Open Rails Tutorial Activities

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

steamer1960
Getting the hang of things now

Open Rails Tutorial Activities

Post by steamer1960 »

I am currently working with a team to develop a series of tutorial activities Open Rails.

This activities are aimed at newer OR players, and will provided them with a graded approach to learning and practicing basic operations and functions within OR.

AT present, it is proposed to develop a series of 5 activities covering the following basic operations:
#1 - Basic OR Controls
#2 - Train starting, stopping and steam management
#3 - Brake control (Air)
#4 - Brake control (Non-Air)
#5 - Basic shunting movements

These activities will be developed on the Zig Zag steam route demonstrating the capabilities of Open Rails v1.0+ -http://openrails.org/download/content/

A beta version of the first activity (Basic OR Game Controls) is now available -http://www.zigzag.coalstonewcastle.com. ... loads/#090.

These activities are not designed to replace the manual documentation, rather to provide a "quick start" guide.

The activity development team would be interested in any relevant feedback or suggestions.

Thanks

Cheers

Peter

Coals to Newcastle
dee4141
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Open Rails Tutorial Activities

Post by dee4141 »

Sounds a great idea....I'll be giving this a try. Thanks.
dee4141
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dee4141 »

Just tried the first Tutorial which identifies the relevant keys. It is well set out and easy/straightforward to understand. My only niggle was the small description screen which I found difficult to scroll. I use Windows 10 - not sure if this could be the reason? I had to keep trying to scroll up and down to get the full wording of a paragraph.
MikeandDi
Well Established Forum Member

Post by MikeandDi »

I have just run tutorial number one, having only installed the Zig Zag route after reading this post.

It worked well for me. I did not have any problem scrolling through the information screens, although I agree with Danny that they are rather small. I am also using Windows 10.

Hopefully this will help to generate more interest in Open Rails, which I am now using exclusively for MSTS activities.

In future, I hope that there will be more information on adjusting rolling stock to run correctly in Open Rails. My own attempts at this sometimes work, and sometimes are a dismal failure.

Thanks to Peter and the team for this.

Mike
steamer1960

Post by steamer1960 »

Thanks for the feedback so far.
MikeandDi wrote:although I agree with Danny that they are rather small.
I agree that the pop up windows are small, but OR doesn't allow for expanding these windows, as normally the messages wouldn't be as long as those in the tutorial.
MikeandDi wrote:In future, I hope that there will be more information on adjusting rolling stock to run correctly in Open Rails. My own attempts at this sometimes work, and sometimes are a dismal failure.
Have a look at this link, as some of the info here might be of assistance is setting up stock.

http://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/physics/

Cheers
steamer1960

Post by steamer1960 »

The second activity on Basic Train Control has now been completed - http://www.zigzag.coalstonewcastle.com. ... loads/#091

If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
wampy
New to the Forums

Post by wampy »

Good day from Sunny South Africa.
I have joined this forum to learn to drive a train, and then we will see.
I have viewed the video: Open Rails Demo Model1 v5.mp4 three times.
Installed OR on Windows 10, and downloaded Open Rails Demo Model1 for Open Rails content. Started OR and made sure the application sees the content. (Good installation documentation) Did not drive the train yet.
Noticed further content and tutorial available from e.g. http://www.burrinjuck.coalstonewcastle. ... e-install/
Keen on that because of the tutorial content.
This wants an OR root folder: C:\Open Rails Train Simulator
My default OR root folder is: C:\Program Files (x86) \ Open Rails
Any comment on that; shall I reinstall OR?
Now where can I obtain my learners license, is it just release the brakes and go?
Rgs, Wampy.
steamer1960

Post by steamer1960 »

wampy wrote: Noticed further content and tutorial available from e.g. http://www.burrinjuck.coalstonewcastle. ... e-install/
Keen on that because of the tutorial content.
What tutorials are available from Burrinjuck, do you mean Zig Zag? (see links above)
wampy wrote: This wants an OR root folder: C:\Open Rails Train Simulator
My default OR root folder is: C:\Program Files (x86) \ Open Rails
Any comment on that; shall I reinstall OR?
Why would you need reinstall it? What problems are you experiencing?
wampy wrote: is it just release the brakes and go?
Yes. Can you expand on this comment.

If you are asking what other controls do you need to operate to get the train going, then the tutorials provided for the Zig Zag route might be of help.
wampy
New to the Forums

Post by wampy »

Morning Steamer, Thanks for your reply.
With my initial "surfing" of various Train Simulator sites I may have mixed up Burrinjuck with Zig Zag.
The tutorials are the attraction, so I will install the Zig Zag content and add the tutorials.
I have not experienced any problems, just trying to start with care.
Wim
wampy
New to the Forums

Post by wampy »

After studying the Zig Zag web, I uninstalled the default installation of OR that had the Demo Model 1 Content and reinstalled with the root folder as recommended, plus the ZZ Route and the tutorials. Good instructions. Starts up and looks good. Thanks for the tutorials. I am below junior status, but learning. Moving the camera makes me feel queezy.
Wampy.

Return to “[OR] Help for Beginners”