Lake Geneva

Screenshots of MSTS and assorted related tools in action!

Moderator: Moderators

peacockg
Established Forum Member

Lake Geneva

Post by peacockg »

While pondering what to do next I suddenly came over all religious. I think this was brought on by seeing a model of Lausanne Cathedral on Google Earth 3D Warehouse. Taking inspiration from this I decided to have a go myself. As you will see from the image I have 3 models under way.
Lausanne Cathedral is fully textured
The middle model is the Basilica just beside Geneva Main Station.
On the right is my own version of a Cathedral Anywhere

Click the image to zoom in

My next step is to texture the other 2 models, and then to think about Snow texturing - I should be OK with this.
Then it is Night textures, I can make the model dark and the windows glow yellow or even perhaps "stained glass". But when I look at images from Google Earth it is obvious that these buildings are floodlit, and I have no idea how to do this! Any suggestions or even a volunteer would be good.
Garry
peacockg
Established Forum Member

Re: Lake Geneva

Post by peacockg »

Well I found out how to floodlight a building, and it proved to be slightly fiddly but not too difficult. I thought it would be a good idea to write down how I did it, so I could refer to it next time.

First I created a copy of the day ace file, called it night ace and darkened it, and put in the window textures.

The image shows (top left) a section of the day ace layered on top of the night ace.

Then I copied one of the three windows in the bottom row into GIMP. My usual image editor is Paint Shop Pro 5 Beta (given away on the cover CD of a computer magazine many years ago) but this does not have as many features as GIMP.
Using the lighting effect filter

a new window opens that enables you to apply the lighting.

Click the “Light” tab to get this view.

The position of the light is controlled by dragging the blue spot on the small image. You can change the colour of the light by clicking on the “color” panel. You can apply up to 6 light patches on this image. This is why I do it a small section at a time, then you can apply as many light spots as you want to your ace file.
Click OK and the final result is applied to the main picture.

Copy this and paste it back in its original position in your night ace.

Repeat this process until you have applied all the floodlights you want.

The views below show night

and day views of Geneva Basilica.

Garry
model321
Very Active Forum Member
Location: On the Manchester & Leeds Railway (The Calder Valley Line)

Re: Lake Geneva

Post by model321 »

Great work so far Garry.

Matt C

Return to “[MSTS1] Screenshots”