It's just "No Chuffing", Good.

Fire up your 3D modelling tool and start building some rolling stock, or find out what others are previewing here. If you have questions about how to make the blueprints work or what names mean what in models, here's the place to find out your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

NeutronIC
Atomic Systems Team
Atomic Systems Team

It's just "No Chuffing", Good.

Post by NeutronIC »

Ahem. Poor pun. :)

Anyway, by now many of you have probably noticed that some folks steam engines are chuffing and some aren't. The Digital Traction large prairies chuff just fine, and stuff by Kevin Martin is also just fine.

Other items - such as 57xx by Matt Ivey, Hall's from DT, Iron Duke by Sly - they don't chuff, they just look like they did in Rail Simulator with the constant spewing of smoke.

I'm happy to report i've found the cause of the problem and it's very easy to fix... i'll also propose a simple fix to RailWorks that will prevent the need for it to happen because really, it is literally just one extra letter in the name of a function call inside RailWorks that turns it from a case sensitive query to a case insensitive one...

Drag/drop the engine .bin file on to serz and then edit the resulting xml. Look for the main area that smoke is done by searching for "particle" until you find the right one - normally it's supposed to be called "Main Smoke Stack" (note the caps) - however Matt Ivey has used "main smoke stack" (note the lower case, oh the crime), and Sly has just used "Smoke Stack". Correct these all to "Main Smoke Stack" with the correct caps. It only occurs once per file.

Now drag/drop the .xml file over serz.exe to recreate the .bin, run railworks and enjoy how much chuffing better it is! :)

Matt.
harveype
Been on the forums for a while

Re: It's just "No Chuffing", Good.

Post by harveype »

Thanks Well done

I was going to spend time trying to work out what that was as my A3 didnt chuff, but now it does. :)
Thanks Matt

Peter
gnash
Established Forum Member

Post by gnash »

Ah !! Thanks mate :D
simuk
Very Active Forum Member

Post by simuk »

Don't suppose you or anyone else can work out how to stop smoke coming out of diesel loco exhausts when the engine is turned off (via the Z key)?
mikesimpson
Very Active Forum Member

Post by mikesimpson »

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the information. The actual line with the error appears to be the <ChildName line,
e.g. <ChildName d:type="cDeltaString">SmokeStack2</ChildName> which should be
changed to <ChildName d:type="cDeltaString">Main Smoke Stack</ChildName>

You should also note that this sometimes appears twice as in Peter Harvey's A3s with twin stacks.
He has named these SmokeStack1 and SmokeStack2 - I have been unable to get these to work
by numbering the Main Smoke Stack entries, so left them both as Main Smoke Stack and it appears
to work OK.

Meanwhile, I have added an option to the Edit Assets in RW_Tools - Just make a list of Steam Locos, and you can select one at a time, Display child Entries, select the smoke stacks and press a button to rename them correctly.

Mike
Mike in OZ - Author of TS-Tools & Route-Riter.
http://www.agenetools.com
I'm not arguing (just explaining why I'm right).
CaptainBazza
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!

Post by CaptainBazza »

Stickied for future reference.

Cheers Bazza
Bullet399
Well Established Forum Member

Post by Bullet399 »

CaptainBazza wrote:Stickied for future reference.

Cheers Bazza
Why that :roll:

Look here http://www.railsimdownloads.com/wiki/ti ... +Component
read you...
Michael

Post by longbow »

You read it here first....
Bullet399
Well Established Forum Member

Post by Bullet399 »

longbow wrote:You read it here first....
:evil: :D :D
read you...
Michael

Post by nicknackpaddywack »

Wont be long until the RWwiki breaks anyway or something happens, its so much easier to find this info here :lol:
CaptainBazza
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!

Post by CaptainBazza »

The glue was cheap this week.

Cheers Bazza
miglietto
Been on the forums for a while

Post by miglietto »

Hi

wiki for child objects refers only the "Main Smoke Stack"
What about other particle emitters like pistons, whistle, sander, steam security valve, ... ?
I was looking for a reference name list but i didn't find it anywhere

thanks
Andrea
PWHolmes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by PWHolmes »

I seem to have a similar problem with Kevin Martin's excellent prairie tanks with the bespoke cabs fitted.

When I open the regulator, the smoke from the chimney stops and there are no chuffs - I have searched the forums and no one else has reported this for these models.

I tried to follow Matt's advice above, but whenever I dropped the .bin file onto the serz.exe icon on my desktop, I get a quick flash of a black window (too quick to read!!!!) and then nothing.

As far as Mike's RW_Tools is concerned, all I can get are runtime and pathing errors and the programme stalls and then reverts to desktop. I'm sorry, Mike, but I do find your programme a tad unfriendly to use, but that is possibly due to me being a thick oldie as no-one else seems to have any trouble.

Any ideas in simpleton terms, anyone?? Please be gentle with me!!!!!

Paul

PS I have just revisited both locos - its only the loco bearing the GWR legend that dont chuff - the loco lettered "Great Western" does. Also, when I deleted both locos and then placed them again, my bespoke cabs have disappeared and the default cab appeared.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!
emrhd01
Very Active Forum Member

Post by emrhd01 »

Hi Paul,
my bespoke cabs have disappeared and the default cab appeared.
Try installing this:

Invalid File ID [21003]

As far as Mike's RW_Tools is concerned, all I can get are runtime and pathing errors and the programme stalls and then reverts to desktop. I'm sorry, Mike, but I do find your programme a tad unfriendly to use, but that is possibly due to me being a thick oldie as no-one else seems to have any trouble.
Mike's RWTools are invaluable, have you read the installation instructions found under the 'Help' Tab, unless you do exactly as detailed you will get the errors you mention, especially check you have setting up the Path to RW correctly. Also if using Vista or Windows 7 ensure you are running as Administrator and you make all RW files 'Read/Write' enabled
Rob.
Proud to be a member of the VW/SSS BETA Testing Team.
PWHolmes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by PWHolmes »

Thanks, Rob - I have now got my cabs back!

Still no chuffing from the loco bearing "GWR" ( Loco bearing "Great Western" is fine). It seems that the chuffs are missing and that whenever the wheels start to turn the smoke from the chimney is discontinued, only to restart when I come to a stand.

Return to “[RW] Building Rolling Stock”