Action Events Problem

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Action Events Problem

Post by dforrest »

I am writing an activity in which I want to use the wagon pick-up and drop-off features in "Action Events". Unfortunately I am not able to do this. When I open the Action Event window and click on "New" the only option available in the drop-down menu is "Stop at final station". I have used these features before but it was probably before I upgraded to Windows 10.

Can anyone help?
David
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Action Events Problem

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi David,
It's nothing to do with Windows 10, per se, as I've just tested it :)

The problem was raised, and solution suggested, 8 years ago on trainsim.com - see here : https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthrea ... ts-choices

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

Thanks Ged. I saw the TrainSim thread yesterday and checked the files I had in my Translated DLL's folder and they are the same as I have installed. I have today downloaded 1.7.072421 but there is no way to extract only the two files needed in the install. I (accidentally) went ahead and installed BIN and, if it did in fact install, although I have a later version instilled, the files in question are the same.

Conclusion - problem not resolved!

Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi David,
The files in the Translated DLLs folder do nothing! You need to copy the dialog.dll and string.dll files from the EN subfolder into your MSTS root folder.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

Ged, the two files in the Translated DLLs folder and the root folder are identical.

Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi David,
My apologies, but when I supplied the published solution, I didn't perform any tests :oops:

I believe I have found the culprit!

I only use v1.8.0521 EN of the bin patch, but have never bothered to change the dialog.dll and string.dll files - everything seemed to work OK.
I have now discovered that if the dialog.dll file is replaced by the Bin version, only one option appears in the Action events Properties window. It doesn't matter which version of string.dll is used.
The solution is to restore the default version of dialog.dll, but that is easier said than done because the Bin installer doesn't back it up!

The dialog.dll from v1.7.0519 of Bin DOES show the full list of events (I managed to find an old installation with that version of Bin installed!!).

Although, for this problem, any version of string.dll may be used, other effects/errors may be caused if it is not used with its "matching" dialog.dll file.

Cheers,
Ged
Last edited by slipperman12 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

OK, thanks again Ged. I have check my backups etc. and have found dialog.dll and string.dll files which appear to be from an older BIN version. I have copied them to the installation with the problem and the problem is resolved. Back to activity writing!
David
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi David,
That's good news :)
I've put a similar post in your trainsim.com thread.

Cheers,
Ged

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”