Settle Milk Run problems

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

Geoffwright
Established Forum Member

Post by Geoffwright »

I was foolish enough to try to install this activity for S&C 1930's.

Now I have a vast list of missing items as reported by Route Control.
The basic problem is loads of discrepancies between the readme file's report of what filenames are required & Route Control's reports. In many cases the .eng file names are close, but that's not good enough !
For example, the readme recommended 8f loco file can be found, but it has differently named loco files inside - 8f02 rather than 8f01 - close, but not exact. Trying to modify .eng files seems to lead to more problems !
Now I cannot get the activity out of my computer as it is littered with traffic & service files that I can't recognise from their file names as being required for other activities.
All in all a mess. Route control is now no good, as its reports are dominated with missing service & consists.
Does anyone have a proper list & site location guide as to where the Milk Run full traffic list stock items (with CORRECT filenames & .eng files !) can be found ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: geoffwright on 2002-05-11 06:23 ]</font>
Bigant
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Bigant »

Hi
Had the same problem myself. Open windows explorer and find your way to ..train sim/route/settle 1930/activities open milk run and check the static consists. rc does not seem to recognise them, you can change
engine or wagon files to those you have
manually just enter wag file name followed by
the trainset file name, make sure each consist you change matches, same names same number of stock. If you are not sure about editing files just delete the activity.
Bigant
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Bigant »

Hi
Sorry I forgot to mention, there is a read me file which gives the list of traffic.
Geoffwright
Established Forum Member

Post by Geoffwright »

Thanks - that help.
However, still wish I could find the stock.
For example, you need an " 8PStanier01 " file, but can't find that searching UKTrainsim.Tried Train-Sim, but searches on "Stanier", 8p, 46256, etc. etc. reveals zilch.
Why do these activity writers make us jump through such difficult hoops ?
It seems to me that sometimes they use files that they downloaded & subsequently modified, or something, so when you go off & try to find the files yourself, you get something subtly different !
Incidentally, just deleting an activity file is no good - you still have a system littered with obscurely named consists, paths, services, traffic ....
It goes on & on ....
Route Control doesn't like it !

No - I was wrong. DID find the 8p by searching UKTS, putting 46256 in the keyword field as the only entry.
One down, 99 to go ....!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: geoffwright on 2002-05-11 16:21 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: geoffwright on 2002-05-11 16:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: geoffwright on 2002-05-11 16:29 ]</font>
stewart
Well Established Forum Member

Post by stewart »

I have got this activity working without too much trouble compared to some others I have tried. I think the main problem I encountered with finding some of the stock for it was in the way some of the folders are named but using the zip file guide on the readme was a great help. Everything is listed there and I found that I had all the needed stock already. All I had to do was copy some folders and rename them. One of the problems was that some of the stock was Norman Walkers and as he doesnt include a recommended folder name in his readme file,
it can cause conflicts. Also watch out for such things as a folder needing to be called 5plank as opposed to 5plnk and such like.
Run the activity through the route control checker and using the zip file guide in the activities read me along with your own list of downloads, you should be able to get all you need.
Cheers,
Stewart.
Geoffwright
Established Forum Member

Post by Geoffwright »

Thanks - all very helpful.
In fact after hours & hours, I've finally got everything except one (of course !)

That last infuriating straw has almost broken me, but not quite.

Straw in question is "8Plnk_cement.wag", alegedly in file cement.zip.

Well, no site I could find has anything on "cement". It might be on UKTS, I suppose, masquerading under some other name, but I'm damned if I can find it.
I suppose I should just admit defeat & either forge it or edit it out, but still ...

In the immortal words of John Cleese, it's not the despair I mind, it's the HOPE .....!

Could some kind soul send me "cement" ? I promise I'll strap it to my feet & jump in the deep end ....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: geoffwright on 2002-05-12 13:12 ]</font>
saddletank
Very Active Forum Member

Post by saddletank »

I think that is one of Norman Walkers on Train-sim.com. It's a GW iron mink van painted in the Blue Circle PO livery of Ferrocrete, IIRC. If you scan thru the world wagons section you'll find it soon enough.
Martin

Post by stewart »

Hi Geoff, You have mail.
Cheers,
Stewart.
BobLatimer
Very Active Forum Member

Post by BobLatimer »

Geoff (and anyone else that wants to listen),

I would make a few suggestions to prevent the same disaster (and frustration) happening to you again:
- if you don't want to spend a lot of time hunting for missing models, don't install any activity that has a long list of required stock in the readme file.
- if there's a low-traffic alternative (as there was with this one) choose that instead.
- if you want to go with the high-traffic alternative, check what you already have installed against what is listed in the readme file and find as much as you can before you install the activity.
- that way the list of missing models should be manageable.
- get a copy of Activity Analysis - it is easier to work with if you have to substitute for missing models.

Unfortunately there's no standard naming convention (yet) for MSTS, so these hassles have to be put up with.
Geoffwright
Established Forum Member

Post by Geoffwright »

Yes, you're absolutely right, but hope that one can crack the stock-list problem always seems to spring eternal !

As it happens, the slog was well worth it, as this set of activities is of very superior quality. Having had a go at activity creating myself, I can see that an awful lot of work has gone into creating the Milk Run activities.

(Have had a little problem with the part2 paths, though, as I can't quite see how to pick up the required wagons at the Express Dairies sidings. Shouldn't there be reversing points on the path there ?

Or am I being even dimmer than normal ?
BobLatimer
Very Active Forum Member

Post by BobLatimer »

Haven't got that far yet. Will let you know.
morricom
Been on the forums for a while

Post by morricom »

I have been able to pick up the milk tankers at Appleby, but when I pull out of the Express Dairies siding I am unable to change the points to reverse back along the mainline into the other siding where I have 'parked' the rest of the train, any help apprecited

Ian Morris
stewart
Well Established Forum Member

Post by stewart »

Try going into the dairy sidings with your train and doing a little bit of juggling to get your brake van to the back. I think its the only way to complete this activity.
Cheers,
Stewart
hairyred
New to the Forums

Post by hairyred »

Hi all,

I'm just back from holiday, which is why I haven't replied to this and the other thread before now.

Firstly, I'm sorry if anyone has had trouble with this activity

The folder names/zip file names in the readme file are all as recommended in the relevant downloads. As someone has already pointed out, not all downloads give a recommended folder name, which is why I have included the ones I use in the readme.

As far as I am aware, I have not changed any .eng or .wag files, so all stock should install and work with no problems (other than the folder name thing mentioned above).

When picking up the consists at Appleby, you should(as has been pointed out) pull the whole train past the points(they then automatically change without requiring a reverse point), reverse into one or other of the sidings, drop your guards van(caboose), pick up the consist from the other siding at the back of your train. Pull out and then reverse into the first siding. pick up the guards van and drop it in the now empty siding, now pick up the second consist, re-attach the guards van and off you go.

I *did* try to do this bit of the activity in the way that morricom attempted, but no matter what I did with reversing points etc, I could not get the point to allow you to reverse back along the main line to pick up the dropped wagons.

If you consider the amout of time it takes to check each change to the activity, you can probably understand why I decided to do it the way I eventually did. It worked first time.

BTW, thanks to latimers! the email you sent me at my other addres allowed me to fix my antispam rules, so any mail sent to the address in the readme should noe get through.

regards
Hairy Red
Geoffwright
Established Forum Member

Post by Geoffwright »

Fine activity, very tricky.
Completed it finally after 3 hrs 25 mins.

Who was that silly clot who thought he was "unfortunate" to have downloaded this activity ?

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”