Annoying duplicate mesh issue

The intricacies, or simplicities of 3D modelling are worth understanding. Alongside other forums like Building Rolling Stock, Scenic Item Creation and the other tool specific forums here's another place to ask questions that just don't quite fit the other forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Annoying duplicate mesh issue

Post by Irishrailguy »

The title says it all... I've finished today to find that there has, at some point, been a glitch in Max and a duplicate of my model has been created on top of itself (this strange stuff happens nearly all the time when I use shift+copy polys or the attach command and then undo it), there is also some weird behavior with the move gizmo, I go to move the object, nothing happens until I release the mouse button (no real time movement) and the distance at which it is moved is practically exponential (the object's miles away), deleting the 3dsmax.ini fixes it each time. But today this duplicate sneaked into the scene and at some point I unknowingly welded one of the duplicate vertexes to the original, meaning that when I went to delete the double, I couldn't do so by the usual 'select all elements and deselect the originals which were visible to me', it's now one element. I tried the DDF script from here: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scrip ... blefaces-0 (I know it's old but it still works), I also tried the built in STL check modifier, but it only returned 2 errors.

What's particularly odd is that although there are duplicate faces in what appears to be the exact same spot (delete one and it appears as if nothing has changed), there's absolutely no Z-fighting, and I'm thinking that this is why none of the scripts have detected them, they were made from a glitch so they behave strangely and act as if they aren't in the same spot as the originals. So I'm stumped as how to get rid of them.

Could someone direct me?

Thanks,

Kev
eyore
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Annoying duplicate mesh issue

Post by eyore »

Hi,

Don't know if this will work but try selecting overlapping faces using xview. Use Select Result feature then delete. This should remove the duplicates.

If it doesn't work just close the programme without saving to revert to original state.
Phil

Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Annoying duplicate mesh issue

Post by Irishrailguy »

Hi Eyore, sorry for the late reply. I spent a while fiddling around and for some reason I was able to then select the outer mesh and delete it as an element, don't know why it didn't work before but at least it's fixed.

Thanks,

Kev

Return to “[RW] 3D Modelling”