Player in a multi-loco consist

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
Here's one for all the MSTS Wizards out there :)

Using a multi-loco consist is it possible to start an activity with the Player in a loco other than the lead unit?
I have tried putting an AI loco at the head, but MSTS chooses that, one then complains there's no cabview!

I fully realise that if the activity starts with the player train stationary, then it's a simple matter, using the Bin patch, to move to another loco, but that's not what I want to do. I would like to start an activity with the Player train at speed, with the Player in the rear loco's cab.

I have read through Rich Garber's activity creation manual and searched the Forums here and at trainsim.com without success. Nobody seems to have asked the question before .... maybe it's because it's just not possible!

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
Nvincer
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Nvincer »

I wouldn't have thought it is possible, unless you convert the lead locos .eng files to .wag files making them totally undriveable. Then MSTS will place you in what it sees as the 'first loco'.
Ben Vincer
------------------------------------------
Visit Bubble's Railways - http://www.bubblesrailways.co.uk
Dreamland (Margate) Miniature Railway Route and Stock Pack now Available!
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Re: Player in a multi-loco consist

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Ged,

Some locos have a DIT version, using one of them saves converting files and should work. The concept is definitely possible with an undriveable loco as the lead - just like driving a steam loco tender first. I've certainly never succeeded in doing what you are attempting.

Regards,

Stephen
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
Thanks, Ben and Stephen, for your responses :)
I don't want to say too much, but for what I'm hoping to achieve, a DIT loco wouldn't do!

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
steamnut44
Very Active Forum Member

Post by steamnut44 »

I tried this quite a while ago, when I was building the SCP and what you are trying to achieve won't work. Starting an activity with a double head loco, (or a tail end banker loco) will always put you in the lead cab. As long as you remain stationary, you can change cabs and drive the player train from the second loco's cab and if you wanted to, revert to driving from the leading loco cab, once you stop at a station or at a red signal for instance.
Starting a similar activity with the locos on the move, it is impossible to change cabs, whilst the consist is in motion, as you will always be placed in the leading cab.
The only way to achieve this, is to have an AI (undrivable loco) as the lead engine in the consist and drivable loco as the second. This will put you in the drivable player loco at the start of the activity, from either a standing start or a start on the move. I'm talking about steam loco's here, I have never tried it with Diesels or a Steam/Diesel pair.

What I have done in the past, is use a banking loco on the rear of the player train when starting on a gradient and released the banker whilst on the move, by uncoupling it. This will block the line behind you, but you can still carry on to your destination
It seems that whatever the situation, you can only swap cabs when stationary.
Owner of The First Steam Powered Computer by James Watt
Creator of The Blackpool Illuminations for The Blackpool Tram Route
Joint Author of the SCOTTISH CENTRAL PLUS ROUTE
Presently TAKING A BREAK!
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Post by dforrest »

Ged, if "multi" is "two", could you start the consist in reversion making the second loco that active loco, and then change to the first?
David
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Gentlemen,
Thanks, Geoff and David, for your replies/suggestions :)

I suspected that my proposed scenario might be impossible in MSTS, but I'll take all suggestions and ideas on-board and continue testing for now ;)

Cheers,
Ged

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”