Need help with location events

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

aniceguy
Been on the forums for a while

Need help with location events

Post by aniceguy »

Hi all,

I need some help understanding how exactly MSTS location events work exactly in regard to resources due to a large activity I'm currently doing.

Firstly the activity in brief; using the East Coast Express by Europeanbahn (plus some stock downloads from UKTS community) you take a 9am HST service from Kings Cross to York via Leeds; stopping at all major stations along the route. I have three message pop-ups:

1) Appears just before Welwyn North where there is a class 365 ahead of you (driving the HST) explaining the situation that the 365 is to divert onto the slower line
2) Appears at just before Stevenage giving precise instructions on how to take advantage on using the hst braking system due to being late
3) Appears just after Wakefield Westgate where there is a class 158 service in front of your hst describing that it will divert onto the Huddersfield line so you can approach into Leeds fast

Question:

How exactly does the location events work in terms of resources?

By this I mean will MSTS use more or less resources if I set the three location events up as:

1) When the activity starts I have location0 activation level set to 1, and the others are set to 0.
2) When location event 0 is passed, the outcomes are the message is displayed and activation level for location1 is increased by one to activate it
3) When location1 is passed, its outcomes are that it displays the next message and also activates location2

COMPARED WITH:

1) When the activity starts I have location0 activation level set to 1, and the others are set to 0.

2) When location event 0 is passed, the outcomes are ...
a. the message is displayed
b. activation level for location1 is increased by one to activate it ... and ...
c. activation level for location0 is decreased by one to deactivate it

3) When location1 is passed, its outcomes are ...
a. the message is displayed
b. activation level for location2 is increased by one to activate it ... and ...
c. activation level for location1 is decreased by one to deactivate it

================================================================================================================================================

When each location event is passed; after the message is displayed, does this event deactivate itself as an outcome automatically?

i.e. Will I save resources if I also set a location"x" events outcome as "decrease location 'x' by one level" to deactivate it or will this increase the amount of resources MSTS will use?

I hope you all understand what I'm trying to ask as it's complex to ask correctly :oops:

Thanks in advance,
My FS & MSTS Projects are now available (click on my signature image)

SDtrains
Well Established Forum Member

Re: Need help with location events

Post by SDtrains »

HI,

I am a bit mystifyed by the perspective on 'MSTS resources' used in this context. I can't see that what you are trying to achieve will use any major resource ie create loads of extra memory space or
tax the MSTS 'logic machine', which does not work perfectly.

The best way to overcome these issues is to test it yourself to see whether or not it works, and try not to faddle your brain with unforseen or unfathomable issues!

Look forward to seeing it when it's finished.

Regards
Actions speak louder than words, but gossip spreads fast!
aniceguy

Post by aniceguy »

Thank you :)

Not a hard answer but your words are true wisdom :D

It works but find that after 4 msgs added it crashes. 3 msgs works but with reduced graphics. 2 I haven't tried but would suspect would alllow me to increase graphic settings.

SDtrains
Well Established Forum Member

Post by SDtrains »

Hi,

It's just worth thinking about the resources which your machine has to run the game. If your machine is generously spec'd, then it's possible that something else running is gobbling up all your system resource. I have read that Google Chrome is something of a culprit in this department. Otherwise, it's time to think seroiusly about the integrity of your installation, it could be MSTS itself, or it could be some other windows component. If strange things such as the situation you have described are happening, then something in the Windows environment is probably failing for some reason.
First port of call, do a hard disc check. Certainly, things should be running better than this.

Regards
Actions speak louder than words, but gossip spreads fast!
gswindale
Very Active Forum Member

Post by gswindale »

One other point I would add is:

Is the location of the location event having any impact? i.e. if you take one out & things work better; what happens if you put back the one you've removed & try taking out another?

I'm wondering if it is somehow linked to the amount of objects on a tile & the total resources being used at any given point in time.

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe that "pop-ups" such as these are treated in a similar manner to sounds by the sim; so it may be worth tweaking the sound settings rather than the graphics?
Geoffrey Swindale.
Truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
aniceguy

Post by aniceguy »

The activity is a 2 hour and 30 minute activity with 50 odd AI trains, plus other static consists. Have already tweaked the settings including the sound settings. I know my OS isn't stable at the moment so that maybe an issue. Will leave the activity with three messages for now. Just was wondering if it was best having each location event decrease the last locations activity level?

Thanks again for the aid. Pete 8)

systema
Very Active Forum Member

Post by systema »

You have a very busy activity. Try saving about half way through, exiting MSTS and restart the activity. This will help prevent memory overload.

Mick Clarke
MEP
Heading North and East
[album 86570 OR_Supporter_Logo_Red.jpg]

Return to “[MSTS1] Activity Creation”