Troughs

This sim is a brand new, free game engine built on a Windows XNA foundation. It breathes new life into MSTS content as OpenRails is backwards compatible with MSTS routes, activities, and train sets. It's actively in development and approaching v1.0. Please visit the OpenRails web site for minimum HW specifications and software dependencies. The best way to participate is to ask questions as many members of the OpenRails development team participate in the forums.

Moderator: Moderators

shedbog
Getting the hang of things now

Troughs

Post by shedbog »

Hi Everyone,
Can you please tell me where to find a water trough file and then how to install it at various points in a route
Thanks
Graham
BrianB
Well Established Forum Member

Re: Troughs

Post by BrianB »

G'day Graham,

Unfortunately it is not as straightforward as that. There is no such thing as a 'water trough file'.

Water troughs have to be placed by an experienced route builder, not just a 'general OR user'.

Water troughs are a function of the underlying track system, either MSTS default tracks or something like X-Tracks.

Water troughs have to be placed as separate sections of track connecting to each other, generally a trough is somewhere between 400 to 600 metres long. Water trough track sections are available in 100m and 50m sections. When placed in the route and saved, the trough sections have the required 'code' to enable them to be active - however, don't forget the loco / tender files must have the required parameters to be able to pickup from troughs. When used with OR and the appropriate code in the loco/tender files, OR can give a fairly good visual representation of water pickup at speed.

The biggest restriction is that only STRAIGHT trough sections are available, so you can't place troughs on curves, not even wide radius curves.

When I placed troughs in my 'Huddersfield and Environs' (2 places) and 'LYR Heartland' (5 places), I had to massage the track layout to be able to get a 400-600m straight section. So, in those routes, a few troughs which should be on curves are laid as straights only, due to the restriction.

If you are comfortable with using RE to replace track sections, you might be able to remove normal track and place water trough sections in your route(s) - that is if you can find a long enough straight section to take them.

Regards, Brian
"Any railway that paints their locomotives such a magnificent shade of red, must be the most superior in the land" (apologies to the late David Jenkinson).
shedbog
Getting the hang of things now

Post by shedbog »

Thanks BrianB
I understand what you are saying, so i don't think i will attempt it
cheers
Graham
docmartin
Very Active Forum Member

Post by docmartin »

Hi Brian,
When used with OR and the appropriate code in the loco/tender files, OR can give a fairly good visual representation of water pickup at speed.
Can you tell me what the "appropriate code" is. I have a couple of sets of water troughs in my Chiltern line route and would like to be able to see how OR represents the water pickup.

Cheers, Martin
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

There is some information on the Coals to Newcastle website.
Here is an example of visual effects for a GWR tender:

Effects (
SpecialEffects (

Comment ( ==== Water Scoop - RHS ==== )
WaterScoopFX (
-0.25 0.1 -0.75
1 0 1
)

Comment ( ==== Water Scoop - LHS ==== )
WaterScoopFX (
-0.25 0.1 -0.75
-1 0 1
)

Comment ( ==== Tender Water Overflow - RHS ==== )
TenderWaterOverflowFX (
0.39 3.03 -3.0
0 1 1
)

Comment ( ==== Tender Water Overflow - LHS ==== )
TenderWaterOverflowFX (
-0.39 3.03 -3.0
0 1 1
)
)
)
Regards

Darwin
docmartin
Very Active Forum Member

Post by docmartin »