Any good headlighting documents

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Hymek
Very Active Forum Member

Any good headlighting documents

Post by Hymek »

Hi All

I'm looking at trying to upgrade the lighting the locos in my personal collection (diesel and Electric) to OR / MSTSbin lighting as its an annoyance to me.

I was wondering if there is any good documentation on converting/modifying existing lighting setups to do this. Ive had a look at the manual for MSTSbin and managed to get the front vehicle of a 142 set to react the correct way, but not the rear. again tried modding Sean Lims class 60 but with no luck.

If I can get it working, I may upload a zip with text files for each class I modify to share the lighting love. (will just be a copy and paste job into existing files) :wink:
http://www.svr-dmu.org.uk - DMU Group WM
http://www.englishelectricpreservation.co.uk/ - English Electric Preservation

Producer of Rolling Stock for the UKTS community Since September 2002
brace2011
Been on the forums for a while

Re: Any good headlighting documents

Post by brace2011 »

Hi

I have already done this. Everything you need is in the BIN manual, but it is a bit complicated. The main thing you need to take account of (in a DMU) is whether the rear car needs to be flipped or not in a consist. It also needs to cope with being a (for example) 1x3car or a 2x3car DMU. I also have set it up so that it works properly when used in an AI train in service or at rest, and the lights in AI trains are time-of-day dependant.

I am just about to go out for the day, but will try to upload my solution later.

Martin
brace2011
Been on the forums for a while

Post by brace2011 »

Hello again

Try the parameters in this doc file. There are 2 sets - one for where the rear car needs to be flipped in its consist, and the other for when it doesn't.

The lights show correctly for the direction of travel, and alter accordingly when you switch cabs to go the other way. The position parameters ( eg. Position ( 1.07 1.55 11.07 ) ) will probably need to be altered to suit your particular engine(s) - I use Shape Viewer together with Measuring Tool to determine the correct positions for the lights. My Position parameters are probably no use to you given that I have a tendency to resize *.s files so that I get matching sizes in my stock.

Also, if the lights slope you need to put in suitable Elevation parameters ( eg. for HST engines I use Elevation ( -44 -44 -44 ), while for Voyagers I use Elevation ( -20 -20 -20 ) for the inner lights and Elevation ( -35 -35 -35 ) for the outer ones). You can play with the numbers to get the effect you want.

Finally, these parameters work with AI trains so that daytime lights show in the daytime and nighttime lights otherwise.

I hope this gives you the start you want

Martin
Attachments
DMU lights - BIN + OR.doc
(62 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Hymek
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Hymek »

Hi Martin

Thanks for the Info. Managed to get lights working on the Class 92 model now so I think I have more idea on what I'm doing on locos (Hopefully :wink: ) Havent done any AI lighting but have got what I wanted for the player loco, Just need to see if I can get it working on some other non bin lighted locos then I may upload results to help others shed some light :wink: (bad pun I know :roll: )

Will have a look at your doc next time I get a moment to see if it can help with the pacer lighting issues
http://www.svr-dmu.org.uk - DMU Group WM
http://www.englishelectricpreservation.co.uk/ - English Electric Preservation

Producer of Rolling Stock for the UKTS community Since September 2002

Return to “[OR] Help for Beginners”