AI loco's

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

AI loco's

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi chaps,
I have recently started creating an activity & have a question.

In my activity I have been able to create quite a few traffic trains but done so using normal non ai loco's which was surprising.

I thought they had to be AI in order to work??????
What benefits does an AI loco have over a standard one?

Can someone please enlighten me as it's a mystery!

Thank you....

Stef
The future's bright! The future's Open Rails! :)

Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System, AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 Motherboard
8GB DDR RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (1GB), Realtek High Definition Audio
Rockdoc2174
Very Active Forum Member

Re: AI loco's

Post by Rockdoc2174 »

Most locos can be used for players as well as for AI but some can't be. When modellers use what has come to be called advanced scripting the locos no longer adhere to conventional protocols so there is no guarantee they will work as AI. In such cases, there will be versions marked something like [ADV], that should only be used for players, and [STD], that use conventional scripting and can be used for either.

Keith
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Stef,
As you've found out, you can use any locos in traffic trains!
The advantage of using specific AI locos is reduced resource usage. That is, they don't have cabviews and, therefore, less sounds demands.
There may be other advantages, but I'll leave it for more experienced users to add their comments!

Regarding Keith's comments - I don't know what he's on about !!! As far as I know, there's no scripting in MSTS - maybe he's a TS2013/4 user??

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

Thanks Ged (as always). That makes sense. The previous post lost me a bit! :)

So... A traffic train will have noise and smoke but no headlights whereas a static consist loco will not. Is this right?

Thanks...

Stef

Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System, AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 Motherboard
Rockdoc2174
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Rockdoc2174 »

Sorry, chaps, I missed the MSTS tag. Ignore me and I'll go away!!

Keith
stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

No worries Keith, you meant well! Cheers anyway. :)

slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Stef,
I'm not sure about the lights on traffic trains - I'll leave it to those with more knowledge to answer that one!

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
rufuskins
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rufuskins »

Lights can be set up for Player, AI and DIT engines. A Steam4me tutorial looks at AI lighting.

Alec
Working on exMT Thumper Project.
NiallGray
Very Active Forum Member

Post by NiallGray »

For me, it was always due to resources. You couldn't drive an AI train so no need to have a cab line in the .eng file which then needs to be loaded.
The Class 303/311 pack - 26 EMUs for MSTS/OR covering every era of these iconic Clyde-based units. From Caley Blue to Carmine and Cream!
Available now on UKTS - File 34622
stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi All,

Although any loco can be used as an ai, MSTS treats ai steam locos differently than driveable ones so ai versions should always be used in ai consists. This is why model makers always include steam ai versions. As Niall said it also puts less strain on resources. As far as I know it makes no difference whether ai diesel or electric locos are used or not.

Regards,

Stephen
rufuskins
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rufuskins »

For further information on lighting definition refer to the Technical Documents on the MSTS Disc(s) called "How_To_Specify_Lights" and is for once a not unreasonable document. It gives all of the different factors including for AI and DIT.
Working on exMT Thumper Project.
stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi Lads,
thanks for all the info, food for thought eh!

I appreciate your help.

Thanks..

Stef :D

stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

I finished my activity eventually but experienced the screen freezing for 30+ seconds once en-route. The sound carried on as normal but the screen froze (went back to normal shortly after). I have 12 AI consists ( non AI loco's) running at various times as well as many static consists along the way. I guess the screen freezing would be due to overload of the system & if so do you think it would be due to AI or static consists or a combination of both.

Thanks....

Stef

P.s - is it worth placing end points on the AI paths & running the consists only where needed as at the moment I have only a start point on my AI traffic paths.

stephenrwells
Established Forum Member

Post by stephenrwells »

Hi Stef,

Your low frame rates are a combination of ai traffic and static consists.
It is definitely worth only running ai services where they are seen - this will certainly improve frame rates and, therefore, performance. This also why I tend to use ai services as static consists whenever possible.. If you only use Open Rails then normal static consists aren't a problem. As stated in earlier posts using ai locos instead of driveable ones will also place less strain on the system.

Keep persevering - getting an activity to run properly is very satisfying.

Regards,

Stephen
stefcurtis
Established Forum Member

Post by stefcurtis »

Hi Stephen,
thanks for your advice.

I have just finished tweaking things & i have succeeded!

Ending the AI train paths worked & i also changed the start/ finish times of some of the AI trains to balance things out (a steady stream of AI rather than everything coming at once!)

It may be a simple run from Acton to Slough but you gotta start somewhere eh!

Thanks...

Stef :D :D :D

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”