Exporter Problems

A fantastic, very powerful and free 3D modelling tool for which you can now get a Rail Simulator export! Includes many features the pro's use that are not found in 3D Canvas like texture baking; but is a lot more tricky to use than 3D Canvas.

Moderator: Moderators

PWHolmes
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Exporter Problems

Post by PWHolmes »

Got that Andis, thanks.

Still can't find any trace of this mysterious Slot '0' which seems to be the root cause of my current problem.

When I scroll down the "Slot window" (my term - hovering the cursor over it dont bring up a name) in the top bar of the Shader Nodes Window between "Use Nodes" and "Browse material to be linked" for all of my components, the list for all items starts at "Slot 1", in spite of the manual saying that these will be compiled by the programme at Slot 0.

You say earlier that "The reason you see slot 1 and not slot 0 is that you will have put the shader name in slot 0. That is an option." Can you explain? What should I do to get over this issue?

Paul
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

Can you explain?
I tried to avoid that. :lol:

In the first exporter, Bigex, 15 years ago, you specified the shader by naming the first texture like the shader, e.g., Tex, and only in the second texture you put the real image.

Juju did away with this. Now you specify only the image that is your texture there and the shader name is given under IGS properties. He did some extra interface hacking to easy the lives of the new comers. At the same time, the maintained compatibility with the old ways or else you get problems when you try to re-export an old Blender file from long ago.

This is where my assumtion comes that you have your image in the first entry in the list while TheMookster might have it in the second. Now Blender seems to call the first slot number 1 to be user friendly and the exporter calls it slot 0 because computers generally count stuff starting at zero.

To get ahead with your particular problem, you could show a screenshot of the famous textures tab or/and the contents of the file with the .log extensions. (If your model is in X.blend, then the log file is in X.log). Or copy the error message in a post. Or do all three. 8)
PWHolmes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by PWHolmes »

Andis,

I hope the following screenshots work! Its been a long time since I did this.

The Blender log file reads:

BRIAGE:: 'PROPERTY': MainObject to find = 1_1000_Post2
BRIAGE:: 'PROPERTY': MainObject found = 1_1000_Post2
BRIAGE:: 'ERROR': Missing image file in material 'Material', in texture slot '0'
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\RailWorks\Source\PWH\Blender World\2.83\scripts\addons\BRIAGE\Bl_data.py", line 108, in invoke
return wm.invoke_popup(self, width=510, height=210)
TypeError: WindowManager.invoke_popup(): takes at most 2 arguments, got 3

location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\RailWorks\Source\PWH\Blender World\2.83\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:199
TheMookster
New to the Forums

Post by TheMookster »

PWHolmes

error: Missing image file in material 'material 001' in texture slot Solved!!!

Just discovered the error was being caused by selecting the wrong shader in 'Material Properties' 'IGS Options' tab

Here's a link to a quick 4 min video showing what I did, hope it helps https://youtu.be/nR91eXKnrhs

thanks for everyone's suggestions and help

Marcus (TheMookster)
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

Oh, the red&white checkerboard is red&black now ...
I must have been living in a cave for some time. Or is that theme change specific to just 2.80 ?

Anyway, your texture settings look fine but .bmp will not be understood by the blueprint editor. He will demand .tga, I guess.

When you click on the tab icon just above the checkerboard, that sort of checkered disk or ball shape - maybe you want to show or explore that next.
Under IGS options, you need to set the shader name.
And the famous slot list should show up, that must be related to this slot 0.

You situation may be different from that of Marcus but the hint is important that without the right shader name, there is not much use looking farther.
PWHolmes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by PWHolmes »

Ill sort out the texture file once I can get this to run (if I ever do!), one thing at a time!

I also get a huge error report that flashes up when I try to export, over and above the Log file. I have taken screen shots attached:

PWHolmes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by PWHolmes »

Can't find any trace of a "slot list" under thwe IGS options - where should that be

Material Properties Tab fully expanded:

AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

right at the border between screenshot 2 and 3, I see - under heading IGS Options - Textures and Open and below, there is a void where your texture reference should be. So after clicking open and selecting your file, you should see it there quite like you see it under Materials.

This seems to be new. But it has always been a bit confusing that there are two separate references to the image, one for the Benefit of Blender and one for the benefit of the exporter. Such things are part of the game, unfortunately.
PWHolmes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by PWHolmes »

Andis,

I think I am almost there.

I have added the texture file where you indicated and I now have a file generated called ".blend.igs" - this dont seem quite right as it doesnt seem to have a name.

The Log file reads:

BRIAGE:: 'PROPERTY': MainObject to find = 1_1000_Post1
BRIAGE:: 'PROPERTY': MainObject found = 1_1000_Post1
BRIAGE:: 'INFO': The scene is clean and ready for export
BRIAGE:: 'INFO': CenterMainObject: exported model moved by X=0.000000 Y=0.000000 Z=0.000000 (Blender axis)

BRIAGE:: 'INFO': Generating groups...

------------------ Groups list -----------------
+--- 5 groups ---
|
+--> 1_1000_Post1 (kw: None)
| type: MSH
| [ included objects: ]
| [ 1_1000_Post1 ]

and a ton of other assorted gumph.

I also get the following error message:

Assuming I am almost there, I should be thinking now of how to format the texture file. Did you say a TGA file would do? I can create these with PSP7.

Paul
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

I'm afraid I can't make sense of the error message.
Does the file contain any unusual characters. I would name it something very simple like Post1.blend. No spaces in filenames, just to be on the safe side. Better no characters other that letters and digits, simply put.

You need TGA and then convert that to ACE. A forum search will turn find the name of the required tool, I totally forgot it. something like RwTGAtoACE or so. I had it from the dawn of RailSimulator, but cannot look it up now.

If you do not come across an idea what to fix in the model, you could rename .blend.igs to Post1.igs and feed that to the Blueprint Editor. I find .blend.igs a bit confusing. But it should not stop the show.
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markpullinger »

RWace tool. UKTS file 21636. In the library. :)

Return to “Blender”