Scenery Problems In Activities

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

PGH60
Well Established Forum Member

Scenery Problems In Activities

Post by PGH60 »

Hi,when running an activity as I drive along, the scenery in the distance keeps popping up so the activity does not seem to run smoothly. can anyone offer any help please and are there any settings in OR that can minimise this.Thanks. Peter
dennisat

Re: Scenery Problems In Activities

Post by dennisat »

PGH60 wrote: ...the scenery in the distance keeps popping up so the activity does not seem to run smoothly...
This is because every shape has a maximum viewing distance and some of them are quite short - less than 500m. You get the same effect on MSTS but there is more of a "fade in" I think. OR fades shapes in at the viewing distance you set in "Options - Video". If a shape's maximum viewing distance is less than the viewing distance you've set (or left defaulted), it will appear to spring out of the ground which is quite disconcerting. You can go to the "Options - Experimental" tab and try selecting "Extend maximum viewing distance to horizon". This works very well for me but I've got a fairly powerful PC. For heavily sceneried routes you could take a hit on frame rates, which you might find unacceptable. If this is the case you could reduce your viewing distance, leaving "Extend maximum viewing distance to horizon" set. You might, though, have to reduce it so that the horizon is then unacceptably close. Anyway, it's something to experiment with.

Dennis
[album 193027 OR_Supporter_Logo_Red.jpg] The best way to go
PGH60

Re: Scenery Problems In Activities

Post by PGH60 »

Hi Dennis thanks for the advice I will play about with the settings to try to improve things.Peter.

Return to “[OR] Help for Beginners”