The Maunsell Era Add-on Pack

Fire up your 3D modelling tool and start building some rolling stock, or find out what others are previewing here. If you have questions about how to make the blueprints work or what names mean what in models, here's the place to find out your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

Kariban
Very Active Forum Member

Re: The Maunsell Era Add-on Pack

Post by Kariban »

black8 wrote:Just downloaded before it mysterously diappeared from the site :D . Beautiful addition to the collection. You can even make the wheels slip. The only steam engine in RW that does this as far as I know. Thanks so much 4472!
Jos 8)
Most of he-who-can't-be-named's stuff does that. Ten spinning wheels is pretty spectacular.

U-class looks good! I wouldn't want to try and repaint it though, lol. Do I keep looking for N-class material, or are you doing that one?
My posts are my opinion, and should be read as such.
4472FlyingScotsman
Getting the hang of things now

Post by 4472FlyingScotsman »

Kariban wrote:
U-class looks good! I wouldn't want to try and repaint it though, lol. Do I keep looking for N-class material, or are you doing that one?
I know that my unwrap's are a bit complicated!! :D :o
I'm planning to release the U, N, N1, and U1 classes in the near future, already have scale drawings just a case of sitting down and starting work.
I don't plan to start work on the other engines until sometime in late September, that is unless I take part in the Route Building Challenge! :wink:

Time to go on holiday.

Till next time
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth."

http://www.steamlococollection.co.uk

Released FEBRUARY 2018: LSWR 'T9'

U Class, V "Schools", N15 Scotchmen NOW AVAILABLE
crumplezone
Very Active Forum Member

Post by crumplezone »

Downloaded and installed 1.1 today, didn't actually see it when it first uploaded, first thing I knew from screenshot thread :o

Anyhow, for actual comments and critisism if you don't mind, the model is very well done and to a high standard, livery is acceptable aswell, though I will make comment that the tender shade seems to be darker than the main engine body, I believe its the metal finish which causes the colour not to come through as bold, I believe some of the reskinning folks know what causes and might be able to point to the right setting, its also a pain in the . to do black right on a locomotive so very well done either way :).

I did notice a very slight wobble to the drive wheels as it picks up the speed, the one nearest the cab seems to rock slightly on the rails as it builds up speed, it doesn't detract away from the driving experience however so its not to much of a issue, maybe something just overlooked.

I will however have to second the comment about it feeling somewhat overpowered, for example its very easily to start the carriage stock with the U-class at 10% of the regulator, any further will force it into rapid wheelslip, which is somewhat characteristic of southern built locomotives, but slightly over zealous, if you need any help with that I'm sure there is a few folks on this forum who done some of the steam locomotive adjustments who could help out if needed.

That is all I can really see from my couple of drive throughs with the locomotive, its very enjoyable to drive as is now an nice to see another southern steamer in Railworks.

If you wish to have the option of authentic sounds you could try approaching 92210, he maybe able to help you create a pretty decent soundset once Grand Central is all sorted and smoothed out, sounds could be taken from the southern Maunsell on the north yorkshire moors railway, I think there is a few on youtube which could be used and maybe some folks in the community have a few recordings, its up to you but Matt(92210) is normally quite happy to try and put together a authentic soundset to bring to life your creation to its full extent.

Hopefully not been to critical, more obserations I hope, anyway congratulations on getting it into Railworks and running, look forward to seeing more from you.

Crump
Kariban
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Kariban »

I would think the DT 4MT is probably a reasonable place to start, if you want to copy numbers for physics. Something like the Hall is a bit much I'd imagine. My major graphical complaint is the grey wheels ( which is what lead me to check the textures out ). Not a bad job else.

I guess I'll stick with poking around at a T9 & think about a 43xx instead of a Woolworth then.
My posts are my opinion, and should be read as such.
maddog989
Established Forum Member

Post by maddog989 »

Many thanks for this. looks excellent pulling 13 mk1s up to exeter central from st davids. Does perhaps seem a little overpowered lol.
Currently recreating Salisbury to Exeter 50s/60s.
almost all yard, trackwork, scenery and signalling complete salisbury - wilton. Trackwork 2013 standard to Gillingham, Older beyond. - Abandoned due to newer tools in subsequent TS versions.
jpetersjr2

Post by jpetersjr2 »

Do wish it had a basic 3d cab of it's own though, looks so good, but would be even better with it's own 3d cab.
stuart666
Very Active Forum Member

Post by stuart666 »

Im going to be critical of the wheels. Its such a superb model in other respects, I find the off centreing of the wheels very distracting at speed. it may not show up quite so much if the wheels were textured, but as they are not it tends to draw the eye towards them. I hope for the Southern ones you might consider adjusting the wobble and texturing the wheels. Southern Green just wont look right with bare wheels.

Secondly, I think the particle effects are in the wrong place. There are some around the cylinders that look to float with no logical source. The one on the whistle is annoying. It sits too low, and as its on all the time it shows in the cab which is a pet hate of mine. Also, you have the regulator set up for Double port, which results in a 'compound' like performance. Might work better to set that at single port. Also Lamps, or Southern style indicator panels would be welcome.

