Permissions for PMs

Do you have anything you'd like to bring to the Site Admins attention? Suggestions? Problems etc? Please note: Beginners should go to the 'help for beginners' forum below!

Moderator: Moderators

Cyclone
New to the Forums

Permissions for PMs

Post by Cyclone »

It's kind of hard for us to contact people via PM, as some content creators request as their only method of contact, if we do not have permission to send PMs. When exactly is this allowed?
ReefGB
Getting the hang of things now

Re: Permissions for PMs

Post by ReefGB »

Usually around the 22 post count but it's down to Moderator discretion, it's directly linked to your reduced "new member" permissions (same as your posts requiring approval)
dorlan
Totally Narrow Minded

Post by dorlan »

As a new user, your initial posts need to be approved by a moderator before they are made visible on the forum. This is a precautionary measure so that we are able to help you get the most out of your forum membership. The probationary period will end once the Moderators are happy you do not need any guidance, and after this time, your posts will be viewable immediately.
The probationary period usually lasts until between 10 to 20 posts have been made. Until then you will be unable to use the PM system.
Ian J
Member of the UKTS Forum Moderation Team.
Cyclone
New to the Forums

Post by Cyclone »

Can other forum use count towards this in terms of recognizing someone not in need of guidance? I have already noticed some posts even on these forums that don't seem to have counted towards my posts tally, which is a little confusing. And being someone who just hit the thousand post mark at DTG, I think it and past forum and Twitch chat moderation work show I'm good to let loose, if you will. This status makes things difficult as far as contacting certain people regarding their content, so it's a huge hit to my experience, if you will, especially requiring that many posts to be approved first before I can send any PMs.

While I would not ask for him to vouch for me, I for instance know 749006 over there having seen him over there since the day I joined there. Also had conversations with Danny in the past.
Last edited by Cyclone on Mon May 24, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Post by Easilyconfused »

Short answer is no. The same rules apply for everyone. You have precisely 3 posts to your name. The comments on the file library don't count and a number of those have been deleted indicating you don't understand the concept of authors withdrawing their work and their right to do so.

Just do what everyone else does and keep posting and the posts will be approved until the moderators are happy. Usually the approval in pretty quick but yesterday I spent the whole day at the hospital and then when I got home slept for best part of 15 hours so I just got to yesterday's posts now.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
Cyclone
New to the Forums

Post by Cyclone »

Sorry to hear about your trip to the hospital.
Easilyconfused wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:06 am You have precisely 3 posts to your name. The comments on the file library don't count and a number of those have been deleted indicating you don't understand the concept of authors withdrawing their work and their right to do so.
Actually, no, that's mistaken. Here alone, I have five approved posts, plus I think one on the previous page. viewtopic.php?p=1886379#p1886379

So I stand by my comment that there is something wrong with how posts are counted. As for authors withdrawing their work, I understand this concept, but I am also noting in cases that works have been withdrawn and trying to alery the author of, say, a route using a withdrawn asset about it. I'm puzzled which posts were considered not acceptable for the comment system. I'm sure I had at least one or two, and in the long run they likely won't matter anyway even if they were put up as others are on things where I now see a person has not posted something in years.
Just do what everyone else does and keep posting and the posts will be approved until the moderators are happy. Usually the approval in pretty quick but yesterday I spent the whole day at the hospital and then when I got home slept for best part of 15 hours so I just got to yesterday's posts now.
It's more an issue of, say. if I need help with something. I don't live in the UK, so it means conversations take place over a matter of days having to wait for approval while replies might be otherwise fast, and may not involve the person who posted the item, whom I cannot contact via PM about their work anyway despite their readme saying hey, this is how to reach me, PM me on the forum. That said, I did get some good help in that linked topic above, but it took a couple of days to get there. And now that I have the item needed for my using that guide, I may be able to put that to use. But for a route that has several withdrawn items, I am trying to figure out replacement assets to use and have no idea what some of the assets are.
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Post by Easilyconfused »

Hmm - there is something wrong somewhere. One screen tells me 5 posts and another 9 posts. I need Matt to look at that but in the meantime I have turned on full posting including PMs.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
xguerra
Very Active Forum Member

Post by xguerra »

Hi.

Sorry to post on some else's thread but it's along the lines of the same subject.

I've been a member for a few years now but have not had my PM access restored since the site upgrade. I did send a support email asking if it could be reinstated (via the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum page) but expect that it possibly wasn't received for some reason.

Is this something you can reinstate for me?
Backdated Trainsim
My site with my content: http://backdatedtrainsim.weebly.com/
dorlan
Totally Narrow Minded

Post by dorlan »

xguerra wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:59 am Hi.

Sorry to post on some else's thread but it's along the lines of the same subject.

I've been a member for a few years now but have not had my PM access restored since the site upgrade. I did send a support email asking if it could be reinstated (via the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum page) but expect that it possibly wasn't received for some reason.

I've sent you a PM so can you try accessing your PMs now, please.
Ian J
xguerra
Very Active Forum Member

Post by xguerra »

dorlan wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:53 am
xguerra wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:59 am Hi.

I've sent you a PM so can you try accessing your PMs now, please.
PM received.

Thank you very much! :D
Backdated Trainsim
My site with my content: http://backdatedtrainsim.weebly.com/
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gptech »

I have the same issue as Xavier, and have also requested the status checking with no response. Can you put me on the "things to fix" list too please? :D
dorlan
Totally Narrow Minded

Post by dorlan »

gptech wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:37 am I have the same issue as Xavier, and have also requested the status checking with no response. Can you put me on the "things to fix" list too please? :D
Try accessing your PMs now.
Ian J

Return to “Site Admin Queries”