Guide to posting Screenshots

Screenshots of MSTS and assorted related tools in action!

Moderator: Moderators

TomB
Well Established Forum Member

Guide to posting Screenshots

Post by TomB »

Posting of screenshots

It frequently comes up as a question in this forum "How can I make screenshots?".

Using Microsoft Train Sim, all you need to do whilst in the game is press the Print Scrn key (second cluster above the arrow keys usually). At the end of your game session, open your Train Sim folder (usually C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator) - in there you'll find a load of PCX files.

"What the heck is a PCX file? I deal with GIFS and JPEGs, not PCX!" I hear you cry. Most versions of Windows Paint won't agree with PCX files, so download an image editor such as Irfan View (http://www.irfanview.com). Ensure that when you install your application, you choose PCX as an associated file format (there should be a box, with formats to chooose from). Once installed, go into your Train Sim folder, and doubleclick your PCX file. If all has gone well, you should now have it open in Irfan View. Choose File > Save As, select somewhere to save it, make sure the filetype is JPG, hit SAVE and then voila! You have one saved JPG screenshot!

NB you can use the same technique to take screenshots of any other application, but the image will be copied to the clipboard for you to then paste - only MSTS will save each screeny for you.

You can upload it either to your own webspace (your ISP should give you a few megabytes bundled with your package), a photo hosting site such as fotopic.net or imageshack or if you are a premium member then the Atomic Album facility is provided.
Last edited by TomB on Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
petermakosch
The Midland Mainline Man

Post by petermakosch »

Just as a point, if its to be a sticky, you may wish to re-arange the words to a bit more user friendly:

When in MSTS press the PrtSc (Or Print Screen Button) usually above the arrow keys at the very top.

When you have finished in MSTS then look in the Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/ folder and you should see some PSX files (Or ones that look like paint). MS Paint will not like PSX files, but most Operating Systems come with another Image Viewer If you cannot open it, then try Dragging and Dropping into MS Paint, or download another Image Viewer like Paint Shop Pro (http://www.jasc.com/) or Irfan View (http://www.irfanview.com).
When the file is open, save it as a JPEG or JPG (They are both the same thing), because that format is much smaller than BMP's.

If you are a Premium Member here on UKTRAINSIM then you can use the Atomic- Systems Album to host your screenshot. If not, you will have to host it elsewhere.

Then if you would like it displayed in the forum, choose the IMG tag at the top, and paste the URL of your picture. Remember to close the IMG tag, and another thing to note is that not everyone is on the fastest connection in the world, some use 56K modems which take quite a while to download big pictures.
i want to be uploaded
Stooopidperson
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Stooopidperson »

petermakosch wrote:MS Paint will not like PSX files
Only XP Paint does not like .pcx files.
If you were wondering, the avatar is me on Planet Stooopid...
NeutronIC
Atomic Systems Team
Atomic Systems Team

Post by NeutronIC »

If you have a newer microsoft keyboard with a Function Lock key on the top row at the right, you must make sure it is OFF for the PRTSC key to function and ON for the function keys to work - I continually get caught out wondering why it's not doing anything when I hit PRTSC :)

I generally press PRTSC, then the windows key to get back to windows, then open PSP 7 and press CTRL-V to paste it straight in and save it out as a JPEG.

Matt.
MichaelGreenhill
Australia's MSTS Nut

Post by MichaelGreenhill »

Stooopidperson wrote:
Wrong. Paint with Win 98 would not read PCX formats either.
Michael Greenhill
Lead Developer, Railpage Australia

Some people are like slinkies; They are not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Stooopidperson
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Stooopidperson »

MichaelGreenhill wrote:
Stooopidperson wrote:
Well, it did for me. But not the one in XP.
MichaelGreenhill
Australia's MSTS Nut

Why would they backpedal and remove compatability for a newer version of it?
Michael Greenhill

Some people are like slinkies; They are not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Stooopidperson
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Stooopidperson »

MichaelGreenhill wrote:Why would they backpedal and remove compatability for a newer version of it?
I don't know, but I did use Paint to save .PCX into .JPG and I do prefer the older Paint than XP Paint since the new one tries to "act smart".
suffolk
Well Established Forum Member

Post by suffolk »

Stooopidperson wrote:
MichaelGreenhill wrote:
Stooopidperson wrote:Only XP Paint does not like .pcx files.
Well, it did for me. But not the one in XP.
Why bother with "Paint" in Win 98, when you open a PCX the default prog is MS Photo Editor.

Update:

Just tried opening PCX files with paint on Win 98, and it does work.
Play Up Pompey.
MichaelGreenhill
Australia's MSTS Nut

Talk about odd. Maybe the upgrade came on a SP that I didn't have installed then :-?
Michael Greenhill

Stooopidperson
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Stooopidperson »

suffolk wrote:Why bother with "Paint" in Win 98, when you open a PCX the default prog is MS Photo Editor.
Now, in XP, the system doesn't even recognise a .pcx file! But at least in 98, the default program was the Kodak Image viewer!
petermakosch
The Midland Mainline Man

Post by petermakosch »

XP does recognise PSX files. Mine open in Photo Editor. It might be because you have to upgrade to SP1 or have some other kind of System Software Installed.
i want to be uploaded
robert159
Established Forum Member

Post by robert159 »

or u could just hit print screen. then Alt + tab your way out of train sime. open paint (or similar) and just past it into a file. this works on anything exempt moves.
LucaZone
vCTRL Developer

Post by LucaZone »

Well once uve got the hang of doing all that and ur fully capable of creating screenshots, why not try a few post production effects.

maybe try and make ur shots look.....old :)

. . : :Simulating the UK's first dedicated high speed line for MSTS: : . .
buffy500
Mr DMU

Post by buffy500 »

robert159 wrote:or u could just hit print screen. then Alt + tab your way out of train sime. open paint (or similar) and just past it into a file. this works on anything exempt moves.
Doing it the other way lets you take many in a single session.

Return to “[MSTS1] Screenshots”