RW exporting from 3DS HELP!!

The intricacies, or simplicities of 3D modelling are worth understanding. Alongside other forums like Building Rolling Stock, Scenic Item Creation and the other tool specific forums here's another place to ask questions that just don't quite fit the other forums.

Moderator: Moderators

kieran1
New to the Forums

RW exporting from 3DS HELP!!

Post by kieran1 »

Hi everyone,

I have started dipping my toe into the world of creating assets for RW,

I watched many tutorial videos but one thing just isnt working.

i understand that you have to texture the model in 3DS by creating the texture in photoshop, then saving as a tga then converting it to ace (using the tool in the RW folder (RWAceTool.exe i think its called) and then you load the .ace texture into the material editor in 3ds then texture it then export it with the RW plugin to an igs file.

I have tried this and .ace is not showing in the material editor, i then did some research and found that 3ds no longer supports this so we must now use .dds format.

so i loaded the .dds i made in photoshop into the material editor and textured it fine, then when i came to export to railworks intermediate geometery (.igs) it says it cant export it because the texture is a "non RW texture" the exact error is "non RW texture found"

is there any way around this? I have seen someone do this fine with ace in material editor in 3ds max 2009 so should i just revert to 2009 or is there a way to fix this problem?

Many thanks

Kieran
ThTensen
Been on the forums for a while

Re: RW exporting from 3DS HELP!!

Post by ThTensen »

First, which version of 3DS Max do you use? I presume 2009. In that case you've to work with ace-files! When you apply the material, did you choose Kuju-material in the materialeditor?

Dick

Return to “[RW] 3D Modelling”