Scottish Central Plus - Class 22 RL

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

hertford
Established Forum Member

Scottish Central Plus - Class 22 RL

Post by hertford »

So, when I got Scottish Central Plus I just had to add in some extra stock to 'spice things up' a little more in terms of both diesel and steam traction. A few things I added was the J27 and MCLW wagons stock pack as well as D6732 - a Class 22 in BR Green with yellow warning panel.

The activity I have in mind in this case is a Route Learner from St. Margarets' TMD to Perth, sometime around 1966 when steam is on the way out, but not entirely gone. (As such, Flying Scotsman on an Aberdeen-London express over the Forth Bridge, as well as J27s and Peckett 0-6-0s on local coal, iron and goods freights)

The activity is centred around the Route Learner, which takes the part of a Class 22 North-Brit baby warship (D6732), which has been pulled out for the task due to the lack of an available Sulzer Diesel. Depending on popularity I might make a part 2 which returns with a goods train, or maybe even a passenger service/train rescue operation.

What I'd like to know is... first off, is there an available warship cabview that can be used? The one that should be used is clearly no longer available.
Also, were any Class 22 North Brits actually allocated in Scotland around 1966? Going on what I know (not a lot!) the Class 29 was displaced in Scotland by the Class 24-27s, while the Class 22 was primarily located in South Wales and the West Country. Of course this is only based on what I know from the "Feast of Diesels" video as I was born far too late to have any real knowledge of their true allocations and where they might have ended up.

The main problem I'm having right now is services meeting each other at junctions, and no train having a right-of-way. In most cases I was able to fix it, but there's one in particular near Dunfermline that's persistent on being red (at least in the editor, not got that far with testing yet). Is there a patch that fixes these? I've tried looking but not found any patches for that route.

Anyways all help, feedback and suggestions are welcomed. :-)
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Re: Scottish Central Plus - Class 22 RL

Post by ashgray »

Hi Hertford

Class 22 diesel hydraulic locos were introduced in 1959, manufactured by the ill-fated North British Locomotive company, and had numbers in the D63xx range (D6732 would be a Class 37). Like the other diesel hydraulics, they were used exclusively on the Western Region of BR.

North British also manufactured the Class 21 locos, an electric transmission version of the Class 22, and it is these locos that I think you refer to, as they were used on the Scottish Region, following initial trials on the Eastern Region. They were never successful and, in an effort to improve performance and reliability, twenty of the Class 21s were re-engined with Paxman Ventura engines and designated Class 29, again working on the Scottish Region.

I think the Warship cab you're looking for was withdrawn but is still available on the MSTS Paddington to Penzance CD. However, since D800 Warship cabs differed significantly from the D61xx or D63xx cabs, I wouldn't worry too much. In fact, I can't think of any available MSTS cab that looks similar to the real thing.

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Quad Core, Gigabyte Gaming Motherboard, 2 x 512Gb SSDs + 1TB SATA drives,
16 Gb DDR-4 Corsair RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6Gb RAM, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 64 bit
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
There is this in the library, which has a sort of cobbled up cabview, which may, or may not, be suitable! :
 Click to view more informationClass D63xx Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive [5397683 bytes] - D6320.zip
File ID: 16153 Date: 18 Feb 2007 - 1320 Downloads

If, however, you want a Warship cabview, a version (not called warship.cvf) is available in this pack :
 Click to view more informationWarship Collection [67626202 bytes] - mswar_files.zip
File ID: 16762 Date: 01 Jun 2007 - 1899 Downloads

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Post by ashgray »

Well remembered Ged - I'd forgotten about that one! :D

It's old but more accurate than any available "photo-based" one. I think Jon Bilton may have done a more recent one but I can't find it in the library.

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Quad Core, Gigabyte Gaming Motherboard, 2 x 512Gb SSDs + 1TB SATA drives,
16 Gb DDR-4 Corsair RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6Gb RAM, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 64 bit
ianmacmillan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by ianmacmillan »

As said, Class 22 never ran in Scotland. Nor did J27.
Use a J37 for goods

A class 21 is available.

Click to view more informationBR North British Type 2 (Class 21) D6151 [698080 bytes] - D6151.zip
File ID: 7723 Date: 12 Mar 2004 - 2103 Downloads

Peckett industrials were not allowed on the main line and were confined to colliery shunting.
[album 80489 WWCo.jpg]
If it's got buffers it's Chain.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Gentlemen,
File 7723 doesn't include a cabview - it supplies 3 cvf files to use gp38, warship or the one from D800, as supplied in file ID 16762.

I have Jon Bilton's cabview, but I believe it was only available on his website. The cvf is called Class41.cvf; an rv version is also included. Currently, I'm unable to find the address to check if it's still available :(

Cheers,
Ged

EDIT : Searching through my archives, I found Jon's website address, and the cabview is still available! - http://www.bilton01.webspace.virginmedia.com/41cab.zip :)
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
hertford
Established Forum Member

Post by hertford »

ashgray wrote:Hi Hertford

Class 22 diesel hydraulic locos were introduced in 1959, manufactured by the ill-fated North British Locomotive company, and had numbers in the D63xx range (D6732 would be a Class 37). Like the other diesel hydraulics, they were used exclusively on the Western Region of BR.
Ash
Ooops! I keep doing that... I meant D6327.
Well... it seems now I have a choice of keeping D6327 in an entirely fictional role (along with the J27s 65893, 65894 and 65896 (latter is included on the CD) in the activity. After all, sometimes the entirely fictional activities work best.
Heh, I remember years ago I proposed an activity taking some empty vans down to London with 03179 from Peterborough... until I realized such an activity would take 5 hours to complete. It's only a pity I didn't develop it further as it looked it might have been popular.

Anyways back to the topic, I'll give it some thought about changing the loco to the Class 21 D6151 and swapping the J27s out almost entirely... but I do like how it looks now. Also I seem to have got the Dunfermline Junction signal to behave itself again, so no problems there. I suppose I could do an alternate 'reality' version if there is interest using a Cl. 21 instead of Cl. 22.
Then again... Cl. 21, 22 and 29 all looked alike, didn't they? One could simply renumber a Class 22 as a Class 21. That's going a bit over the top I guess but it could be done.

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”