Shaders

The intricacies, or simplicities of 3D modelling are worth understanding. Alongside other forums like Building Rolling Stock, Scenic Item Creation and the other tool specific forums here's another place to ask questions that just don't quite fit the other forums.

Moderator: Moderators

RiscaStation
Very Active Forum Member

Shaders

Post by RiscaStation »

Hi all,

Is there any way of knowing what effect the shaders used in RailWorks create?
For example if I were looking for a slightly shiny finish what shader should I be looking to use?

Kind regards
Mike
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Shaders

Post by Irishrailguy »

Really it goes by trial and error. Most of the common ones have been documented somewhere, but in terms of individual effects like shine you need to look for a shader that has the effect you're looking for in the name. Shine, in computer graphics terms, is called specularity. So to get a shine or 'specular' effect on your model look for a shader with 'spec' in the shader name. If you want shine without the reflection I suggest using 'TrainSpecEnv.fx' or 'TrainSpecEnvMask.fx'. If you don't want reflection but want shine you will have to make the alpha of the texture completely black, then scroll down to the bottom of your material in the material editor and find the section called 'lighting material' and expand it. You will see 2 parameters, the 'specular power' section and the specular swatch. A large value for the spec power will give more shine, so try 4-8 and preview in RW to see the results, then reduce or increase the value to your liking. The swatch determines the color of the shine, change that to your liking also. In order to determine the nature of the shine (how it looks when you see it) can be determined by the 3 U/V/W values at the top of the list just below your shader type drop-down list. I don't remember which of them controls which part of the shine phong, but playing around with them (between a value of 0-64) will give you an idea of what each one does.

Anything else don't hesitate to ask :)

Kev
RiscaStation
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Shaders

Post by RiscaStation »

Hi Kev,

Thank you for the reply, I will try out what you have suggested.
I use Blender 2.63 there are control settings for Spec and its strength in the materials section, will have a play around.
I think its the UVArgument for phong control.
Its a starting point for me so thanks again.

Kind regards
Mike

Return to “[RW] 3D Modelling”