Current Status of System

Do you have anything you'd like to bring to the Site Admins attention? Suggestions? Problems etc? Please note: Beginners should go to the 'help for beginners' forum below!

Moderator: Moderators

NeutronIC
Atomic Systems Team
Atomic Systems Team

Current Status of System

Post by NeutronIC »

Hi everyone

As you can see, the forums are now back online now using the very latest in PHPBB software, I actually have no idea what new toys you'll find to play with, let me know if you find anything particularly fun (or disturbing, I guess :) ).

It's also online with SSL now - https://forums.uktrainsim.com and fully secured. If you find yourself on the http version of the site simply change the URL over to get to the secure one.

Still not working:
Themes - I believe we had a couple of extra themes installed before, these are an absolute pain to manage because of mods but I don't mind getting one or two in just to keep things smooth - let me know what we're keen to see and i'll take a look.

Album - is not back yet, but should be at some point soon - the data's there, I just need to get the server configured and then spend a few days going through all of its code to upgrade it to support PHP7. For the time being therefore, links to album won't work and you won't be able to use it to store images. But, rumours of its demise are premature, it will return like a phoenix from the ashes! (or something).

Support - the old eSupport system we had was the source of all the massive spam problems on the old server so I have NOT re-installed it on the new one. I'm going with a hosted version of the support system (basically, so it's someone elses problem :) ) and will try to get this working soon. In the mean time, use the forums for support and DM's with moderators to get assistance. If you get totally stuck and can't log in please do DM me on Discord (MattPeddlesden#2907 - you'll need to join my server at https://discord.gg/mattplaystv) as that's the best place ot get in touch if you can't log into the forums, many of the mods, plus myself and Dad are both on there.

Anyway - if anything is not working for you please drop a note here or the Discord and let me know.

Thanks!
Matt and Pete
Dougie_1974
Established Forum Member

Re: Current Status of System

Post by Dougie_1974 »

Well done guys, must have been a hard slog, many hours spent burning the midnight oil.
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

Cheers again for all the effort.

As far themes go, what I see now looks a lot like what I saw all the time, if you discount updated buttons and such. Going by the number of people who bemoaned its not working you got the most important one up and running.

I have my doubt in the value of some of the others (that are gone now). I use one with black background and yellow or orange letters. That was not the worst but what really disturbed were all the GUI elements that were not adapted to that theme and thus in bright background and black letters. In other words, I guess getting rid of antique stuff may well translate to little loss at all.

Speaking of antique stuff, happy 19th birthday, forum!

P.S.: When I submitted this, I got "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." When I resubmitted, it worked. So the reason will be me taking longer for typing than expected by the software. Still the message is a bit on the vague side.

P.P.S: I got it again, so rather not depending on the timing.
Edit: I get it all the time. Just click submit a second time and done.
Last edited by AndiS on Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

New finds:

The "active topics" etc links are now under "quick links" top left--just a note to others, not really a complaint.

But "active topics" in that menu shows nothing and I guess that is not what is expected because we seem to be quite active from the moment it came back. The other items on the list seem to work.

On the Board Index page, in the list of subforums, e.g., all those under Train Simulator, you could do with a non-breakable space between the icon that shows unread posts by a red sheet of paper and their absence by a blue one, and the subforum name. Not a biggie and maybe it was like that before. Just thought it would be more legible.
Very Active Forum Member

Post by 749006 »

New finds

Found the "Your posts" in Quick Links but it did not work until I went to the link and "Open in new window"
Regarding the forum appearance I always used the Prosilver as that was easy to read

Thanks for all your efforts in returning somewhere sensible to look and find information about the game

Peter
http://peter749.piwigo.com/
My Railway Pictures
Very Active Forum Member

Post by 45002 »

Good to see the forums back, I missed them :roll:

Thanks for All the hard work put in.

