New Forest route not displaying properly in Track Viewer

General MSTS related discussion that doesn't really fit into any of the other specific forums.

Moderator: Moderators

lather
Getting the hang of things now

New Forest route not displaying properly in Track Viewer

Post by lather »

I've just installed Richard Loader's New Forest V2 route, and found an issue with it not displaying properly in MSTS Track Viewer.

If I launch MSTS Track Viewer (via MSTS Swap) and open any of the other routes in that particular installation of MSTS, they display OK. However, if I try and open New Forest V2, I get the error message "Due to missing tsection data, there will be gaps in the track path" and the route is just a collection of isolated dots. If I zoom in, those dots are revealed to be the signals, junction nodes and track terminators, with no actual track visible. If I then go back and try and open any of the other routes, the same error message appears, even though those routes still display correctly. The same issue doesn't seem to be appearing in my other MSTS installations on the same machine, just that one.

The info for the route says that you need at least tsection 32, with 41 recommended, and I have version 42 installed, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

So what's the problem, and how do I fix it?
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Re: New Forest route not displaying properly in Track Viewer

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
Thanks for reporting this problem.
I get the same message when running New Forest from its own installation (on a different drive letter).

However, I'm pretty sure that it's nothing to do with MSTS_Swap, per se, because other routes in the same installation load OK. It's going to take a while to fathom out why this is happening, but, I will return with, hopefully, an answer!!

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
The reason that error is occurring is, strangely, because New Roads is missing! Although it's not included in the readme, it IS required (see the download page for UKTS_22701).

My installation of New Forest (Watersnake) failed because it was a backup of the route, which had never been run, and didn't have New Roads either!

Incidentally, if you installed tsection.dat #42, you may have some problems with UK routes due to points clearance values. I suggest you use #42UK (UKTS_13758) or a later version.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
lather

Post by lather »

That's odd, because the installation where the route is was cloned from my master one, which should have New Roads installed. And the same issue isn't present in other installations for other routes that specify New Roads as a requirement (such as Thames - Trent V3). I'm wondering if maybe mine is still V3.2 and that's why it's happened - possibly while the other routes are OK with New Roads V3.2, the New Forest route needs V4. I'll try installing New Roads V4 and see what happens.

And yes, I'll switch to #42UK.
lather

Post by lather »

OK, tried installing New Roads V4 and that's not helped - still get the error message and no tracks showing for the New Forest route, but all others in the installation display OK.

Also tried updating to tsection #42UK. and that's not helped either.

If it helps any, the other routes in the installation are Dorset Coast V6, London South Coast, East Coastway, Isle of Wight - Pier and London Brighton. (As you can probably guess, this is one of my two Southern Region installations... :D )
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
Are you sure you've installed UKFS v3.1.6 (UKTS_11889)?
If you use that download and your New Forest route is not in the default MSTS installation, you'll need to use my utility UKFS_Install (UKTS_36731).

Changing the tsection.dat file definitely wouldn't help with your problem!!

Cheers,
Ged
lather

Post by lather »

UKFS is definitely installed. When I created my master installation, from which all others have been cloned, UKFS, New Roads, Xtracks and MSTSBin were all included, so all should be there in each of the clones. And all of the other routes that list UKFS as a requirement and are in installations also cloned from the master copy display OK in Track Viewer (I've just gone through them all checking that's the case) and seem to run OK in MSTS itself.

On the off-chance that it had somehow gone missing, I used your utility to re-install UKFS into the installation in question, but that's had no effect and the problem is still there.

Also on the off-chance that it had something to do with it, I've re-downloaded the route. When I first downloaded it, I went for the single-file version, so I tried the six-file version and installed that into my "disposable" test installation, just to try and eliminate another possible cause. Sadly, the same problem shows itself there too, so it's not an issue with the download.

And I didn't really think that swapping the tsection file would help, but as the error message mentions "missing tsection data", I thought it could be worth a try, just in case. Of course, that's not the only tsection file as there's the route's own...

In a previous post, you also mentioned that your installation "failed because it was a backup of the route, which had never been run". Now I've not actually run the route in MSTS yet, as I was using Track Viewer to help familiarise myself with the route. I wonder if that has any bearing on it? I'll give it a try and see...

Edit:
No, that's not the answer. It seems to work OK in MSTS itself, as I launched it in explore mode via Train Store Front End and spent a couple of minutes shunting back and forth in Southampton station before exiting. However, it hasn't solved the issue with Track Viewer. So it looks like the route is working in-game, but for some reason not in Track Viewer (on my machine, at least).
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
Sorry you're still having trouble - it's got me foxed at the moment.

One point you made about the tsection.dat file.
There is one file of that name in the route's own folder - you MUST NEVER change that one as it's part of the route.
The only one you can change is the one in the GLOBAL folder, but it must be compatible with the route. The route was designed to use #38, but because they are backwards compatible, any later version (except #42, as mentioned before) may be used.

Cheers,
Ged
lather

Post by lather »

Yes, I know not to mess about with the route's own tsection file - I mentioned it because I was wondering if it could be some form of corruption of the file or data missing from it. Looking at it in a text editor, it doesn't appear to be corrupted, but not knowing what the actual content of the file should be (how many lines, etc), I can't tell if there's data missing.

On the off-chance it could be an issue specific to my computer, I've tried installing the route on my old one which I used for MSTS until I upgraded. So I started with a fresh download of the route from UKTS, and even on that one the problem still occurs, so I think we can rule out it being a machine-specific issue.

The error message always seems to pop up at about the same point, so I'm wondering if it's an issue with Track Viewer reading the data for a specific tile. I've just run Track Viewer again, and the filename being displayed in the bottom LH corner when it stops and displays the error message is w-006160+014893.w. Closing Track Viewer and re-launching for a second run, the error message appears at exactly the same point, with the same filename displayed. A third re-launch and run, this time using the route in my test installation, also stops at exactly the same point with the same filename displayed. Could corruption of or an error on that tile be responsible for the issue?
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi,
File w-006160+014893.w is the very last one in the folder - maybe Track Viewer is looking for something else?

I tried attaching my file (as a .jpg, because I believe there are limited allowable file types) but it wouldn't accept it - Sorry!

Cheers,
Ged
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi lather,
I don't know whether you've solved your problem yet, but, if not, this is a link to my copy of the World file :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aChWUc ... sp=sharing

Rename yours to something different, then unpack the downloaded .zip file and put the .w file in your World folder, and retry Track Viewer.

Personally, I think it's something else in your installation, but it's worth a try and, of course, I could be wrong!

Cheers,
Ged
lather

Post by lather »

No, I hadn't solved it, and that didn't solve it either.

I think I'll try a fresh MSTS install from scratch on another machine, and see if the same problem happens there.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Adrian,
In an earlier message, you said :
When I created my master installation, from which all others have been cloned, UKFS, New Roads, Xtracks and MSTSBin were all included, so all should be there in each of the clones.
It all depends on what you mean by 'cloned'. If you mean that you copied the whole installation, that's OK, but if you mean you copied only the route's folder, then you'll be missing UKFS, XTracks and New Roads because they are included in the GLOBAL folder; and you'll be missing the Bin Patch because that is within train.exe.

Cheers,
Ged

Return to “[MSTS1] General MSTS Discussion”