End point problem

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

End point problem

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi chaps,
I am trying to create an activity & have a problem.
My start point for a light engine is in position A. I drive light engine along line past points to reverse points inserted. Switch ends & drive into siding over switched points & all is fine. I offer loco up against rolling stock, couple up & switch ends ready to depart with train. Why is it the green line on map in editor only goes as far as reverse point symbol? I cannot seem to find a way of picking up a train of wagons & proceeding to an end point further down the line! Probably me being stupid but I'm a newcomer & at the moment struggling to create activities involving shunting in sidings...

Any help would be great.

Thanks..

Stef
The future's bright! The future's Open Rails! :)

Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System, AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 Motherboard
8GB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (1GB), Realtek High Definition Audio
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Re: End point problem

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Stef,

Two things come to mind: - 1 is the reverse point too close to the last set of points you crossed? When coupling to wagons this should, ideally, within the area covered by the loose consist
2 Can you see the End Point marker?

Hope this helps,

Stephen
stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your reply.
What I am wondering is maybe my reverse point marker is the wrong side of the points. I have added it after the point that want to switch & double back on. Does the marker have to be on the side of the point before it is crossed over? I.e I would then pass the reverse point symbol, cross the point & then double back on myself through the now switched point into the siding & connect to consist. Will the green line then extend further along the route?
Sorry to be long winded but it's a bit tricky especially as I'm at work & not at my PC.
Thanks anyway.

Stef

Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System, AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 Motherboard
cambrian06
Been on the forums for a while

Post by cambrian06 »

Hi Stef,

As you can reverse onto your loose consist your first reverse point must be OK, what you don't mention in your post is a second reverse point on the line that the loose consist is on, do you have a reverse point on the line the loose consist is on?

regards

Andy.
stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi Andy,
i think this way may be easier for me to explain, thanks for bearing with me!

All i am trying to achieve is drive the light engine from A past the points & reverse into the sidings at C & then drive the consist from C to a final End point at B.

You can see where i have inserted the reverse points.

I have tried to find info on this on the net but i was unable to find an answer.

Maybe just me being an idiot! :roll:

Thanks...

Stef
Attachments
Image1.jpg

stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Stef,

Your reverse point is the right side of the points as Andy said. This way you stay on your path. If it's not you run the risk of the points changing when coming back again and either derailing the train or sending you the wrong way.

Sorry if I'm butting in on your reply to Andy but having just seen your diagram, I'll add my thoughts anyway. If you have marked C where the consist is then the consist is definitely too close to the points and your reverse point is also in the wrong place. Putting a consist at point 2 also very risky.

Regards,

Stephen
cambrian06

Post by cambrian06 »

HI Stef,

Try moving the second reverse point onto the siding that the loose consist is standing on, i.e. after the last point you are going to cross.

Regards,

Andy.
stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi Stephen,
what would you reccommend in this diagram for it to work only i have tried all sorts & nothing works!

I drive from A fine, past the points, swap ends & drive into the sidings on the correctly reversed points.

I moved the consist at C further along the siding & couple up fine.

I swap ends again & drive forward back towards point 2.

Point 2 has not switched & i am unable to rejoin the original line & go straight on!

Is the error in where i have positioned the reverse point on 2 only this is the point i cant get to switch!

Thanks...

Stef

stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

P.S - the area in the map is the EB GWR route at the west end of Acton Yard.

cambrian06

Post by cambrian06 »

Hi Stef,

So am I right in thinking that after you have collected your train, you drive forward but point 2 is set to switch you to the other track, rather than the path you have originally reversed down. In that case the point is set in it's default position and you need to go into path editor and and change the path at that point. (right click on point and "take other path")

Regards,
Andy.
stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi Andy,
what i am trying to do is collect the consist from the siding & take the train back onto the same line i was originally on (yes, drive back down the route i reversed up).

I just watched point 2 reset itself after i drove over it but every time i add a reverse point near it, it will not open!

Maybe i should try this on another route out of interest!

Thanks...

Stef

NiallGray
Very Active Forum Member

Post by NiallGray »

stefcurtis wrote:P.S - the area in the map is the EB GWR route at the west end of Acton Yard.
I had problems with Acton Yard when I made some activities a while back. The layout didn't seem right and I had issues setting up the paths. In the end I scrapped the act.
The Class 303/311 pack - 26 EMUs for MSTS/OR covering every era of these iconic Clyde-based units. From Caley Blue to Carmine and Cream!
Available now on UKTS - File 34622
stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi Niall,
interesting that someone else has had issues with Acton Yard!

Even when i was simply exploring there i had no end of problems with points not activating when pressing the 'G' key etc...

I should of known better than to start off with some shunting activities (that i am new to) there!

Anyway, i have binned shunting in Acton & have progressed to Peak Forest & achived what i wanted with only a fraction of the agro i had at Acton!

One thing i did learn is that when pulling a consist, the reverse point symbol needs to be set further away from the points than when it is a light engine only.

That's the way it seemed to me anyway.

Cheers..

Stef

slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Stef,
There are many on this Forum with much more knowledge than I have, but if you put the second RP anywhere under the loose consist, it will trigger when the loco couples to it.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi stef,

Sorry to see that with all the help offered you were unable to complete your shunting through no fault of your own. Sometimes the way a route is constructed throws up unexpected problems. When this happens you just shrug your shoulders, admit defeat and try something different. It's happened to me several times when constructing activities. To look on the bright side you have learned a lot from this, asked questions and had good advice from others which is what the forums are all about. Keep trying and when an activity works the way you intended it is very satisfying.

Glad to have been of some help,

Stephen

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”