The Maunsell Era Add-on Pack

Fire up your 3D modelling tool and start building some rolling stock, or find out what others are previewing here. If you have questions about how to make the blueprints work or what names mean what in models, here's the place to find out your answers.

Moderator: Moderators

Very Active Forum Member

Re: The Maunsell Era Add-on Pack

Post by 92212 »

Excellent work there!!

If Adam records the sounds, I'll set them up for this if you like?

Regards

Matt
4472FlyingScotsman
Getting the hang of things now

Post by 4472FlyingScotsman »

Thanks to everyone for the offers, but already have recorded sounds.
I now have a new problem.
Engine is previewing fine in Asset Editor, absolutely no errors.
Add engine to a free-roam scenario and add driver icon, no errors.
Enter game, engine displaying fine no errors.
Click on engine to drive, Something Bad Happened.
Have sent the .dmp file to Rail Simulator, only to be informed that there is no longer a facility to examine .dmp files.
The error first appeared when I tried to add my finished cab to the engine.
Since then I have created an entirely new file structure, with no references to the cab, yet still have the same error.
If anyone has experienced this error at all any help would be greatly appreciated.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth."

http://www.steamlococollection.co.uk

Released FEBRUARY 2018: LSWR 'T9'

U Class, V "Schools", N15 Scotchmen NOW AVAILABLE
MGD11
Been on the forums for a while

Post by MGD11 »

Hmm. Odd.

Have you added it with a tender? I know the game dislikes a drivable engine without a tender when you try to drive it from personal experience (hence, doing it about 4 hours ago). :roll:

As the loco was working fine without the custom cab, but now isn't, and you're removed all referances, I'd suggest doing the usual of clearing the blueprints before restarting the game and going in that way. It also might be you've left an extra file it doesn't like in there.
4472FlyingScotsman

Believe it or not the engine is getting closer to being finished. :lol: He says!
The cab problem, I think occured because I was linking the cab file reference to a scenery blueprint I had created instead of the .igs file itself.
Anyway after a complete rebuild of all the blueprints I have succeded in getting my cab into the game. Animating the controls was no big issue, although none of the controls are usable by the mouse??
However there are 4 major issues which I cannot fathom.

Sounds - I've been able to get all of the engine sounds to work, except of the chuffs. I've even gone so far as to used the same number figures, except for the driving wheel diameter and the number of cylinders, from other engine chuff blueprints, and yet I am getting absoultely no chuffs at all.

Windows - I can get the alpha to work so that they are seethrough, but on the horizon line and the sky there is a strange tint.

Dynamic Numbering - I'm trying to get this to work with shed codes, very much like Karma99's 56xx. But instead of the numbers I'm getting the placeholder textures.

Glintiness - Yes I made that up. With a number of engines, an example being the 56xx, from certain angles you can see the sun glinting of the metal. I've been able to get this working for the engine using 3D Canvas 7. But following a recent computer change, I realized that I don't have a copy of the installer. So I tried to replicate the results in 3D Crafter 9.1 and 9.2 but with no success.
In the 3D Canvas 7 I dragged the object outside the Main hierarchy, and it instanlty went shiny, but this doesn't happen in 3D Crafter, is there some step of secret command I have missed.

I know this makes me sound pathetic, but I've tried thinking "outside the box" and nothing is coming to me.
I tried doing research to see if anyone else has had the same problems as me, but I can't find anything.

Can anyone help. PLEASEE!! :(
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth."

Very Active Forum Member

Post by 92212 »

4472FlyingScotsman wrote:
Sounds - I've been able to get all of the engine sounds to work, except of the chuffs. I've even gone so far as to used the same number figures, except for the driving wheel diameter and the number of cylinders, from other engine chuff blueprints, and yet I am getting absoultely no chuffs at all...........................................................
Can anyone help. PLEASEE!! :(
Are you using cue points in your chuff sounds? Use an editing software that supports cue points.

Small tip - convert one of the default black 5 chuff sounds to .wav to see how they need to be done.

I look forward to the new version of the U!

All the best.

Matt
MGD11

Post by MGD11 »

Regarding your smoke stack issue, have you labelled it correctly? There was a forum post about this.

For the glass issue, is this using the default glass texture? There can be issues if it's not quite right.