MARTIN :D
Nora Batty,Hattie Jacques,my idea of Heaven

[album 122813 94001TP.jpg thumblink]
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

749006 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:20 pm Found the "Your posts" in Quick Links but it did not work until I went to the link and "Open in new window"
I just tried it and it worked for me (on Firefox/Linux).

It took long as it always did. Maybe it was a second faster which could point to a faster server if it was not just my variance in patience.
It is quite obvious that the posts in the database are not indexed on authors, or if they are, the index is ducked away somewhere. But it may well be a little used functionality. I use it from time to time to double-check for follow ups on discussions what I forgot, in particular after some absence from the forums. So it is useful but I can understand if it does not count with the important stuff.
brace2011
Been on the forums for a while

Post by brace2011 »

Welcome back. Thanks for all your efforts to get this back up an running.

Just a comment though - I tried to register as a Premium Member this morning and there seems to be a couple of residual problems here.

The 'click here' on page members.uktrainsim.com/index2.php?form_reader=subscription doesn't function.

The page new.atomic-systems.com/asp/subscribe.aspx doesn't link through to Worldpay.

Hope this helps.

Martin
MisterWho
Established Forum Member

Post by MisterWho »

I appreciate the effort and particularly the increased security of the new system, but I think that changing the naming system for the individual web pages is a mistake. I keep a copy of any page that looks as if it has useful information for future reference, and the change makes it very difficult to keep all the pages for one topic together in my filing system.

PLEASE can we change the naming system back to the old version. An example is the current page with a name of
"TS2015 Raildriver Interface - Page 93 - Atomic Systems_php.mht"

which used to be
"Atomic Systems • View topic - TS2015 Raildriver Interface 93-93.mht"

although the 93-93 is my own way of indicating the page number within the topic.

Incidentally, the "preview" button also requires two button pushes before it works.
harleyalan
New to the Forums

Post by harleyalan »

brace2011 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 am Welcome back. Thanks for all your efforts to get this back up an running.

Just a comment though - I tried to register as a Premium Member this morning and there seems to be a couple of residual problems here.

The 'click here' on page members.uktrainsim.com/index2.php?form_reader=subscription doesn't function.

The page new.atomic-systems.com/asp/subscribe.aspx doesn't link through to Worldpay.

Hope this helps.

Martin
Hello everyone, i'm new on here so be gentle to a 67 year old please, thank you :D I am having the same problem as brace2011 trying to become a Premium Member but having difficulties connecting as per brace2011, just letting you know as i would like to become a member. Thanks :D
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Post by Easilyconfused »

harleyalan wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:36 am
brace2011 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 am Welcome back. Thanks for all your efforts to get this back up an running.

Hope this helps.

Martin
Hello everyone, i'm new on here so be gentle to a 67 year old please, thank you :D I am having the same problem as brace2011 trying to become a Premium Member but having difficulties connecting as per brace2011, just letting you know as i would like to become a member. Thanks :D
I'll flag this for the site owner but we are both at our day jobs right now.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
NeutronIC
Atomic Systems Team
Atomic Systems Team

Post by NeutronIC »

@MisterWho -
but I think that changing the naming system for the individual web pages is a mistake.
I think this is one of the main changes that's come with the upgraded forum system, certainly not something i've consciously changed. If I get some time i'll take a look and see if I can figure out how to change it back in the code.

Matt.
MisterWho
Established Forum Member

Post by MisterWho »

Thanks Matt - I just do not understand the logic of putting the phrase "- Page 4 -" in the middle of a page name as so many website base systems do, especially when the first page does not include the phrase.
NeutronIC
Atomic Systems Team
Atomic Systems Team

Post by NeutronIC »

I made some tweaks to the title.
maxtedrw
Well Established Forum Member

Post by maxtedrw »

Just to support the vote of thanks - its all working for me so far ( including login ) and I sense what a mare's nest of an issue it has been so a big thank you.

Return to “Site Admin Queries”