Getting around the crawling AI bug on MT's Great Eastern

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

Hello111
Getting the hang of things now

Getting around the crawling AI bug on MT's Great Eastern

Post by Hello111 »

Hi all,

I am trying to create a relatively simple activity from Ipswich to Liverpool Street calling at a few stations. However, I cannot get the AI traffic to run correctly as all stock out of Liverpool Street is frozen at 15 mph. I have tried to place stock between LST and Shenfield at higher starting speeds, but they will immidetely slow to 15 miles per hour.

However, I created a simple timetable consisting of an class 86/mk 2s from Liverpool Street and drove alongside it in a 315. I noticed the train seemed to run at a proper speed and eventually outran my 315. However, when making a full timetable trains take 4 hours to reach Ipswich from Liverpool Street.

I understand the problem lies with the starting speed limit of the train is the only speed it will travel at, but is there any solutions? I've spent so much time on MSTS writing activities that don't ever work and I really don't want to have to go to Rail Simulator which seems too costly to run.

Thanks
gswindale
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Getting around the crawling AI bug on MT's Great Eastern

Post by gswindale »

Hi,

Are you using the playback function in the Activity Editor or actually running the activity in the simulator itself.

From memory; the playback function is rubbish at showing what really happens!
Geoffrey Swindale.
Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
Hello111
Getting the hang of things now

Post by Hello111 »

gswindale wrote:Hi,

Are you using the playback function in the Activity Editor or actually running the activity in the simulator itself.

From memory; the playback function is rubbish at showing what really happens!
Hi,

A bit of both, the playback tool has a tendency of showing the player train to crawl as well, even when I'm driving at above linespeed, so I too was a bit sceptical.

However, my activity starts at 13:07, as a test I placed one train leaving Liverpool Street at around 12, it should get in to Ipswich round about when I start. Of course it was crawling in the Activity Editor. When I set the start time of that AI train back to 09:10, it arrived into Ipswich as the activity started. So sadly, the playback tool was being accurate.

I placed that particular AI's startpoint just outside Liverpool Street in the 30 mph zone, and further out in a 70 mph zone, but it will still crawl.
johnbarron
Established Forum Member

Post by johnbarron »

Your understanding is correct. If you start an AI train in a section of track that has a 15 mph speed limit, it will only run at 15 mph for the rest of its journey. It's an MSTS bug and as far as I know the only "solution" is to not start AI trains in track where there is a low speed limit.
scampispeedway
Very Active Forum Member

Post by scampispeedway »

Hi John, that is my understanding of the speed of AI trains as well, many commercial Routes with AI Traffic always start it on the main line and so will
slow down if they meet a section where the limit is lower and speed up once through it.

Cheers
Bob
gswindale
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gswindale »

Hi,

One trick is to not run AI for the full path.

If you're using Greater Eastern rather than the original GE; then feel free to take a look at
"GE2 FGE Clacton - London" in the activity editor (filename is "GE2 mt_gs_clacton-london.act") to see how I deal with it - basically I tend to start services a few minutes before I'm expecting to see them and then the path ends a little while after we've passed.

As well as helping with any speed issues caused by MSTS; this also reduces the number of resources required as you will only have the AI appearing around the time you're near it rather than having it run for the duration of the activity.

Hope this helps.
Geoffrey Swindale.
Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”