The Maunsell Era Add-on Pack

Fire up your 3D modelling tool and start building some rolling stock, or find out what others are previewing here. If you have questions about how to make the blueprints work or what names mean what in models, here's the place to find out your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

jem961
Been on the forums for a while

Re: The Maunsell Era Add-on Pack

Post by jem961 »

Any news on this? How is it going 4472?
Cheers
Jem Cutter
NYMR Grosmont MPD Cleaner and Footplate Staff
Qualified Scuba Diver and Assistant with Durham City Scuba
Official Beta tester for Digital Traction
4472FlyingScotsman
Getting the hang of things now

Post by 4472FlyingScotsman »

Hi all.
jem961 wrote:Any news on this? How is it going 4472?
Answer: Not Well, I'm slowly loosing all of my hair with this. :cry: :x
For some reason I just can't seem to get it into the game.
First, Is there a way of exporting a model from blender and then into canvas while retaining the UV-unwrap. The only way I've found of doing this is exporting to a .OBJ file which allows the textures to be viewed in a scenery blueprint.
Second, I made a note of how everything is organized and named in the RS Developer files and have duplicated this into my files, ie.. coupling rods called "coupling_rod_l" etc...
but when i've exported from 3DC 7, no IGS file appears, it takes ages and then there's no file, could someone please explain that!! I can only assume I've not selected it correctly so what is the procedure for exporting to IGS.
On another computer I have managed to get an IGS file to export (using 3DC8), but when that is put into an engine blueprint i get a "failed to create geometry" "Build Failed" message. I've already exported all of the parts of the locomotive seperatly, and put them into a scenery blueprint and they appear fine in the asset editor. WHY??
Also, sorry If I'm dragging on, how on earth do you 1. do the shadows, I've read the 'Getting models from 3D Canvas into Rail Simulator document, but didn't quite understand it, and 2. numbering, any help here would be greatly appreciated.
I did warn you I was a man of LITTLE BRAIN!??
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth."

http://www.steamlococollection.co.uk

Released FEBRUARY 2018: LSWR 'T9'

U Class, V "Schools", N15 Scotchmen NOW AVAILABLE
rivimey
Everyone needs a hug!

Post by rivimey »

Hi 4472

I'm sorry you're having such problems. With my "outside the box" hat on it does occur to me to wonder why you are trying to export into 3DC. I thought - perhaps incorrectly - that recent releases of Blender had the ability to directly generate files that RW could consume.

Ruth
Helping to build Cambridge Branch Lines in 1950 @ http://cambslines.ivimey.org
= - Personal : http://www.ivimey.org - = - Web Design : http://www.ivimey.com - =
hertsbob
Very Active Forum Member

Post by hertsbob »

Hi

I'm equally sorry to learn that you're having issues. There shouldn't be any reason why you can't export the model direct from Blender into RW, and I'd agree that transposing it into 3DC and then back out again is an unnecessary additional step.

Maybe it might be worth outlining the problems you're having in the Blender modelling threads?

Good luck.

Bob
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
Commander Arnold Judas Rimmer

Things have finally happened!
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.co.uk/
Kariban
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Kariban »

As Bob said, there shouldn't be any reason you can't export an IGS straight from Blender, complete with unwrapping. Henning's last Bigex plugin added some new functionality as well ( animations? I can't remember ) and although I only do simple things, it's never failed yet.
My posts are my opinion, and should be read as such.
4472FlyingScotsman

Hi everyone, I'm still here.
King Arthur is on hold, the model was just causing absolute headaches, not sure why, but my modelling has improved in the meantime, I've now working on the U class as it's just a bit of an easier model.
hertsbob wrote:Hi

I'm equally sorry to learn that you're having issues. There shouldn't be any reason why you can't export the model direct from Blender into RW, and I'd agree that transposing it into 3DC and then back out again is an unnecessary additional step.

Maybe it might be worth outlining the problems you're having in the Blender modelling threads?

Good luck.

