AE crashing when zoomed in on map.

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

Ghostcav
Well Established Forum Member

AE crashing when zoomed in on map.

Post by Ghostcav »

Hi,
I've been having a problem with activity editor on the route I have built,when I load the editor it works fine as does everything else.Except when I zoom the map in & then I get the screen of death.I've just reinstalled all of MSTS+addons (SVR/LSE only this time) & the AE works fine on them.Just downloaded the fantastic Highland Mainline route & the AE crashes the same as my own route.Desperate now as I miss making my own activitys & I can't find any for the highland line yet.
Wales & Borders(BR) V3.1 status.
Re-released for RW. Hopefully some of you will get it to work this time.
choccy
Very Active Forum Member

Post by choccy »

Try changing the display quality in display properties to 16 bit, it should fix it and then, when not using AE, revert to 32 bit. It seems to be an issue with certain nVidia drivers. Mark
Ghostcav
Well Established Forum Member

Post by Ghostcav »

:fadein:

You sir are a star.

I've been banging my head against the wall for months with this problem,just tried what You said & it works perfectly. Shame I did a full reinstall as now I have to rebuild all my train's,consists,services & paths. Oh well I had quite a few missing links after the last 4 years so it will be good to start over.

Thanks a lot anyhow.
Wales & Borders(BR) V3.1 status.
Re-released for RW. Hopefully some of you will get it to work this time.
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jbilton »

Ghostcav wrote::fadein:

I've been banging my head against the wall for months with this problem,just tried what You said & it works perfectly. Shame I did a full reinstall .
Hi
It is a shame.......as this question comes up at least once a week....maybe it should be a sticky.
Cheers
Jon
------------------------Supporting whats good in the British community------------------------
terrycunliffe
Very Active Forum Member
Location: Back in the padded cell, however, I did manage to smuggle a full bottle in with me!

Post by terrycunliffe »

I've just come across another variant of this problem. :(

AE had been crashing, not only when zooming in, but also by any on screen movement after verifying start when testing an activity in AE.

The usual ploy of setting to 16 bit didn't improve anything.

Turns out to be my dispay adapter driver. (NVIDIA GE Force 5200).
I'd recently 'upgraded' to an all-singing all dancing 'universal GE Force series' driver.

Went back to the original drivers, and all OK again.

Terry
Virtual Navvy for North West England & Metrolink.

Two rules to get you through life: If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, gorilla glue it.
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jbilton »

Hi Terry
Thats the card I'm on too (good card for its day and msts)
I've never upgraded the drivers since getting it.
Which is a little easier for me I suppose, as I don't play anything else.
Support for MSTS was removed from the Nvidia driver list at least 12 months ago.
I think my drivers are 59.22 or similar....not sure what they upto now.
Cheers
Jon
------------------------Supporting whats good in the British community------------------------
biged
Been on the forums for a while

Post by biged »

It too have a high end Nvidea card with the latest drivers and was experiencing the same trouble.
As It is a new PC I have never had trouble with this problem running an ATI based Card on my old pc.
It had me stumped and I was beggining to suspect the integrity of the route or My MSTS installation.
What a fine technical forum you have here with most answers to most problems.
I dropped the settings to 16 bit and act ed now works a treat!
My congratulations to all and Thanks.
Cheers Ed
:drinking: :drinking:
Lad491
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Lad491 »

I have often said that Nvidia's own advice is you should NEVER upgrade video drivers unless the upgrade is known to fix a particular problem. The driver which work best are ALWAYS the drivers the card is shipped with.

I once made the mistake of updating video drivers but thankfully, NVidia were extremely helpful and sent me a CD of old drivers which fixed the problem. So...

NEVER update video drivers unless the update fixes a known problem which you are experiencing. :)
Desiromad
Been on the forums for a while

Post by Desiromad »

Hi folks, I am having another varient of this problem.

When I zoom in, say over Ilford depot, and I have loads of static trains there, the AE crashes. It happens wherever I have a static train, the AE crashes, with a send error report, or don't send error message. How can I solve this?

Cheers
Tom
choccy
Very Active Forum Member

Post by choccy »

If it's happening only when you have a lot of static consists but not otherwise it may be best to load AE with no activity, or a light one, and deselect some of the options under the View menu in case you have a memory overload problem.

If this doesn't work you could try resetting the registry settings which may have become corrupted. It happens all too frequently!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/1.0/HWRenderer

is the path you must follow.

In the right hand window delete all the keys beginning with AE; they will be regenerated correctly later, when you open AE.

Mark
alan2
Peak Rail Route Author
Location: Secret Routebuilders Castle lost on the way to the toilet!

Re:

Post by alan2 »

choccy wrote:Try changing the display quality in display properties to 16 bit, it should fix it and then, when not using AE, revert to 32 bit. It seems to be an issue with certain nVidia drivers. Mark

Not just Nvidia Drivers that causes this problem. I am running ATI Radeon and have the same problem, because I wasn't Nvidia I was looking for a reason, not realising I had display set to 32 bit. only have the two options too on this card of 32 or 16 bit.
Alan Heath
Why does DOS never Say Excelent Command or filename ?!!?!??
To Err is human, computers output the errors at higher speed.
thenudehamster
Very Active Forum Member

Re: AE crashing when zoomed in on map.

Post by thenudehamster »

The AE, unlike the sim proper, can only handle 16-bit graphics; it matters not whether you have a soopa-doopa graphics card or a cheap and cheerful on-board chip, it's 16-bit for the AE or it falls over.
BarryH - thenudehamster
(nothing to do with unclothed pet rodents -- it's just where I used to live)
-----------------
Any opinion expressed above is herein warranted to be worth exactly what you paid for it.
rlmathers
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rlmathers »

That, simply is not true.
Never had a problem running any of the Editors & Tools in 32bit.

Lad491
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Lad491 »

Well ive never been able to run the editor in 32bit colour. It will crash every time. Works a treat in 16 bit though.
So there must be something else which is affecting it and which is cancelled out by turning the setting down to 16 bit. It may not have anything to do with that at all.

Edit:

Ive just noticed your are running your refresh rate at 75Hz. I run my CRT monitor (i dont have one of those fancy flat screen jobs) at 60 Hz. I wonder if that can be it.
rlmathers
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rlmathers »

Hi Laurie

From long experience, I don`t think it as to do with either the colour depth or the refresh rate.
Most Activity Editor running problems occur with machines with either insufficient graphic memory or general low resources.

Kindest regards
Ray

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”