A simple setup???

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

bobnapper
New to the Forums

A simple setup???

Post by bobnapper »

My six year old grandson wants to play with a train simulator so i installed OR and generally he is very happy with it. Apart from the well documented issues of trains refusing to move in OR even though they work fine in MSTS. I am not worried about editing .wag or .eng files to fix the issue, but i can't find a simple generic brake type, function, etc. that I can copy/paste to make things go. At six years old, he isn't interested in prototypical running (he will happily run London Underground stock through central Wales) so if anyone has anything helpful he will be very happy. Thanks in advance.
dee4141
Very Active Forum Member

Re: A simple setup???

Post by dee4141 »

For variety I would be inclined to stick with MSTS, at least you know that all activities will work. If it must be OR then I would suggest you download any of the OR activities from the Library, again you'll know that the Player train has been tested and proved.
bobnapper
New to the Forums

Re: A simple setup???

Post by bobnapper »

I have MSTS and having followed the advice elsewhere it is installed on Windows 10. However, OR is a more reliable application, and is being actively developed. I might have to try and persuade him to wait for OR specific content to be developed. I had hoped that a simple .eng / .wag template that I could drop into the existing stock might be available. If such a thing does not exist, then I shall have to continue trial and error sessions to see what will work, and leave him with just those consists.

Return to “[OR] Help for Beginners”