Player Control in an Activity

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Player Control in an Activity

Post by dforrest »

In an activity I am writing I need to change to player control of the path for some shunting to be done part way though an activity, and then, when the shunting is complete, change back to setting the path by reverse points.

I am sure that I have seen this done but do not know how to set it up. Can anyone help?
David
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Player Control in an Activity

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi David,
Are you sure you're not thinking of Open Rails? I don't think there is a way in MSTS.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
scampispeedway
Very Active Forum Member

Post by scampispeedway »

Hi David, I do remember in one MSTS Activity where you had to go to an area where after following the path, you then had to use manual points
changing to shunt your wagons, after doing this you left the sidings and recovered the path again before travelling on to the end of run.
I'm not certain about which Route it was for but I think it was in the K&WVR version 2 Triangle Route but I would have to check the Activity Analysis
sheets to confirm my assumption.

Cheers
Bob
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

Ged. I will have to look though activities I have played but I am sure it is done in MSTS.

_________
David

(I wrote the above before seeing Bob's post, where he has confirmed it)
David
scampispeedway
Very Active Forum Member

Post by scampispeedway »

Hi David, a check on my Activities in Version 2 of the Triangle but I couldn't find the one I thought it was, so looked in the Version 1 Triangle and sure
enough I found the one I had done, the Activity was called the RN_Greenwood Quarry which did involve manually changing some points before proceeding.

Cheers
Bob
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

scampispeedway wrote:Hi David, a check on my Activities in Version 2 of the Triangle but I couldn't find the one I thought it was, so looked in the Version 1 Triangle and sure
enough I found the one I had done, the Activity was called the RN_Greenwood Quarry which did involve manually changing some points before proceeding.

Cheers
Bob
How was that achieved?

ianmacmillan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by ianmacmillan »

You can only go off path if there are hand points.

Use a reversing point to take you into the last siding you will use and put a reversing point part way along it.
Use hand points to make your shunting moves without triping the reversing point.
When you are done shunting go into the siding and trip the RP to continue your journey.
[album 80489 WWCo.jpg]
If it's got buffers it's Chain.
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

ianmacmillan wrote:You can only go off path if there are hand points.

Use a reversing point to take you into the last siding you will use and put a reversing point part way along it.
Use hand points to make your shunting moves without triping the reversing point.
When you are done shunting go into the siding and trip the RP to continue your journey.
Thanks Ian. Am I correct in assuming that manual points can only be specified for a particular location when designing the route in Route Editor.

scampispeedway
Very Active Forum Member

Post by scampispeedway »

Hi David, on this occasion you had a R.pt. on the Viaduct so you could enter the Greenwood sidings in reverse and stop in the head-shunt, where it
says you trip another R.pt. but I think this this is wrong as you need this R.pt. to go back to the mainline.
After stopping in the head-shunt without tripping the R.pt. there you need to go forwards using the manual points and stop in the passing loop, there
you uncouple the loco and run around your train using manual points and after going back into the loop you push the empty wagons and the brake van
into the right hand of the two sidings.
After uncoupling the train including the brake-van, you reverse and then pick up the full wagons in the next left hand siding using manual points and
reverse back into the loop and if need be use the head-shunt and stop, then you push the wagons forward again using the manual points and couple up
with your original wagons and brake-van.
Now uncouple the brake-van from the empty wagons and reverse into head-shunt where you trip the R.pt. on this track and this would send you back
to the mainline where you trip another R.pt. to allow you to head back to Queensbury in reverse but at the head of your new train.
So the trick is that you create a path with an entry point into the area that you want to do the shunting and taking note of where the exit R.pt. is
and in between you can shunt to your hearts content using manual points until you are finished and then trip the exit R.pt. to exit the sidings.

Bob
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
Thanks Ian and Bob - that's a clever use of an RP! You live and learn (well, I do :) )

Apologies, David :oops:

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

Bob, are the manual point set as manual points in Route Editor?

scampispeedway
Very Active Forum Member

Post by scampispeedway »

Hi David, yes I think that the points in the Greenwood sidings are set as manual ones in Route Editor, that probably is the reason for the
author not creating a normal path with more R.Pts.to accommodate all the moves needed.

Bob
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

Going on from here, I can see which are manual points when running the sim because am animated lever is shown for manual points.

My question now is, how do you tell which points are automatic and which are manual, when using Activity Editor?

Very Active Forum Member
Location: Back in the padded cell, however, I did manage to smuggle a full bottle in with me!

Post by terrycunliffe »

dforrest wrote:
My question now is, how do you tell which points are automatic and which are manual, when using Activity Editor?

(unfortunately that only happened in the new bits and not in the original V 1&2 track work)
T
Virtual Navvy for North West England & Metrolink.

Two rules to get you through life: If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, gorilla glue it.
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dforrest »

Thanks Terry. Another related question.

Can player paths, including paths with reverse points, be written in Activity Editor, which run over areas with a mixture of manual and automatic points (or even all manual points) with the only difference being that the player will be able to change the manual points with "G" when running running the activity? This obviously cannot be done with automatic points.

David
David

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”