The Showdown: SMAA Vs FXAA

General discussion about RailWorks, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

kirkheath
Very Active Forum Member

Re: The Showdown: SMAA Vs FXAA

Post by kirkheath »

I would like to know method of obtaining nice looks and frames of the rw settings or if it is better using Nvidia control panel.
I have a i5 2500k
GTX480 and 8GB,
It's annoying me to death how I struggle to get lovely quality and nice frames
Member of DMLL. Owners of 7820,3850, 3845 and 2874
andynwt
Well Established Forum Member

Post by andynwt »

I have found the best tactic is to simply turn shadows off or at least down. I have an i3 overclocked to 4Ghz and an ATI 6850 graphics card. If I have shadows on, the game is often struggling along at the minimum frame rate. Even with shadows off, I get fairly poor FPS with WCML, but that is in a different class to all other routes in terms of scenery complexity. Actually, overclocking from 3Ghz to 4Ghz gave me about 10 extra FPS on average, so perhaps RW is more CPU dependant than graphics card dependant?

However, the update that is currently being beta tested is supposed to resolve a number of performance issues, so perhaps wait and see if that helps.
kirkheath
Very Active Forum Member

Post by kirkheath »

andynwt wrote:I have found the best tactic is to simply turn shadows off or at least down. I have an i3 overclocked to 4Ghz and an ATI 6850 graphics card. If I have shadows on, the game is often struggling along at the minimum frame rate. Even with shadows off, I get fairly poor FPS with WCML, but that is in a different class to all other routes in terms of scenery complexity. Actually, overclocking from 3Ghz to 4Ghz gave me about 10 extra FPS on average, so perhaps RW is more CPU dependant than graphics card dependant?

However, the update that is currently being beta tested is supposed to resolve a number of performance issues, so perhaps wait and see if that helps.
Yes I bought the i5 sandybridge for the reason of easy overclocking and mine is running nicely at 4.4Ghz Agreed RW is very CPU dependent, trouble is in the 2nd gen of intel chips, OC'ing is very different to the 1st gen Core Duo 2's as the clock speed is always at 100Mhz, but the multipliers are the part changed. So I don't think it benefits in that sense hugely.

I may try to cheat and lower detail and apply more AA
Member of DMLL. Owners of 7820,3850, 3845 and 2874

Return to “[RW] General RW Discussion”