40ft Intermodal Container Carriages

Fire up your 3D modelling tool and start building some rolling stock, or find out what others are previewing here. If you have questions about how to make the blueprints work or what names mean what in models, here's the place to find out your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

malkymackay
Very Active Forum Member

Re: 40ft Intermodal Container Carriages

Post by malkymackay »

See my edit above. Yes, similar, but much a fair age difference. The FSA is nearly 30 years younger.
Expanding the TS wagon fleet.
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

Ahh Seen the edit now

only two protypes were built... that was handy for me to choose that one then :oops:

Well I have started it so i will finish it :D

if the FFA/FGA is similar to the FSA which is in game, would I bebetter of to not make them and choose something else like the lowliner? what sort of Intermodal Wagons does the 70 haul?

Many Thanks
Image Image
Class 205 Thumper and Class 73 Electro-Diesel currently in the Engine Shed!
malkymackay
Very Active Forum Member

Post by malkymackay »

It's up to you what you model, look on it as a learning excercise. The first model I started to a diagram was a one-off prototype, but it helped me get to grips with Blender, so wasn't a waste of time doing.

The default FSA are outer's only, so have to used in pairs, a bit of an issue when doing 15 or 25 flat consists. There are the matching FTA inner's available in the Class 86 DLC pack, but freeware outer & inner flat's suitable for periods from the 60's onwards would be welcome, I would have thought.

Lowliner's were experimental too, with only a couple being built to a couple of different diagrams.

As for what a 70 would haul, Freightliner have the FSA/FTA dating from 1991, FEA which are Polish built from 2003, FLA which are 40' outer/45' inner low height chassis capable of taking 9' 6'' containers, KFA which are conversions of FFA to be able to operate singly IIRC & KTA 'Pocket Wagons' which are capable of carrying a 9' 6'' container in a well in the chassis.
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

OK thanks for the advice. The 62' look to be stretched versions of my current ones so shouldn't be two hard to copy and modify a set.

have found a (basic) diagram fro KTA 'Pocket Wagons' so should get some of them done :D

the 42' Model is now a complete set, think the modelling is finished, if anyone sees anything feel free to post

End wagon with container:

Inner wagon with container:

Inner wagon (Empty):

End Wagon (Empty):

Course now I have to get it textured and working in Railworks (only done static "clutter" items before... :oops: )
Image Image
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

Featuring a 40ft High Cube Container...

Image Image
TElsmore
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TElsmore »

They are looking fantastic, really well done! :o

Cheers
Terrone.
gavo01
Well Established Forum Member

Post by gavo01 »

MallardFan,

I take it you selected the Unwrap(Smart Projections) option when unwrapping your container model and that is how you've ended up with that image?

If so, you may have to seperate each section to be able to texture it correctly. You can see in the right hand section of my attachment below how I have seperated all of the station light head UV's to enable me to texture it easier.
Station light head.JPG
Yes, it's a pain in the bottom but because of the way that Google Sketchup exports in Blender, it maybe your only option.

By the way, great looking models. :)
charlie99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by charlie99 »

Your models look fantastic, very clean and poly-efficient by the looks of it. :)
Regards
Charlie
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

Thanks for the advice gavo01. Do you separate the sections before importing into Blender or do it in blender?

Update, mostly done on the Pocket Wagon now, just have the bits at either end to do, look overly complicated and slightly confusing to model :-?

http://www.hentis-rail.co.uk/On_Locatio ... 260908.jpg

http://www.hentis-rail.co.uk/SotonEH121204.html

So this is how they look so far:

Bogie of the Pocket Wagon:

This one was more complicated because the plan one didn't match up to the images, so I just used the plan one instead.

Will start the FFA/FGA tomorrow hopefully, any more varieties people want?
Image Image
tomhas2
Very Active Forum Member

Post by tomhas2 »

Just wondering if these are any good to you there the wagons the Stobart tesco wagons use
http://www.modernwagons.co.uk/images/t1101.jpg
http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/1 ... 018953.jpg

I think the wagons are KFA Or KAA twins or something on those lines :D
PS awsome job on all the above wagons you have done the container side of railworks very proud :wink:

Tom 8)
Harrogate Loop and Northern Lines available @ https://www.ontracksimulation.com/
Heritage Tram Driver for Blackpool Heritage Tram Tours
https://www.twitch.tv/trainsimtv_tom
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

I will have a look and see what I can find - part of the problem I have found is that the diagrams at http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Prototype.html don't have codes like KFA, so I am never quite sure which is which. I am assuming that "Lowliner B" (BR1/136, book Diagrams of Freight Stock) is the lowliner asked for earlier...

thanks
Image Image
malkymackay
Very Active Forum Member

Post by malkymackay »

Ah, but it depends which book you are looking at. :wink: The Books marked with a 3 digit number are the more modern ones with the TOPS codes & Design codes listed. You will find the Freightliner flats in Book 320 Part 2.
You won't find the KFA, as at the dating of these books it didn't exist. Back in the early 80's there was a KFV, but it was quite a different beast, being a 24.5t 2 axle vac-braked wagon for carrying steel coil.
Dave4468

Post by Dave4468 »

These look great, some new rolling stock rather than locos is what is needed
If only all problems on the big railway could simply be TAB'd past...
gavo01

Post by gavo01 »

MallardFan wrote:Do you separate the sections before importing into Blender or do it in blender?
Its done after you've exported to Blender.

I haven't used Google Sketchup so I couldn't say whether this could be achieved before exporting to Blender though.
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

Thanks Everyone
malkymackay wrote:Ah, but it depends which book you are looking at. :wink: The Books marked with a 3 digit number are the more modern ones with the TOPS codes & Design codes listed. You will find the Freightliner flats in Book 320 Part 2.
You won't find the KFA, as at the dating of these books it didn't exist. Back in the early 80's there was a KFV, but it was quite a different beast, being a 24.5t 2 axle vac-braked wagon for carrying steel coil.
Ahh niw that is handy to know, have seen the TOPS codes now in the oter books, thanks very much

Well... They Say variety is good...

Image Image

Return to “[RW] Building Rolling Stock”