Class 73

Fire up your 3D modelling tool and start building some rolling stock, or find out what others are previewing here. If you have questions about how to make the blueprints work or what names mean what in models, here's the place to find out your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Class 73

Post by Irishrailguy »

I leave all my textures uncompressed as I don't see a framerate hit on my system with railworks, on my project I have around 4 2048x2048 textures uncompressed on my unit per carriage, and I don't think there's much of an issue. But for me the asset editor has serious issues with previewing my model with so many large, uncompressed textures, I get a 'failed to preview shape' error a lot of the time, but I've got very little of it lately. I suppose it's down to what your'e system can take, put the 73 on a route that's very detailed (L2B or WCML) and see if you can place many of them and run a free roam without SBHH's or lagging, what's your system like? If you have a relatively average or poor performance it would be somewhat of a benefit to other users if you release it as those with lower quality systems have a better chance of using it.

The vertex merge issue can be easily resolved with the Automerge utility found under the 'mesh' menu in 'Automerge Editing', which automatically merges any vertices which come within a set threshold, make that threshold something really small like .001m as to avoid unwanted merging of other vertices. The solutions to most of your Blender questions can be found by simply searching Google, there is a huge amount of documentation on the software.

Kev
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

Ahh OK thanks very much

Looks a lot better now I think

(bearing in mind only the side is done so far):

As far as I know its also the only 2048 texture, the rest are 1024 or smaller

Tried putting a lot of Class 73 into WCML (B2L gives me enough SBHHs in Editor mode). Not quite sure how many a lot would be, so tried 15...

Seem to run OK to me...
Image Image
Class 205 Thumper and Class 73 Electro-Diesel currently in the Engine Shed!
malkymackay
Very Active Forum Member

Post by malkymackay »

MallardFan wrote:Seem to run OK to me...
now go and try the same thing at Motherwell or Polmadie, as those locations seem to be a little more demanding than Kingmoor :wink:
Expanding the TS wagon fleet.
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Irishrailguy »

Ok, good to hear, I suppose it's not that much of a memory hit as it's let on to be. Keep playing around with that normal map and the texture settings, you'll eventually find something you like.

Kev
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

Ahh OK thanks, personally I am pretty happy with the sides now, do you (and anyone else) think it looks OK as well?
Image Image
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Irishrailguy »

MallardFan wrote:Ahh OK thanks, personally I am pretty happy with the sides now, do you (and anyone else) think it looks OK as well?
Absolutely, the next thing to do is get the hang of making details (rivets etc.) with normal maps. Weathering can also do a really good job on the realism, should you choose to add it.

Kev
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

Ahh Thanks very much

yes, the weathering will be for some of the other models, this one as said is a fresh one, so no real need for weathering
Image Image
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

OK, quick question on the real locomotive itself

If you look at these pictures:

http://www.uktrainpics.co.uk/images/73n1.jpg

http://www.freefoto.com/images/23/44/23 ... ce_web.jpg

http://www.awesome.clara.net/Railways/G ... anford.jpg

there are white lines above the number and circles below, but they are not always displayed, and not all of them at the same time. Does anyone know what they are? what they represent? I have made gaps up for them on the model, but trying to work out what they are to represent them best
Image Image
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

TElsmore wrote:This class 73 is looking fantastic! :o

The only thing that i can't help but notice is that the MU jumpers look a little on the small side, and the cables and brake pipes look a little on the thin side. Don't get me wrong , not a criticism, just an observation. The loco is looking great though!!

Cheers
Terrone
Hi, just working on some improved pipes - do these* look better

*The thicker two, the third one which is thinner hasn't been done yet
Image Image
New to the Forums

Post by 58002 »

MallardFan wrote:OK, quick question on the real locomotive itself

If you look at these pictures:

http://www.uktrainpics.co.uk/images/73n1.jpg

http://www.freefoto.com/images/23/44/23 ... ce_web.jpg

http://www.awesome.clara.net/Railways/G ... anford.jpg

there are white lines above the number and circles below, but they are not always displayed, and not all of them at the same time. Does anyone know what they are? what they represent? I have made gaps up for them on the model, but trying to work out what they are to represent them best
Would these not be the same as the white disc arrangement representing the locos headcode i.e 2 dots being the same as displaying 2 white discs.
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

Ahh could well be, thanks. In which case would there be times when only one disc would be highlighted?

Also... having some issues with rain, I followed this tutorial (although not for Blender) to give my windows rain:

http://www.christrains.com/ts2012_faq_weatherglass.html

So far I only tried on the cab side windows as these are separate from the main lot as I am hoping to make them go up and down. However the result I got isn't really rain... more weird mirror effect:

So this is my blender:

With

TrRain=TrainGlassWeatherEffects.fx

Any ideas whats happening?
Image Image
TElsmore
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TElsmore »

MallardFan wrote:
TElsmore wrote:This class 73 is looking fantastic! :o

The only thing that i can't help but notice is that the MU jumpers look a little on the small side, and the cables and brake pipes look a little on the thin side. Don't get me wrong , not a criticism, just an observation. The loco is looking great though!!

Cheers
Terrone
Hi, just working on some improved pipes - do these* look better

*The thicker two, the third one which is thinner hasn't been done yet
Hi. Yes, that is looking much better, good job! I'm really looking forward to this being released, you are doing a superb job.

Cheers
Terrone
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

Ahh Thanks very much :D
Image Image
MallardFan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MallardFan »

OK so model now has updated pipes AND updated horn, which looks a lot better I think*

*of course I would say that xD

Image Image
g0fthick
Very Active Forum Member

Post by g0fthick »

Irishrailguy wrote:I leave all my textures uncompressed as I don't see a framerate hit on my system with railworks, on my project I have around 4 2048x2048 textures uncompressed on my unit per carriage
:o :crazyeyes:
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Return to “[RW] Building Rolling Stock”