How to change the player's train

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

jcerezo
Getting the hang of things now

How to change the player's train

Post by jcerezo »

Hi,

How can I change the player's train in an activity?

I've read a tutorial that explains how to do this with the Activity Editor, the problem is that I can't use it because I have an AMD graphics card and Windows 8. (I use Open Rails)

Regards,

Jorge
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Re: How to change the player's train

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Jorge,
You can manually edit the consist file, using a Unicode-aware editor. In Win 8, NotePad is suitable.
If you need more information, please come back, giving the route and activity you wish to run and loco you want to replace the existing Player loco :)
Note that changing the motive power may change the way the activity runs.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
jcerezo

Post by jcerezo »

Hi Ged,

Finally I was able to change the player's train for the Home Stretch activity from the Settle & Carlisle route. I edited the file homestre.srv and replaced the Class 50 with a Class 47 consist.
The activity seems to work fine, the only problem is that I can't arrive on time because the Class 47 has a correct hp value.

Regards,

Jorge
scampispeedway
Very Active Forum Member

Post by scampispeedway »

Hi Jorge, when you change the players consist, there is a good chance that it will not run as the author intended and
not be able to keep to the timetable.
Looking at the Consist in question it had a Class 50 loco and 8 coaches so unless you use something that is the same
length overall you could also end up with collision problems with any AI traffic.
As you haven't told us of the consist you changed it too, we cannot help you but for a start why not just change the loco
to a Class 47 and leave the coaches alone.
Looking at the power figures of a Class 47, I found differing power figures and some were poorer than the Class 50 and
so would not keep up to timetable.

Bob
jcerezo

Post by jcerezo »

Hi Bob,

I'm using the same consist as the default activity, I just replaced the Class 50 with a Class 47.

The power figures I have are: 2700 hp for the default Class 50 and 2400 hp for the Class 47. People recommend using the power at rail value for MaxPower, so one should use 2070 hp and 2080 hp for the Class 50 and Class 47 respectively.
Those power at rail values are very low in my opinion, I'm sure they include the power used by the electric train heat.

Regards,

Jorge

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”