Editing Default Files

Fire up your 3D modelling tool and start building some rolling stock, or find out what others are previewing here. If you have questions about how to make the blueprints work or what names mean what in models, here's the place to find out your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Editing Default Files

Post by RSAdam »

RailWorks FAQ wrote:We do not recommend this is undertaken. Due to the dynamic nature that updates are provided by Steam, changes to core files are not possible. Any core files that are detected as different to that supplied will be re-downloaded when Steam updates to ensure RailWorks continues to function as intended.
If you wish to make improvements to default content provided in RailWorks, it is recommended that a duplicate copy is made and this one is edited. Also ensure that the duplicate is given a unique browser name to prevent it conflicting with the original.

This method also ensures that if any changes to default files are made by the official development team, your changes will not be lost.
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Editing Default Files

Post by karma99 »

Can I just use the Deltic cab view "fix" as an example here and ask, is this saying that if you edit the view for the Deltic then the next time that Steam peers at the files it will notice the file is different and re-download the original version overwriting the edited version, even if the Deltic is not part of any recent updates and doesn't need to be touched?
Links: Shop <> Blog <> Facebook
RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSAdam »

karma99 wrote:Can I just use the Deltic cab view "fix" as an example here and ask, is this saying that if you edit the view for the Deltic then the next time that Steam peers at the files it will notice the file is different and re-download the original version overwriting the edited version, even if the Deltic is not part of any recent updates and doesn't need to be touched?
Yes. Though incidentally, the adjustment to the Deltic Cab view has infact been included! :)
longbow
Very Active Forum Member

Post by longbow »

Oh dear. Problems if you hack the core game files. That's not going to be popular.
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

That is why I look at minimal usage of Steam.

I hope that RSC -- in contrast to the past -- will provide very detailed information in advance of any patch to educate users of what is coming their way next time they click "update" in Steam.

Under this condition, I see the picture like this:

1) Modified versions of default stock. The good way in my book is to create a new XML file and have that point to a) the original files in the original folders, b) modified files in the new folder. The new XML file sits in the new folder, too, of course. E.g., the Black5 becomes Black5 of producer AndiS with nothing but the XML file and my hacks in Assets/AndiS/Black5.

2) Modified kernel files like swapping A and D. Keep a list of these files, backup before update and restore afterwards. Can be done in a pair of .bat files.

3) HDR hacks and the likes. Bad karma. Steam is built to prevent such things, because for every good thing, there are 1000 pirated copies and 1000 cheats for online games (like extra long sword). If you love the HDR hack, stay with a version as long as you can.

It might be an idea to have different installs on different computers. The second computer will always have the latest version and from that you can copy content selectively. The first will have a rather old core programme with the HDR hack.
wolly1380
Very Active Forum Member

Post by wolly1380 »

So any downloaded improvment's like sounds will instantly be reverted back to default? I do hope not!
Nvidia Geforce settings for Rail Works
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 4&t=103809
TPR Detailng Memeber The First Comunity Built Network!

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/w ... shropshire
AndyUK
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndyUK »

I hope not as well! Did anyone from RS.com sit down and work out the full implications of using Steam before they got carried away by the thoughts of £££££? I assume that the DVD version will be similarly affected unless they provide a different update mechanism like they said they would if there was sufficient demand.

Andy L
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

wolly1380 wrote:So any downloaded improvment's like sounds will instantly be reverted back to default? I do hope not!
You hope in vain according to Adam's reply above.. it's fact. Core files (ie, all the default stuff) WILL be reverted back by Steam irrelevant of whether they need updating or not.
So, still think Steam is a great platform for games that don't demand matching versions for online play and anti-cheat enforcement?
Links: Shop <> Blog <> Facebook
davveb
Established Forum Member

Post by davveb »

karma99 wrote:
wolly1380 wrote:So any downloaded improvment's like sounds will instantly be reverted back to default? I do hope not!
You hope in vain according to Adam's reply above.. it's fact. Core files (ie, all the default stuff) WILL be reverted back by Steam irrelevant of whether they need updating or not.
So, still think Steam is a great platform for games that don't demand matching versions for online play and anti-cheat enforcement?
Heh, we did try to warn them when Steam was first announced as the great new improvement for RailSim. There is something in this for RS.com themselves - I think over the last couple of years there's been a lot of forum gripes which have been caused by people messing with their railsim installation without knowing what they are doing. It gets screwed up, and they post along the lines of "this has stopped working, its rubbish, RSDL needs to fix this". Now with Steam their installation will automatically be repaired.

This also reminds me of the computers in the last company I worked for. They had something called a "epolicy orchestrator" which sat in the background and periodically made sure your computer was configured correctly. Thing was, if you had some software problem, reported it to the IT help desk, and they made some software changes to correct it, the next time the epoliceman did its check it would force the software back to the erroneous state it had previously been in!

Dave B
wolly1380
Very Active Forum Member

Post by wolly1380 »

Well from now I am taking RW offline from steam.

Serously a game such as Rail Works witch has a huge community following to have rolling updates that undoes nearly all the community's work goes aginst why I amo on here

markjudith
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markjudith »

Well as Adam states above make a copy of the default stuff, that sounds ok.................for numpties like me, how do we do that?
Thanks
Mark
EWS37410
Been on the forums for a while

Post by EWS37410 »

markjudith wrote:Well as Adam states above make a copy of the default stuff, that sounds ok.................for numpties like me, how do we do that?
Thanks
Mark
Just isn't ok though. As its more hassle than its worth, and more hassle than it should be. A game like this should be able to be modified. I don't really agree with the excuse about keeping RW in working order. People understand what they are dealing with when they modify it. I do hope this is sorted.
wolly1380
Very Active Forum Member

Post by wolly1380 »

I've just thought (steam comeing out of my eares) if the updates affect JUST the core sim i.e just the the graffics sound and phisyic engine then brilant.
But and as it seems if the updates are going to update everyting there is no way that all of RW users are going to do backups.
That's affectily like asking us to do more work for something where ment to enjoy.
Plus for developers if they do tweek in game proxybins ond so on then there will be a whole host of naming conventions that need to match to ensure changes don't vanish witch again is more work. Everyting that the community now want to do is going to need more work and am sure building models and getting them into the sim is no work in the park

The only update that should come from steam is an updae that does not affect the community's work.

phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Post by phat2003uk »

wolly1380 wrote:I've just thought (steam comeing out of my eares) if the updates affect JUST the core sim i.e just the the graffics sound and phisyic engine then brilant.
But and as it seems if the updates are going to update everyting there is no way that all of RW users are going to do backups.
That's affectily like asking us to do more work for something where ment to enjoy.
Plus for developers if they do tweek in game proxybins ond so on then there will be a whole host of naming conventions that need to match to ensure changes don't vanish witch again is more work. Everyting that the community now want to do is going to need more work and am sure building models and getting them into the sim is no work in the park

The only update that should come from steam is an updae that does not affect the community's work.
Totally agree with your last statement but I would personally edit it to:
The only update that should come from steam is an update that does not affect the community's work unless absolutely neccesary.
longbow
Very Active Forum Member

Post by longbow »

The issue is not whether RS should modify default files - obviously we want them to patch stuff that's broken. The problems arising with RW are 1) Steam's ability to overwrite default files unbidden if they are modified, 2) automatic upgrades mean that potential patch issues can't be identified and files can't be backed up beforehand.

Return to “[RW] Building Rolling Stock”