Regarding dynamic numbering, can't you simply use the same process for the original U class?
4472FlyingScotsman

92212 wrote: Are you using cue points in your chuff sounds? Use an editing software that supports cue points.
Matt
That's a relief, I'm not going barmy, as this was all I could imagine was causing the problem.
I'm currently using Wavosaur, the sound editor I was using shows the loops, but can't create them.
MGD11 wrote:Regarding your smoke stack issue, have you labelled it correctly? There was a forum post about this.
Interestingly the smoke stack is displaying fine and when the locomotive starts moving, the smoke stack chuffs as if there is an audio file, but there is no sound thatr I can hear.
MGD11 wrote:For the glass issue, is this using the default glass texture? There can be issues if it's not quite right.
This is the issue I'm having with the glass.

Click the image to zoom in

My Settings are:
Diffuse 60
Ambient 20
Specular 0
TrainGlass.fx
RailSimX r0arg0=64;r0arg1=0;r0arg2=0,4
MGD11 wrote:Regarding dynamic numbering, can't you simply use the same process for the original U class?
I've read that the TrainDecal.fx should be used instead of TrainBasicObjectDiffuse.fx shader.
As I've already said I'm trying to get dynamic shed codes, and have, as far as I'm aware, set it up right.
BUT this is what I get in game.

The numbering is working okay as I can alter the number in the little box, but there is no change in the placeholders.

Finally I need a bit of feedback.

Not sure if the smoke is right, any opinions?

I appreciate all the help I am receiving.
Regards

conireland

Post by conireland »

The model looks lovely. The only comment that I'd have about the smoke is that it's perhaps a tad dense.
4472FlyingScotsman

Ok, engine is almost there. Screenshots coming soon.
Sounds are sorted.
Dynamic Numbering now displaying correctly.
Windows, look correct.
However one thing that I cannot fathom, is the fire animation.
I've looked at the tutorial for 3DS Max, but can't translate that to 3D Crafter.
A number of searchs revealed nothing.
So, has anyone succeded in getting a fire animation to work in 3D Crafter, and if so HOW??!?
Thanks in advance

rivimey
Everyone needs a hug!

Post by rivimey »

Sorry for coming back to this so late. The cyl . steam looks great... having seen a B5 at Grosmont do exactly that, it makes the efforts seen elsewhere rather wimpy!

However, to my eye the contrast between the black of the loco and the white of the lining is too great. What I've seen is more cream than white, and the black isn't quite so dense when viewed in real life. It might also help with antialising effects if you blur the white edge slightly into the black.

HTH
Ruth
Helping to build Cambridge Branch Lines in 1950 @ http://cambslines.ivimey.org
= - Personal : http://www.ivimey.org - = - Web Design : http://www.ivimey.com - =
sp762
Night Watchman

Post by sp762 »

Firstoff,wow. Looking really good.

I would echo the comments above about black and white being too contrasting. When painting airplanes and such, I use RGB 237, 237, 237 for black, for example because it is less visually dense. Using 255,255,255 means you lose a lot of the visual detail in the blackness that is created.

FWIW

Mike

Don't techno for an answer!
Proud to be a member of the Forums Moderation Team since 2002
kevmt
Very Active Forum Member

Post by kevmt »

4472FlyingScotsman wrote: So, has anyone succeded in getting a fire animation to work in 3D Crafter, and if so HOW??!?
Thanks in advance
From what I remember, it was not possible to do that sort of animation in 3D Crafter.

Kevin
ChrisBarnes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by ChrisBarnes »

rivimey wrote: What I've seen is more cream than white...
Indeed, there is no white in the lining of BR black livery at all. The thick band is a light grey, and on the edge of the grey band facing the red line is a straw - coloured line. Looking closely at the screenshots, 4472 has done this correctly, so I would personally be tempted to darken the lining slightly. The model looks excellent, well done. :)

Chris
Just Trains BR 4, 5, 6, 7 and LNER K4 & V2 script and simulation author
Kiwisteam

Post by Kiwisteam »

Has anyone noticed that the Mausnell U has its own picture in TS2013? It's not like the others where there's just a silouette. Any reason for that?
kingsgate
Established Forum Member

Post by kingsgate »

When we did the 4MT in black, we did a bit of research first. In the Railway Museum, Kidderminster, is a lovely lined LNWR panel, with nameplates on...but in certain lights, the panel is most definitely purple. Looking at the naming 'Blackberry Black', we decided to make our 4MT a very dark shade of purple...and it seems to work. Doesn't look grey or brown, isn't too dark or dense. Just looks right...in my opinion, and I am, obviously, biased. But I thought I'd throw my musings out there, see what the response was.

Tom
Last of the Regent Princes - First of the Chimaeras.

Return to “[RW] Building Rolling Stock”