That said I wish to emphasise I find this an excellent bit of work. We dont have enough Moguls, and ive always have a soft spot for 'u boats' due to their latter connection to the MSWJR, which is a favoured line of mine. I cant comment on performance. Its a bit lively, but then the GWR moguls had a rep for a bit of speed as well so Ive yet to see anything wildly unbelieveable yet. I like the slippage. Cant comment on how well it works in the dry, but in the snow it feels good. I know how hard it is to get that right.

Whilst ive criticised the model in some respects, it looks like a U class, and I rather like the texturing you have done to it. Doesnt look over the top, and the buffer beam in particular looks very good. I like the motion effects, I cant see much wrong with this.

I hope you dont think IM being too critical, because its a lovely model and frankly one that will remain on my railworks. But if you could make these small adjustments, I think for a southern livery it would be even better.

Well done. Look forward to seeing future efforts from you.
longbow
Very Active Forum Member

Post by longbow »

Thanks and well done 4472; a very good effort.
pspvoyager220
Well Established Forum Member

Post by pspvoyager220 »

Well done on your first model 4472.

One thing I will mention without repeating other mentioned issues is the numberplate and cabside numbers, the plate on the smokebox is a tad small. As for the font, I am pretty sure you have got it right (Gill Sans) but the numerals seem a bit spaced out. The incorrect numberplates seem to happen a lot, for some reason particularly on GWR locos and I don't know why. e.g. the pannier/Hall where the whole plate is too small, the 56xx where the numbers are too bold or the Prairie where they are also too spaced out.

Well done though, a nicely done model.
jem961
Been on the forums for a while

Post by jem961 »

absolutely fab model 4472. one or two things (as my p.e teacher would say) a basic cab model would be fab and also, the right hand side valve gear animation seems to be a little bit jerky. and it does seem a little over powered, but other than that, absolutely fab.

schools class next ( PLEASSEEEEE (REPTON NUDGE NUDGE :wink: :wink: ))
Cheers
Jem Cutter
NYMR Grosmont MPD Cleaner and Footplate Staff
Qualified Scuba Diver and Assistant with Durham City Scuba
Official Beta tester for Digital Traction
4472FlyingScotsman

Post by 4472FlyingScotsman »

Many Many thanks to all those who have downloaded the U class so far, and have offered support and advice, sincere apologizes for not posting anything since September.
jpetersjr2 wrote:Do wish it had a basic 3d cab of it's own though, looks so good, but would be even better with it's own 3d cab.
The idea behind the release was to see what people thought of my modelling.
I started building a cab for the model, but decided a week into the process there seemed little point in building a high-quality cab in the model was not of the same standard.
SO I took the possibly sucidal option of RESTARTING the U class from SCRATCH.
As I have improved the quality to hopefully Payware standard, I intend the U class V2 to be my first payware addon.
However that won't happen if the model isn't good enough so here are some in game shots of the U class.

Click the image to zoom in

I'm aware that in this one the lining is glowing that will be rectified.

This one doesn't have the cab or lining because of the different liverys and chimneys that the U class engines carried, so instead of having to re-export the engine with the different chimney and livery, i just alter the child object that is used.
Dynamic numbering hasn't yet been applied, and I'm dreading doing the LUA scripts, sounds and creating my own smoke effects.
And here's one screenshot of the cab.

The cabs have become a bit of a nightmare as I'm aware of the main differences between the K class 2-6-4T rebuilds and the Kit-Built locomotives. But it turns out that between just 31806 and 1638 there are differences in lubricator design, brake design, 31806 doesn't have a trigger brake, while 1638 does.
The cab shown is the one that 31806 has.
There is one glaring thing that is missing in the cab. The injector controls, not the ones on the backhead but the ones that feed the water from the tender into the boiler, I know where they go, I just don't known what they look like. So if anyone has any pictures of the injector controls for 31806 I would be most grateful for any assistance.
Hope this updates the situation.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth."

http://www.steamlococollection.co.uk

Released FEBRUARY 2018: LSWR 'T9'

U Class, V "Schools", N15 Scotchmen NOW AVAILABLE
pspvoyager220
Well Established Forum Member

Post by pspvoyager220 »

Looking nice! If you want sounds at all I am more than happy to record some :)
plewsy2105
Established Forum Member

Post by plewsy2105 »

hi ya

the u class is looking good if you want i can get some pics of 31806's footplate?

plewsy2105
plewsy 2105
GWR (Gods Wonderful Railway)
LMSNCC (London Midland Scottish Northern County's Committee)
CDRJC (County Donegal Railway Joint Committee)
jem961

Post by jem961 »

looking nice! cant wait for it mate! do you have plans for an S15?
Cheers
Jem Cutter
NYMR Grosmont MPD Cleaner and Footplate Staff
Qualified Scuba Diver and Assistant with Durham City Scuba
Official Beta tester for Digital Traction
Kiwisteam

Post by Kiwisteam »

Child objects for chimneys? Would this mean that we can change them over? If so, why isn't this applied to other models, could make things very interesting..

Return to “[RW] Building Rolling Stock”