AI loco (not) disappearing?

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

brace2011
Been on the forums for a while

AI loco (not) disappearing?

Post by brace2011 »

What am I trying to do? My player loco is light engine. An AI train comprising a shunter and the stock for my train enters the departure platform (a terminus station) and waits. I manoeuvre my loco to couple up to the (back of the) newly-arrived AI stock, and uncouple the shunter. When I get the 'right away' I can continue the activity with my stock, leaving the shunter waiting near the buffers. So far so good, and all this works as intended.

However, my activity is an 'out and back', so I want the shunter to disappear (after a suitable pause so its disappearance is out of sight) so that when I return to the station the shunter is no longer there. I have tried a wait point before the end of the AI path - no good. I have also tried defining the AI path via a reversing point to move the shunter somewhere else after the waiting period - no good either. In neither case does the shunter move to the end of path (and so disappear) or to the reversing point respectively.

I am inclined to think that, once I have removed my carriages from the AI train, not only have I 'broken' the AI consist but also the AI path so no further pathing instructions are recognised. I have even tried messing with things like the 'EndInWorld' parameter in the *.srv file.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether MSTS is capable of such manoeuvres, or whether there is some sort of workaround that will 'fool' MSTS into behaving as I wish.

All ideas gratefully considered.

Martin
NiallGray
Very Active Forum Member

Re: AI loco (not) disappearing?

Post by NiallGray »

I have no idea but if you find a workable solution I'd be interested in finding out how it's done.
The Class 303/311 pack - 26 EMUs for MSTS/OR covering every era of these iconic Clyde-based units. From Caley Blue to Carmine and Cream!
Available now on UKTS - File 34622
DarwinS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by DarwinS »

I have a feeling that it will not be possible in MSTS. (Although it would be nice to be proved wrong.)

Things seem to lock at any time when player and AI paths cross.
Regards

Darwin
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Martin,
I think the problem is that when you coupled to the coaches, the shunter lost its AI status and became a loose consist.
I remember trying something similar a year or so ago, when I wanted my shunter to move after the Player had gone!

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
brace2011

Post by brace2011 »

Hi Ged

Was out walking my dog last night and came to the same conclusion - the shunter becomes a loose consist.

So, I am trying to program another AI loco (with efficiency set so as to limit speed to about 2mph) to come in and hook it out after my player train has departed. Haven't managed to get the reversing point quite right yet (the shunter's position is variable, according to how hard my player loco coupled up), and I have a feeling that even if I get that right the new AI loco may become yet another loose consist after coupling up to the shunter (it depends whether it was the coupling up or the uncoupling that turned the stock AI consist into a loose consist - or perhaps both events have the same effect).

I'll keep at it for a while, but I'm beginning to think I may need a completely new 'Plan B'.

Martin
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Martin,

I've tried coupling an ai loco to a loose consist and couldn't make it work, so if you do I'll be very interested to know how you did it. I have, however, stopped an ai loco in front of a loose consist, then coupled the player loco to the ai and straight onto the loose consist. It is even better when you wait for the ai to arrive rather than it already be there when you arrive. Remember when doing these manoeuvres you cannot pass a signal - MSTS won't allow it.

Regards,

Stephen
brace2011

Post by brace2011 »

Well, sending in an AI 'Thunderbird' doesn't work. The new AI does indeed become a loose consist on coupling up.

So, I amended the original stock consist to disappear (from the player loco I can see this consist arriving, and I can see its final waiting point but, if necessary, I can program a player loco manoeuvre so as to put its disappearance out of sight) and created 2 new AI services, one consisting of just the train carriages and the other being just the shunter, to appear so that I can give full AI control to the shunter.

Creating the carriage only service I got all the right 'noises' from AE - ie. 'You haven't got proper engine so won't be able to drive' and 'You haven't got an engine at all so it won't be able to move'. OK on both counts. But, in game, when the carriage only service appears TrainSim closes down with the '... We are looking for a solution' report.

So it looks like I do need a Plan B.

Martin
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Martin,

To make the carriages work as an ai consist you will need an invisible engine coupled to the carriages. With the player loco in the right position it should be possible to see the carriages entering the platform and not realise that there isn't an engine on the front. It might then be possible to have the shunter appear before it comes into your field of view - not knowing the station I am only guessing. With careful positioning and timing it should then be possible for the shunter to disappear again long before you return.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful,

Stephen
brace2011

Post by brace2011 »

Thanks Stephen

I had come to the same conclusion myself. But given the station layout I would see the shunter on the original consist as it first appears, so would need to make this consist disappear, and have another, with no shunter but with an invis engine, appear seconds later.

But would rather not use an invisible engine if possible. Even if I do, I would probably need to make my own - wouldn't want it more than, say, 1cm long and it needn't have much power. It would be only so I can place a service in game - it wouldn't need to move anywhere under its own power.

Martin
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Martin,

There are various invisible engines available which might simplify things for you - there is no problem in modifying any of these providing it is for yourself only. You could try
 Click to view more informationInvisible Wagon [21230 bytes] - Invisiwag.zip
File ID: 7920 Date: 04 Feb 2012 - 1856 Downloads

Regards,

Stephen
brace2011

Post by brace2011 »

Think I've now reached the conclusion that it can't be done ...

... except through the use of 'smoke and mirrors' with multiple AI services and loose consists, and that will depend on the particular track layout.

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”