Class 40

Fire up your 3D modelling tool and start building some rolling stock, or find out what others are previewing here. If you have questions about how to make the blueprints work or what names mean what in models, here's the place to find out your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

alril
Established Forum Member

Class 40

Post by alril »

This has been in development for a few months now and is starting to take shape so its about time it had its own progress thread.

This will be a class 40 pack with quite a fair deal of functionality with realistic driving simulation as well as the nitty gritty stuff when it comes to operating the locomotive. All three variants of class 40 originally delivered to BR have been modelled, these being Central headcode, split headcode and Headcode Discs. Aswell as these, many locomotive specific variations will be incorporated into the pack giving individuality to the class 40 your driving.

For now its early days with basic liveries in the works, then its onto the fun stuff so make sure to keep an eye out for updates!

The cab view is also in the works. The plan is to incorporate as much immersion into the cab as possible.

All of the above is still work in progress so anything looking out of place will be sorted out in time.

Thanks,

Alex
michaeldono
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Class 40

Post by michaeldono »

Looks excellent, I hope this will be the first 'Pro' Loco that ran in BR days. Only thing I could say is that it looks a little bit too shiny, or is that just because its a WIP?
alril
Established Forum Member

Post by alril »

Hi michael,

These are all work in progress but its always good to have another set of eyes to give the loco a look over. These are really fresh out of works condition as is, so the much duller weathered examples seen on BR will be previewed in time to come.

Thanks

Alex
TransportSteve
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TransportSteve »

Absolutely excellent, my favourite BR period diesel locomotive.
Now, what era are you creating these in please, steam heating days, etc, I trust you have the relevant research material, books, etc, wouldn't want you to mix up the Steam heat boiler vents on the different boilers, don't forget now it's long-short-long vents for Clayton boiler model and short-long-short for the Stone model, and don't forget that those locos which had their boiler water tanks removed also had blanking plates fitted over the boiler exhaust ports. You seem to have the pipes in the correct order on your screenshots anyway, but, no blue star stickers, depending on what period you're building these in, the disc variant had 3 handrails on the nose on a lot of engines, centre headcodes had 4 handrails, split headcodes didn't have any, generally, and the nose ladder was only apparent on a few machines after their removal in 1962. I'll be watching this thread with much gusto.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.
i5 4690 3.5GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.
Visit my flickr account - http://www.flickr.com/photos/59849121@N08/
hokitika67
Been on the forums for a while

Post by hokitika67 »

It's a really wonderful model and is also very interesting to know a wide range of variants are to be developed. It's also good to know there will be weathered/ dulled versions. Very well done and best wishes.
alril
Established Forum Member

Post by alril »

Hi steve,

Both boiler roof types have been modelled and will feature on the relevant locos as is the case with removed water tanks. I'll be making sure to pick out all the 3rd handrail locos as well as remaining screws where ladders once stood.
These are work in progress screens so blue stars were missing at the time that shot was taken. Braking variations such as vac only and duel aswell as steam heating options are something that i intend to implement.

Thanks for the kind comments

Alex
conireland

Post by conireland »

This looks superb :D Will be keeping a close eye on its development as you go along
TransportSteve
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TransportSteve »

Brilliant news Alex, thank you, good luck with your project, why isn't there a drool Smilie?...... :lol!:

Cheerz. Steve.
i5 4690 3.5GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.
Visit my flickr account - http://www.flickr.com/photos/59849121@N08/
alril
Established Forum Member

Post by alril »

Thanks for the kind comments,

Today i've been working on the cab view, Hopefully i'll be able to get some switches and controls in later on.
So here's a quick shot showing off some progress. The 5 dial version of the cab is also on the to do list!

Thanks

Alex
michaeldono
Very Active Forum Member

Post by michaeldono »

Looks very good, cabs with a smooth mesh like this are very immersive!
johnnywilliam

Post by johnnywilliam »

Personally I'd love too see a largo logo (as preserved) and ex works liveries. Nice too see a clean and shiny loco from time to time.

Now with this it could mean I have 3 Sets of 40's.... So I'm looking for something that sets your aside from the other two developers!

JW
Rall Sim pc : Intel Dual Core 2.8Ghz E2800, 4Gb Ram, Win7 x64 , HD5450 2Gb Graphics

I Hope you fully appreciate the magnitude of your impending good fortune

YouTube :-http://www.youtube.com/user/sethfiatjus ... ature=mhee
faedundee2
Well Established Forum Member

Post by faedundee2 »

johnnywilliam wrote:Personally I'd love too see a largo logo (as preserved) and ex works liveries. Nice too see a clean and shiny loco from time to time.

Now with this it could mean I have 3 Sets of 40's.... So I'm looking for something that sets your aside from the other two developers!

JW
Having been speaking to Alex throughout the locos development I can categorically confirm there will be more than enough liveries and even more than paint that will set these apart from either of the two currently available :wink: ...
johnnywilliam

Post by johnnywilliam »

faedundee2 wrote:
johnnywilliam wrote:Personally I'd love too see a largo logo (as preserved) and ex works liveries. Nice too see a clean and shiny loco from time to time.

JW
Having been speaking to Alex throughout the locos development I can categorically confirm there will be more than enough liveries and even more than paint that will set these apart from either of the two currently available :wink: ...
Then I look forward to my 3rd set of 40's from an alternative manufacturer :)

JW
Rall Sim pc : Intel Dual Core 2.8Ghz E2800, 4Gb Ram, Win7 x64 , HD5450 2Gb Graphics

I Hope you fully appreciate the magnitude of your impending good fortune

YouTube :-http://www.youtube.com/user/sethfiatjus ... ature=mhee
SouthernElectric
Well Established Forum Member

Post by SouthernElectric »

Alex, would it be possible to have functioning discs and headcode blinds in game at all? much like the changeable blinds on the Class 150/1. Nice work and great progress by the way.
Simon
alril
Established Forum Member

Post by alril »

SouthernElectric wrote:Alex, would it be possible to have functioning discs and headcode blinds in game at all? much like the changeable blinds on the Class 150/1. Nice work and great progress by the way.
Simon
This is something that can be done and i really want to see, so its deffinetly on the to do list.

Thanks

Return to “[RW] Building Rolling Stock”