Brake problems

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Brake problems

Post by coolhand101 »

slipperman12 wrote:Hi,
I don't know how realistic that is - did Class 47s have vacuum brakes?
Yes, the class 47 had dual brakes - air and vacuum, as did most UK locomotives. It has been mention over at ET about implementing dual brakes for locos.

The simple method is to add two brake readouts, and then let OR automatically parse the brake being used via the wagons or coaches.

Thanks
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Ged,
quick answer, yes.
Stephen
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Post by coolhand101 »

stephenrwells wrote:Hi Ged,
quick answer, yes.
Stephen
Quick or long. I have already answered Ged's question with a bit more info ?
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Coolhand101,

When I did my quick reply your post hadn't shown and I was intending to give more detail later when I was on the computer rather than my mobile - I can type faster this way.

Yes your reply gives all the neccessary information.

Regards,

Stephen
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Post by coolhand101 »

stephenrwells wrote:Hi Coolhand101,

When I did my quick reply your post hadn't shown and I was intending to give more detail later when I was on the computer rather than my mobile - I can type faster this way.

Yes your reply gives all the neccessary information.

Regards,

Stephen
No problem stephen :wink:

I have been doing a quick test on vacuum brakes with diesels and wagons. No matter what brakes rates you apply, these seem to be almost fixed.

Class 33 diesel loco with 15 vacuum brake wagons. The more wagons or coaches, the worst the rates were. Infact, the apply rate was worse than the release rate with a longer train. However, by adding this parameter in the engine section of the loco i was testing:-

Code: Select all

ORTSBrakePipeChargingRate ( 100.0 ) 
The vacuum brakes became much better in application. You may need to tinker with the value for better results.

Thanks
a214sli
Established Forum Member
Location: 'Route-building' North West of England, plus starting Waverley Route join up from Carlisle

Post by a214sli »

slipperman12 wrote:Hi fellas,
Vacuum brakes still don't work correctly under Open Rails - it is the subject of a thread on Elvastower raised by David Forrest.

Have you tried initialising the brakes - <SHIFT> + / keys together?

Cheers,
Ged
This method works for me for steam locos and DMMUs but not diesel or electric locos.
copperpen
Been on the forums for a while

Post by copperpen »

Ged

The class 47 as built was dual fitted, vac and air. These became classes 47/0, /3, /4 and /7 in later years. The 47/9 were only fitted with air brakes. As dual brake systems are not yet modelled, it would be OK to change the air for vac in the eng file.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi copperpen,
Many thanks for the info :)

Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
a214sli
Established Forum Member
Location: 'Route-building' North West of England, plus starting Waverley Route join up from Carlisle

Post by a214sli »

Hmm, in the meantime I can now drive the vac EM1 E26000 properly due to making the following values in the .eng files 0:

DoesBrakeCutPower( 0 )
BrakeCutsPowerAtBrakeCylinderPressure( 0 )
a214sli
Established Forum Member

Post by a214sli »

Plus inserting this in the eng and wag files
ORTSBrakePipeChargingRate ( 100.0 )

Plus going through Route Riter and altering the application and release rates to 70, plus altering all the vacuum brake types to single pipe.

seem to be working.
a214sli
Established Forum Member

Post by a214sli »

...except it appears necessary to alter many eng/wag files individually as they have several brake items listed e.g. changing
BrakeEquipmentType ( "Triple_valve, Auxilary_reservoir, Emergency_brake_reservoir" )
to
BrakeEquipmentType ( "Vacuum_brake, Handbrake" )

:(
Pentacone
New to the Forums

Post by Pentacone »

stephenrwells wrote:Hi Peter and Ged,

Just to confirm that although brake types can be mismatched in MSTS with Open Rails the whole consist must have the same brake type, the only exception is that you can mix vacuum_single_pipe with vacuum_piped. However, Open Rails doesn't like a Vacuum_piped wagon at the end of a consist - if a brake van I normally change it to vacuum_single_pipe with a max brake force of 0KN as below

BrakeEquipmentType ( "Handbrake, Vacuum_single_pipe" )
BrakeSystemType ( "Vacuum_single_pipe" )
MaxBrakeForce( 0KN )
MaxHandbrakeForce( 25kN )
NumberOfHandbrakeLeverSteps( 100 )

Regards,

Stephen
Dear All,

I Followed This Advice of Stephen, With Interest .......

