Import Into Railworks

The intricacies, or simplicities of 3D modelling are worth understanding. Alongside other forums like Building Rolling Stock, Scenic Item Creation and the other tool specific forums here's another place to ask questions that just don't quite fit the other forums.

Moderator: Moderators

dalmahoyhill2
Getting the hang of things now

Import Into Railworks

Post by dalmahoyhill2 »

Hi Guys,

i am having my first go at 3d modelling into railworks.

I am fluent in drawings in Autocad, so drawings 3d models is fine. Texturing them and importing them into Railworks is my big problem.

All my attempts to preview a IGS file has failed, I have gone through railworks wikis and 3dmax tutorials to get the texture wrapping to look ok but not sure what i am doing wrong, i keep on getting the message

Shapes do not accept seperate U and V clamping.

Rendering them in 3dmax they appear spot on. Exporting them to IGS the objects are correctly labled. I have used the Textdiff renderer with linear filter. Mapping for the texture slot is using explicit map channel using real world scale.

I am sure I have made some elementary beginners mistake.

Also in the blueprint what does apply to scenario do?

I am also going to draw up a detailed truss bridge with lots of bracing. I notice one of the shaders can use a mask to cut holes in the texture. Would this be less of a processor hit than drawing and texturing the bracing elements separately, they will just be rectangular plates?
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Import Into Railworks

Post by Irishrailguy »

Are you making the models in 3ds Max or in AutoCad? Really no project should ever be undertaken outside of the supported 3 programs that are used (Blender/3DSMax/3D Crafter/Sketchup), that particular error is one I've never heard of myself, so that would suggest to me it's not made in the correct way. What form is the object being exported as? All models need to be in the form of an editable poly, not a mesh or NURBS form. Also, are you using the right shaders with the right parameters? Nothing but a Kuju material can be used in any part of the scene.

The error suggests a mapping incompatibility so I suggest trying to re-unwrap the model using the auto unwrap. And make sure that no part of the project was made in an unsupported 3rd party application.

For the truss bridge I suggest making most of the bracing out of individual boxes or flat polys, depending on the size and significance, use any shader that supports transparency (most shaders beginning with 'Train' don't, as far as I'm aware). But the art of RW blog covered a useful texture for close up scenery objects like rail bridges, TrainLightBumpSpecMask:
http://the-art-of-rws.blogspot.ie/searc ... -results=7

Let us know,

Thanks,

Kev
dalmahoyhill2

Post by dalmahoyhill2 »

I prepared the model in autocad. for two reasons, i am fluent in it which I am not with 3dmax and also because its designed for drawing up precision engineering which 3dmax doesn't seem to be.
i have imported it to 3dmax as in autocad dwg format. I assumed as both are autodesk programmes there would be no import problem. I renumbered the objects as per the kuju guidance into proper order.

i tried a simple object with two shapes and i got this into railworks with one object not visible. i have attempted a slightly more complicated bridge pier and this is where i am getting the error.

I am using Kuju textures with the tex diff shader, i read another post which said you had to start again if you had used anything else and deleted it. As per guidance i set the UVW mapping in the modifier window to box.

I will try and draw something in 3dmax using the same texture from scratch and see if i get the same issue. I was hoping to apply i bump map but one step at a time first. Thanks for the link. I was planning to build a through truss bridge of a more typical victorian nature like the runcorn bridge which has lots of bracing.
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Irishrailguy »

That, most probably, is where the problem is being created. I've never heard of anyone using Autocad to make a model for RW. Railworks is very picky about how the model is presented to it before conversion, so it's probably the method in which you made it is creating the error. Just do as you thought, make a box in Max and export to RW that way.

Also if you plan on using bumpmapping make sure you change the shader to one which supports it (any .fx shader with 'bump' in the name)

Let me know how you get on.

Kev
dalmahoyhill2

Post by dalmahoyhill2 »

Hi Kev
Yep think you are right, I am going to have to get to grips with drawing in 3dmax, shame i can churn out detailed 3d structures super quick in autocad.

I tried a gabion wall which has worked fine as a scenery blueprint. Its not much but its my first attempt so there is a little bit of satisfaction that it has worked. I am going to try and see if I can get a lofted retaining wall out of it.

I checked the Kuju truss bridge over paddington station and the bridge bracing is a texture with a transparency mask, so when i get up to speed on drawing i will have a go at preparing one.

Even though i set the Textdiff shader to tile, when i used a rectangular gabion wall i got a stretched texture on the longer side. Again i am sure a elementry error.

Thanks for your help with these beginners questions.
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Irishrailguy »

Hi,

No problem, it's not too hard to get to grips with modelling in Max if you use another Autodesk product the learning curve should be less steep than for beginners.

As for the uvw mapping problem, I personally don't use tiling on my models, I find that a cleaner result is created by breaking up a complex model's uv maps into various material ID's and creating a number of small textures which cover all the individual faces, preventing stretching. It's a far longer process however as it involves a lot of manual editing to make the maps more neat and easier to texture, you'll have to get familiar with uvw mapping and shadow baking to get a good result for a detailed model like a truss bridge. If you'd like to take a look at how material ID's work look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNMxO4VDcwA (Note that the method shown at the start is not the material ID method, the correct method starts at 2:40)

This allows you to take a model with many polys and create multiple maps for certain polys rather than squashing it all into one large map, it creates a much better result for textures.

Any other questions do ask :)

Kev

Return to “[RW] 3D Modelling”