Bob
The reason I'm using 3D Canvas/Crafter is becuase as far as I'm aware you can sell models exported from Canvas/Crafter, correct me if I'm wrong.
My main problem at the moment, which is preventing me from finishing the locomotive is the heiararchy. What is the correct way of organising it. Everything I can get to export execpt, my main details. There seems to be some sort of polygon limit as whenever one of my objects goes over 12000 polygons it generates the "FAILED TO CREATE GEOMETRY SHAPE" error. Any help would help get this engine of the drawing board and on the rails where it belongs.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth."

Trainguy76
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Trainguy76 »

4472FlyingScotsman wrote: The reason I'm using 3D Canvas/Crafter is becuase as far as I'm aware you can sell models exported from Canvas/Crafter, correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm pretty sure that with Blender, you just need to make a deal with Henning of some sort, whether that's something in the readme or something money-wise is beyond me.
The Most Astounding Fact

... .-.-.- - .-.-.- .- .-.-.- -.-- .-.-.-
malkymackay
Very Active Forum Member

Post by malkymackay »

The 56xx made by Pete Gillam & recently published by RSC was made in Blender. Henning & his Exporter sre credited in the Acknowledgements at the end of the manual.
Expanding the TS wagon fleet.
jem961
Been on the forums for a while

Post by jem961 »

any update news?
Cheers
Jem Cutter
NYMR Grosmont MPD Cleaner and Footplate Staff
Qualified Scuba Diver and Assistant with Durham City Scuba
Official Beta tester for Digital Traction
darkdj
Very Active Forum Member

Post by darkdj »

The U Class Mogul has been uploaded, yo!

Click to view more informationSR Maunsell U class 2-6-0 [7193472 bytes] - SR_U_Class V1_1.zip
File ID: 27182 Date: 27 Aug 2011 - 2177 Downloads

It looks rather spiffing, am about to have a go right now!

Dark.

[Later edit] For some reason, it doesnt actually like coupling up to anything. I think its mainly with the tender. But once coupled, it works at the tender, until you uncouple...

Still, a very good model. A tad overpowered, but great fun.

Dark.
Slammer423
Established Forum Member

Post by Slammer423 »

BEAUTY! will be worth waiting in the queue for this :D my Favorite loco on the Mid Hants Railway :D
Kind Regards,
Slammer423 / Dave
prairie4566
Very Active Forum Member

Post by prairie4566 »

Mmm. Might have a bash at the KESR despite only knowing of Tenterden Bank at 1in50.

Still, that'll show whether it's overpowered or not.
4472FlyingScotsman

Howdy Do everyone.
Apologies for the tender bug, it's typical the one thing I forgot to test. :(
I've uploaded a tender fix as well as completely reuploading the full U class file.
For those who've already downloaded the U class, it's up to you whether you want to install the patch, when it's approved, or completely uninstall the U and then install V1.1.
There are no name changes so there should be no issues with scenarios.
Despite this problem I hope everyone is enjoying the U class.
Nearly a year after starting on the King Arthur, to have finally uploaded an engine, albiet the a different class, is a wondeful feeling. :P :lol:
For those who are interested, a lot of my problems come down to the human element, ME!!
For example, for a week I couldn't get the front bogie wheel to rotate, then I realised that i had missed out an O in the blueprint. So instead of bo01, I'd put bo1. :roll: :-?
I'm not here for the next 2 weeks, so don't expect any fixes, unless my computer comes to life!! :o
Again my deepest apologises for what is a silly error on my part. :roll:

black8
Very Active Forum Member
Location: Northern Germany. (formerly The Hague, Netherlands)

Post by black8 »

Just downloaded before it mysterously diappeared from the site :D . Beautiful addition to the collection. You can even make the wheels slip. The only steam engine in RW that does this as far as I know. Thanks so much 4472!
Jos 8)
'Why is it that the railway station is so far away from the village?'
The local pauses for a while, then replies:
'They thought it would be a good idea to build it next to the railway line.....'

(Dent Station on the Settle & Carlisle)
prairie4566
Very Active Forum Member

Post by prairie4566 »

Same here, I've yet to try it to find out if a patch makes a difference.

The only thing I noticed from the shot on UKTS is the loco and tender are different shades, perhaps this will be sorted unless it's intended.

Return to “[RW] Building Rolling Stock”