I was Having a Problem with "Steam-Engines", With Tenders ....... After "Uncoupling" the Consist ........

I Couldn't Move The Engine ....... !!!

I Experimented with Different Engines, and with Different "Tender" Combinations ...... But to No Avail ........ !!!

So, After Reading Stephen, I Realised that the "Tender" Had Become a "Brake-Van" ....... The "Last" In The Consist ....... !!

Therefore I Inserted Stephen's Figures into a Very Old MSTS Route ( KWVR ) ....... And "PRESTO" ........ A Result ....... !!!

The Tender Brakes were Far Too Complicated, as a "Braked-Vehicle" ....... And So to Reduce The "Complication", Allowed the Brakes to Release ....... !!

Plus, I Found That The "Adheasion" was Incorrect ........ It Was Toooooo Heavy ....... !! ...... So I Used The Loco "Adheasion" ....... And WOW ..... What a Feeling of Power and Reality ....... !!!

Now, There is One More Thing That I Found ....... Clicking on a Wagon in the Consist ...... Brings Up a "Menu" ...... Allowing "Hand-Brakes" to be "Set" ....... And The "Brake-Pipe" to be "Disconnected" ........ "WORKS-A-TREAT" ........ !!!

So ....... I am Sorry for Those of Us Who "Do-Not-Like-to-Fiddle-With-the-Old-Files" ........ But, Use "ConTEXT" Editor ....... It is "Free" ....... And Brilliant ....... !!! ...... Especially With The "Line-Numbers" Showing Down the Left-Hand-side ........ !! ....... Text File Editing is a "Breeze" ....... And The "MSTS / OpenRail" Reality is No Less Than ...... "Stunning" ......... !!!

http://www.contexteditor.org/index.php

With Kindest Regards,
Joseph Peter Sheehan
"PENTACONE"
NZRRAILWAYS46463
Getting the hang of things now
Location: Somewhere in the Southern part of the North Island of New Zealand

Post by NZRRAILWAYS46463 »

this is why i don't use open rails due to the problems that people are facing
31lima
Getting the hang of things now

Post by 31lima »

I think what would help here is a tabular compilation of 'Fixes for MSTS content in OR' along the lines of 'Issue - possible cause - solution(s)'. A lot of this iseems to be 'out there' and newbies like me or returning old-bies (?) have to do a lot of poking about, somethimes asking questions for which answers may have been found and published somewhere. Having this all in one place, and where it could be added to, might be useful.

For example:

Issue: Possible Cause(s) Possible fix or workaround
Train won't move off, accelerates slowly, and can't reach a decent speed. 1. Brakes not released on coaches/wagons. 1. Use Shift+/ ('Initialise brakes') to release train brakes.
(visible in Shift+F5 display)

Not actually sure the above example's diagnosis is right or if it is, that there's not a better solution, but you get the picture.

Might have a go at this, because I'm still finding things out myself, though more experienced hands than I could do a better job.

I'm finding OR indispensible, despite some issues, for all of which I've so far been lucky enough to be able to find and implement a fix or a workaround. Time spent on doing this has been trivial compared to time spent playing and enjoying MSTS afresh. Amongst the Open Rails features I appreciate most are longer horizon and object visibility range (with the right settings) so that you rarely if ever see stuff popping into or out of view; ability to support my monitor's native 1600x900 resolution so I see sharper, undistorted images; ability to turn on vehicle sway aka 'vibration'; ability to turn on superelevation for existing routes (tho sadly with some track types, there are probs like losing the 3rd rail); better dynamic shadows; ability to add automatic track sounds for points or curve squeal; higher FPS and less loading stutter even at higher detail settings and with more detail-packed routes; more realistic exhaust smoke; continuing support including the option of regular updates for the less cautious, in between major releases. And it's free!
copperpen
Been on the forums for a while

Post by copperpen »

The difference between MSTS and Open Rails (including its current warts) is like comparing a model t ford with a modern car. In capabilities alone Open Rails is light years ahead of MSTS.

Return to “[OR] Help for Beginners”