Activity Editor won't load SVR route

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

beresford
Been on the forums for a while

Activity Editor won't load SVR route

Post by beresford »

I am trying to use the Activity Editor to inspect an activity on the SVR route. When I open the route I get some error messages about 'out of date'. If I manage to fix them, the Editor then crashes. It seems to load the other routes OK. I have tried deleting and reloading SVR1, and repairing MSTS. Is there some registry malarkey I need to do, or is it possible that one of my other non-MSTS loaded routes interferes (Tehachapi, Berlin-Stettin, Blackpool tramway, Somerset & Dorset)?
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Activity Editor won't load SVR route

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi beresford,
It's unlikely that your other routes will affect the activities of the SVR route, but I don't understand the phrase "one of my other non-MSTS loaded routes"! If they are really not MSTS routes, they definitely won't affect anything in MSTS.
If you get an "out of date" message, load the act into the Activity Editor and Save it straight away; then try to load the activity again - it may be better to quit AE then restart it. I think you'll get this message after applying the update, because one or more activities have been changed. Of course, you may have changed one of the activities yourself!!

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
beresford

Post by beresford »

What I meant by non-MSTS is that they are not the core routes provided with the game.

To re-iterate, I uninstall SVR1 then manually delete any directories that are left. I then reload it. Obviously if I delete SVR1 and reload it then you wouldn't expect anything to be out of date or any Activities altered. That is what made me think of the registry keys. There is also the possibility that my SVR1 CD is life-expired I suppose, these things don't last forever.
brace2011

Post by brace2011 »

Hi

It might help us to help you if you could be absolutely specific about the 'out of date' messages. What exactly do they say? When exactly do they appear?

You also say "If I manage to fix them, the Editor then crashes". How do you fix them? What do you do? When precisely does the Editor crash?

I might add that SVR (which I have only just installed) behaves perfectly for me.

Martin
beresford

Post by beresford »

The messages are of the form 'Service Rescue Ranger is out of date', as in this thread: http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... 2&t=132256

I cannot save it as recommended because the AE then crashes (Microsoft 'Tell Bill' error message').

On one occasion I got rid of the messages by opening another route then opening the SVR1 route, at which point I saved it. When I next tried to load SVR1 into the AE, it just crashed without the 'out of date' message.

On another occasion I completely deleted SVR1 then reinstalled it. The 'out of date' came up but I was able to save it and then SVR1 would load. I then defragged the disk partition and thereafter the AE crashed when I tried to load SVR1.

It used to behave perfectly for me as well.
brace2011

Post by brace2011 »

Until you wrote that I had completely forgotten the SVR Update from Just Trains

here: http://www.justtrains.net/supportfaq/se ... ey-railway

This should fix it
scampispeedway
Very Active Forum Member

Post by scampispeedway »

Hi Beresford, when getting out of date errors does this occur after selecting the Route and then choosing an Activity, because I
saw this message when starting out in MSTS and read how to cure this fault.
You need to go into Activity Editor and o.k. the error messages and save the Activity and so when I go back into either MSTS or use
the Activity Editor again the error messages are gone.
I've never had it happen when just selecting the Route and so cannot advise you on getting round that message.

Bob
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi beresford,
Out of interest, What Operating System are you running? If it's not XP, have you installed MSTS outside of the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders?

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
beresford

Post by beresford »

i am running XP with 4 GB memory fitted and a 0.5GB graphics card (so I have about 3.3GB of RAM 'available). I have Avast free antivirus.

Here is what happened in an attempt I have just made. Run Activity Editor, select 'Blackpool Tramway', select an activity. Route comes up as expected. Select SVR1, select an activity. Black square superimposed over Blackpool Tramway route, whirring from hard disk, 'Microsoft Train Simulator has encountered an error and needs to shut down' message appears.

One part of the story I didn't include is before the problems started I ran 'Route Riter' on SVR1 on advice of another forum member after some scenarios didn't run properly usung Open Rails, and I let it modify some SVR1 files. But since then I have deleted SVR1 twice and re-installed it. What I am trying to avoid is scrubbing off all MSTS stuff and starting again, less painful for me than for some of you because I haven't created items, but still a lot of time. But what is required to REALLY delete MSTS and its routes? (and don't say re-format).
gswindale
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gswindale »

Hi,

What happens if you open up the Activity Editor and select New, SVR straight away - does it still crash? If so; what have you got selected in the "view" menu? Try opening the activity editor on a default route and deselect everything from the view menu.

Now try either opening an SVR or creating an activity for that route - does it still crash?
Geoffrey Swindale.
Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
beresford

Post by beresford »

What happens if you open up the Activity Editor and select New, SVR straight away - does it still crash?
it didn't crash.
Try opening the activity editor on a default route and deselect everything from the view menu. Now try either opening an SVR or creating an activity for that route - does it still crash?
Tried opening an existing activity. it didn't crash.
gswindale
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gswindale »

OK

So opening up the Activity Editor and starting with the SVR route is fine?

So it seems that the issue is if you load an activity for another route first then?
Geoffrey Swindale.
Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
beresford

Post by beresford »

No, it WASN'T fine. But now I have found something that does work AND allows me to turn on all the stuff in 'View'. Switching to 16-bit colour seems to make all well.

Somewhere else I read somebody saying that it was essential for the AE and somebody else saying it didn't make any difference. Presumably it is something to do with what OS you are running (XP) and how big your graphics card is (500Gb). Now, I wonder if Open Rails crashes less in 16-bits colour.........

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”