No indefinate threads on the Screenshots Forum.

Screenshots of MSTS and assorted related tools in action!

Moderator: Moderators

johndibben
Bletchley Park:home of first programmable computer

No indefinate threads on the Screenshots Forum.

Post by johndibben »

It has been decided that the Screenshots Forum was looking like Planned creations which was abolished under the forum reorganisation.

To bring it back to it's original purpose, it is requested that screenshots of Planned Projects are posted, with links, as desired, to a discussion thread wherever the discussion is most appropriate.

Obviously, some reaction is not only welcomed but encouraged but further questions or discussion is to be posted elsewhere.

Further screenshots are to be posted in a new thread.

It was felt a number of indefinate threads pushed the occaisional screenshot down the page far too quickly and this method will give all members equal prominance.

More threads and linking to a discission will allow even more exposure and so I would imaging this step will be welcomed :)

Thank you,

John
LucaZone
vCTRL Developer

Post by LucaZone »

i struggled to get my head around that one. Do u mean:

Too many threads were being started showing WIP stuff and ensuing discussions and related threads have begun to push actual screenshot threads down the page to quickly. Resulting in this forum loosing its direction as to what should and shouldnt be posted in here.

Thus from now on, only screenshot threads can be posted, with any related discussion to be held else where in the appropriate forum sections.
. . : :Simulating the UK's first dedicated high speed line for MSTS: : . .
Backfoot2002
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Backfoot2002 »

I also struggled to understand this, but seen as though no one repled to it, I thought it may just be me. I post in here quite often, but each time i do post its either commeting on a screenshot/s or posting screenshots of something ive done. So im guessing im in the right, but im not toally sure?:-?
[album 70528 acm_paintworks_sig.jpg]
| Intel Core i5 2500K (Overclocked to 4.0Ghz) | Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Memory | ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB |120GB OCZ SSD (OS & RW) | 2x1TB 7200rpm HDD (Storage) |
NeutronIC
Atomic Systems Team
Atomic Systems Team

Post by NeutronIC »

It's just because you get one screenshot post, followed by 300 pages of discussion about the route and we're trying to curtail that without having to impose a restriction that says no posts that don't have screenshots. No problem with replying to a post but if it gets beyond a few posts then why not make your post elsewhere - it'll attract others to come look at the screenshot topic as well too.

Matt.
fromthesticks
Been on the forums for a while

Post by fromthesticks »

Can anyone give me advice on how to post up screenshots on this fourm.
PaulH2
Very Active Forum Member

Post by PaulH2 »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was having trouble getting their head around this!

So, lets see if I'm getting the idea. What you're requesting is that the screenshots forum is basically only used to show screenshots, not for discussion (well only for brief discussion). For example, the Stoke Division 1969 thread would be better in the MSTS Route Building forum and my Class 202 "Hastings Diesel" DEMU Progress thread would be better in the Rolling Stock Creation forum?

I can kind of see the point of that, but there also seems to be the inference that the screenshots should be posted here and the discussion elsewhere. That seems to be a very disjointed approach to me, particularly where WIP threads are concerned (particularly when those type of threads are in the majority here). A quick scan down the page now shows that the majority of threads are in double figures when it comes to replys with several in three figures.

I'm afraid I can't see the benefit of splitting the discussions and screenshots, or am I missing something :-? ? The discussion refers to the screenshots, so having the two separated seems like a good way of making the discussion / feedback process more confusing (and time consuming).

Just my 2p...

Paul
Bringing Merseyrail 1980 back to life, slowly...

ianmacmillan
Very Active Forum Member

Post by ianmacmillan »

Remember that most people are using dial-up.

It takes a long time to load the screenshots and they will probably not bother to do it each time someone makes a post.

. . even if its an interesting one.
saddletank
Very Active Forum Member

Post by saddletank »

The issue is a historical one and follows from friction on these forums some months back. The decision was not taken lightly and there is genuine and good reason for it, you will either just have to trust Matt on why this rule is as it is or dip into the 'Old Deleted Forums' section and have a search about in there.

Basically if you post up some screenies of, say, a route or a new model and the discussion starts to extend from not only helpful input from users about the screenshots but into a tech discussion on aspects of route building or model making then the thread should more correctly then live in either the route building or rolling stock forums and one of the Moderator Team will then move it there.

It isn't a case of splitting the screenshots up from the discussion that follows on from them but of shifting the whole thread.
Martin

Post by PaulH2 »

saddletank wrote:It isn't a case of splitting the screenshots up from the discussion that follows on from them but of shifting the whole thread.
Ah ha. Well that makes perfect sense. I was just a bit worried discussions were going to end up fragmented. Thanks for the clarification Martin.

One further issue: as mentioned, most users are on dialup (I'm fortunate enough to have a very sprightly broadband cable modem) and as I remember, one of the original purposes of the screenshots forum was to keep the majority of screenshots together so that users with slower connections knew what to expect. When threads containing large numbers of screenshots are moved to other forums, there is currently no way for dialup users to know whether a thread contains a lot of images or not. Would it be possible for the moderators to perhaps add a warning to the name of the thread when they are moved (as is the practice on some other forums)?

Paul
Bringing Merseyrail 1980 back to life, slowly...

RedTez
Established Forum Member

Post by RedTez »

Hi ALL

Nope, it's no good, you've completely lost me. Sorry, but there you go. Is it alright to just post screen shots for screen shots sake, like i thought someone might like to see how great my all time fave game looks on my fave routes, driving my fave trains, in my fave activities with my fave settings?? Or has it got to be within a topic about something i made or am making or someone else made or is making, or is making it nothing to do with it??

Best regards ALL

PS. Currently sober, un-stoned, straight and completely confused.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
saddletank
Very Active Forum Member

Post by saddletank »

Yes, it is fine to post screenshots for just screenshots' sake.
Martin
Very Active Forum Member

Re:

Post by steamnut44 »

ianmacmillan wrote:Remember that most people are using dial-up.

It takes a long time to load the screenshots and they will probably not bother to do it each time someone makes a post.

. . even if its an interesting one.
I'm still on steam, driven by a gas fired boiler. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Geoff
Owner of The First Steam Powered Computer by James Watt
Creator of The Blackpool Illuminations for The Blackpool Tram Route
Joint Author of the SCOTTISH CENTRAL PLUS ROUTE
Presently TAKING A BREAK!
stephenholmes
Very Active Forum Member

Re: No indefinate threads on the Screenshots Forum.

Post by stephenholmes »

fromthesticks wrote:Can anyone give me advice on how to post up screenshots on this fourm.
Hi the easiest way is to use the atomic album and upload a picture to that
Then from there you just use the various text shown at the bottom to link the screen to your post
I press the printscreen key then go to paint and select edit then copy
Then once the screen is loaded in paint I then save the image on my pc
Then I upload it to atomic album
I'm sure other members will also advise further about this
Especially if you don't have premium access
There are free photo albums available, however if you use these it is important to stay within the forum guide rules
about image size
I hope this helps
Kind regards Stephen
champy
Very Active Forum Member

Post by champy »

Man thats some bump?? that post was 5 years ago!!
Me and and My shadow..........
stephenholmes
Very Active Forum Member

Post by stephenholmes »

Hi Champy
I didn't notice the date
Yes it is some bump .....crash bang wallop
Kind regards Stephen

Return to “[MSTS1] Screenshots”