STEAMNUT'S ACTIVITY WORKSHOP

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

steamnut44
Very Active Forum Member

STEAMNUT'S ACTIVITY WORKSHOP

Post by steamnut44 »

Hi Everyone, well it's a while since I was active with MSTS and since completing the SCP Route a couple of years ago, I thought I would have a go at Activity Creation for a change.
I did a few activities for the SCP before it was released, but since then I have got a little rusty with the Activity Editor. Anyway, I have dusted off the cobwebs from my AE and have decided to start with an activity for the SCP, which is a good route to start on I suppose (well I would say that, wouldn't I).

Multi Drop/Pick Up Goods Activity

Yes, that's what it's called and that is exactly what type of activity it will be! I will just give you a quick run down of how it will run.

Starting off with a light engine, you take it approx. 10 miles north to a place where you have to pick up a consignment of wagon's and take them back the way you came, and on to another place further south, where you will drop off and also pick up another consignment.
There will be two more drop off and pick up points to do and finally, after your goods assignment, you have to go a recover a broken down loco and take it to the nearest MPD, for repairs. This will end the activity.
I think you will find it quite enjoyable and a little different. It will also be a bit of a mystery tour, as you won't know where you are going until you receive instructions along the way.
There will be lots of static consists placed throughout the path of the activity and quite a bit of AI traffic to keep you amused, whilst you take your loco to the various destinations.

I will keep you informed as it progresses, but it's not going to be finished overnight. :roll:
Owner of The First Steam Powered Computer by James Watt
Creator of The Blackpool Illuminations for The Blackpool Tram Route
Joint Author of the SCOTTISH CENTRAL PLUS ROUTE
Presently TAKING A BREAK!
PeterPeddlesden
Atomic Systems Team
Atomic Systems Team

Re: STEAMNUT'S ACTIVITY WORKSHOP

Post by PeterPeddlesden »

Good to see you back Geoff.
steamnut44
Very Active Forum Member

Post by steamnut44 »

Thank you Pete. Well I will be around for quite a while I think, as long as I'm still breathing :lol:
So I have decided to turn my attention to Activity Creation for a change, as Route Building is a very long and arduous task and I don't think I want to spend years at the computer, just on one project.
Besides, I find working out an activity, quite enjoyable, although like route building, it can be quite frustrating at times, trying to get everything running in sync with each other, but at least, making an activity, is less hassle.
mickrik
Very Active Forum Member

Post by mickrik »

Hi Geoff,

Good to see you getting creative again.

I will have another new engine for SCP soon :D

Mick
dee4141
Very Active Forum Member

Post by dee4141 »

Well done Geoff. Pleased to see you contributing again.....good luck with the activity. :D
steamnut44
Very Active Forum Member

Post by steamnut44 »

Thank you Mick & Danny. Just thought I would try Activities for a change , as I have only done a few for the SCP, before it was released. Doing a goods activity, that requires several pick up and drop off locations, involves quite a bit of shunting of the player loco. I am also trying to add some AI shunting at the places where the player train is exchanging consists (especially in through yards, like Thornton Sidings and the sidings at Inverkiething on the SCP.
The biggest problem is getting the timings of arrival and departure of the player consist to correspond with the moving AI consists in the sidings, so that they are visible during the time the player train is at that particular place.

The activity I am working on, involves travelling light engine in reverse for a distance of 9 miles North, to pick up the first consignment of wagons. (time allowed to travel, 15 min, average speed 45 to 50 mph). Time allowed to pick up before leaving, 5 min, (This, allowing time to watch a bit of AI shunting)

On leaving with first consist, travel back South for approx, 16 miles, time allowed to travel, 25 min, average speed 35 to 45 mph. Time allowed to exchange consists 7 min (again allowing time to see some AI manoeuvers )
So far, I seemed to have got everything as I want it (including AI Traffic trains spaced out, travelling in opposite direction to Player train, for the distances travelled.

I am now working on the rest of the activity, which involves one more drop off/pick up, then final drop off, before travelling light engine again, to recover a broken down loco and take it to a MPD for repair, where the activity will end. Total time of activity approx 1 hr 45 min.

I am not disclosing the destinations, but there are some interesting places to see throughout the route.

I might have to call on your expertise Mick, if I get a bit confused, as your activities you did for the SCP are very good, with plenty of static consists eye candy to see. A new loco for the SCP, sounds good too! :D

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”