Failed to find SMS file

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

kenpix
Getting the hang of things now

Failed to find SMS file

Post by kenpix »

I've been setting up an activity on the Watersnake route (which I'm very impressed with) and suddenly faced with this recurring message after a couple of minutes which prevents any more driving. However instead of the message showing details of the sound file which is missing, the message is followed by ?? then a square.
Has anyone come across this as I can't locate the source of the problem with this info!
Thanks
Ken
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Failed to find SMS file

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Ken,
I don't know whether this will answer your problem, but I have a note in my archive concerning the Watersnake (New Forest) route :
The following MUST be carried out after this route is installed :

1. Install Stuart Williamson's Track Sounds (File ID 3218)
2. Replace the existing ttype.dat file with the supplied NF_ttype.dat
This will avoid CTDs at Bournemouth (and maybe other places) which happens when using diesel locos (it has been reported with steam locos also, but I've not experienced it)
I know you haven't reported a CTD, but the ttype.dat file contains calls for .sms files.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
kenpix

Post by kenpix »

Thanks Ged, will investigate this.
brace2011
Been on the forums for a while

Post by brace2011 »

Hi Ken

I had this problem. It crashed every time near Lymington pier. From what I recall the ttype.dat file contains only 10 track sound types, whereas the route demands 11.

My solution was to open ttype.dat (after having made a back-up, of course) and change the first number from 10 to 11, and then add

TrackType ( "Wooden Pointwork" "EuropeSteamTrack2In.sms" "EuropeSteamTrack2Ex.sms" )

as a new line at the end of the file. Save it, then try and run the route, then tell us what happens.

Hope this helps.

Martin
scampispeedway
Very Active Forum Member

Post by scampispeedway »

Hi Ken, a look at the ttype.dat file in my Watersnake Route Folder shows that I had made the same changes that Martin has posted, and be assured
that it will cure the fault.

Bob
kenpix

Post by kenpix »

Thanks gents, the relevant changes have been made and (touch wood) the problem is cured.
Ken

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”