AE crashing when zoomed in on map.

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

thenudehamster
Very Active Forum Member

Re: AE crashing when zoomed in on map.

Post by thenudehamster »

I, too, have never known the AE to run in 32-bit. Both in my own experience and from talk on here and the US forums, it's pretty well the accepted norm that AE is unstable,if it runs at all, in 32-bit.
On the other hand this is MSTS and it will always do its level best to bite you in the arse whenever possible.
BarryH - thenudehamster
(nothing to do with unclothed pet rodents -- it's just where I used to live)
-----------------
Any opinion expressed above is herein warranted to be worth exactly what you paid for it.
rlmathers
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rlmathers »

The other thing to consider is the error levels within the sim, if users are getting Send/Don`t send message, there is a serious error problem. Stock, paths, services, consists, you name it etc., any with errors will affect not only the sim, but also with greater effect (crashes), when using any of the Editors & Tools. The error detection seems less tolerant of the number of errors especially when using the Activity Editor. The sim generally gives you a chance of reading an error detected, where as the Editor simply crashes out.
Zoom faults are definitely related to insufficient graphic memory or RAM. Not only the totals, but from resource usage.

Kindest regards
Ray
choccy
Very Active Forum Member

Post by choccy »

It certainly is not true that the AE has never run in 32 bit. For the vast majority of the time since the launch of MSTS I have run the AE happily in 32 bit. nVidia drivers were definitely the first to cause crashes in 32 bit and, when I bought a new PC 18 months ago, with a nVIdia card, I experienced the AE crash in 32 bit. However the latest drivers I have installed no longer have the problem and the AE happily runs again in 32 bit.

I don't think anyone has denied that none of the ATI drivers suffer the problem; they may well do, but it is very wide of the mark to suggest that the AE has never run in 32 bit.

Mark
thenudehamster
Very Active Forum Member

Post by thenudehamster »

I didn't say it had never run in 32; I said that I had never been able to get it to run, and I understood that it was unstable, if it ran at all, in 32-bit. Technology has improved, as has our understanding of the inner workings of MSTS, so what was the norm a few years back my not now be so.
It was a long time ago, on a different computer and in another country that I gave up trying to figure out the idiosyncrasies and bloody-mindedness of MSTS Editors and now I simply run them in 16-bit mode. Saves problems.
BarryH - thenudehamster
(nothing to do with unclothed pet rodents -- it's just where I used to live)
-----------------
Any opinion expressed above is herein warranted to be worth exactly what you paid for it.
David1955
New to the Forums

Post by David1955 »

Thanks all, I'd been wondering why it didn't work on my "new" PC - it's a about 3 years old already but has (obviously) later NVIDIA cards than the old one. I was quite resigned to just building consists - the standard-issue MSTS routes let me do that - but never getting them to meet anywhere. Catch-up time fast approaching...
ianmacmillan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by ianmacmillan »

Works for me.

[album 80489 WWCo.jpg]
If it's got buffers it's Chain.
EternalSlayer
Getting the hang of things now

Post by EternalSlayer »

I can't find the relevant options menu on AE in order to change the resolution. Any pointers?
Lad491
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Lad491 »

It picks up the same resolution as the actual sim is set for, so if you change the resolution in options in the sim, then exit and load the editor it will show the same there. Or, as in the example above, you can go into your desktop properties and set the resolution there. Right click on the desktop and pick properties.
NeilUK02
New to the Forums

Post by NeilUK02 »

I'm having the same sort of problems but only it seems when trying to create an activity for the east coast routes. All others seem fine

I got it to load the route ok by using 16bt and also by loading a default route first but as soon as I started pressing the buttons to do anything I got the dreaded ".... is not responding and has to close"

Propbably the new nVidia drivers but unfortunately the advise on here to use old drivers doesn't help as games like Far Cry 2 and Crysis need the newest drivers!

Not sure what I can do really, frustrating as I wanted to create some activities around Leeds and also a Leeds to London one. No one else seems to create any
Lad491
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Lad491 »

Are you using trainstore and have you stored all your other routes and as many activities of ECE as you dontneed? Big routes use a lot of resources and can sometimes have msts struggling. Also try loading a default route and turning off as many of the views as you can do without. Finally, give it plenty of time to fully load before trying to do anything. It can take a few minutes.

Oh and windows is not responding doesnt always mean what it says, it just means that the program hasnt responded to a staying alive request from windows, which it sometimes cant if its very busy. Ignore it and, if windows doesnt then crash completely, it may recover.
NeilUK02
New to the Forums

Post by NeilUK02 »

No you missed what the error is, its not that it just doesn't respond for a while. It gives the must close error, there is no way of waiting for it to respond, it simply closes.

I'm not using trainstore but I have in the past before I had to re-install everything, I'll install it again and try that.

Actually since I last posted I have got the editor to work sometimes by loading a default activity and then loading my saved one. Works fine in the game except a slight error on my part where I went from Leeds to Wakefield going south on the north track ...oops! Luckily I had no traffic coming south!

I'll give trainstore a go and see if it works smoother. Cheers
NeilUK02
New to the Forums

Post by NeilUK02 »

No luck I'm afraid, stored everything except my activity and still Microsoft has to close message comes up and the program closes. Of course with everything stored I couldn't open a default one first which sometimes does allow me to load mine up. Back to the drawing board I'm afraid.
I'm left to think its my nVidia drivers, but I can't go back to older ones as FarCry and Crysis needs the new ones.
Lad491
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Lad491 »

Of course with everything stored I couldn't open a default one first which sometimes does allow me to load mine up
You could unstore a single default activity too, that shouldnt be too much of a load for the editor :) What resolution are you showing the editor in.? It works best at 1024 x 768, although i know some have got it to work in higher resolutions it wont on my laptop but will at 1024 x 768 :)

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”