Win 10 & Severn Valley/West Somerset route CDs

General MSTS related discussion that doesn't really fit into any of the other specific forums.

Moderator: Moderators

slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Win 10 & Severn Valley/West Somerset route CDs

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Peter,
1. Open the folder containing Utility22.
2. In it, you'll find a folder called dataFolder
3. in that folder you'll see either another folder called Disk1 or a file called data2.cab
4. If there's a folder Disk1, open it and you should see a file data2.cab
5. Wherever you find it, right-click file data2.cab and select Properties
6. Hopefully, you'll see a tick in the Read-only box. Click it to remove the tick.
7. Click the Apply button followed by OK
You appear to be left-clicking it!!

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
PGH60
Well Established Forum Member

Post by PGH60 »

Hi Ged silly me but i managed to install the SVR following what you said and then i put it into Open Rails.The route and all the acts are there but when i click on an activity a box says essential file missing cannot continue,C:\SVR\Global\TSECTION.DAT. Can you help please all my other routes are ok.Thanks.Peter.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Peter,
"Essential file missing" often, but not always, indicates missing .env files. Have a look in the route's ENVFILES folder where you should have 4 files and a TEXTURES folder containing 14 files.
If a log file is created (it'll be on your Desktop), does it give any indication of what may be causing the problem?

Did you follow the Utility22 Readme and copy the supplied SVR batch file (SVR-Batch.bat) into the SVR route folder and run it? It needs some files from MSTS to work properly, although they are only .wav files.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
PGH60
Well Established Forum Member

Post by PGH60 »

Hi Ged ,having tried again i have eventually been able to install the Severn Valley Route and to run it in Open Rails.May i say many thanks again for all the help you gave me to overcome this problem and also other problems in the past.Think i may try installing my West Somerset Route sometimes,may i wish you all the best for Christmas.Thanks again, Peter.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Peter,
That's good news mate!

If/when you install West Somerset Railway, the procedure is just the same as for the Severn Valley Railway except that there's only one CD; there is a WSR batch file to be run.

It's my pleasure to be able to help, and I thank you for your good wishes; I wish you and yours the same for Christmas and the New Year, whatever it may bring!!

Cheers,
Ged
JustAskSpike
New to the Forums

Post by JustAskSpike »

PGH60 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:27 pm Hi Ged silly me but i managed to install the SVR following what you said and then i put it into Open Rails.The route and all the acts are there but when i click on an activity a box says essential file missing cannot continue,C:\SVR\Global\TSECTION.DAT. Can you help please all my other routes are ok.Thanks.Peter.
Hi there

I found OpenRails yesterday, this is all good news, I can try and use my SVR again.
However as much as I try I get the above message.

I have a full install of MS Train Sim
I downloaded Utility 22
I ran it and it made 3 cab files then I extracted to c:\Severn Valley
Then copied this to the train sim Routes folder
Then the only option on Utility22 was Quit
Then I copied SVR_Batch.bat into MS train sim / routes / Severn Valley folder and ran it with Admin privs (it copied 3 files)
But still alas the TSECTION.DAT file was missing

Could I copy it from somewhere?

Thanks in anticipation

Mike
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Mike,
tsection.dat file is not included in the SVR route pack - it uses the original MSTS default file.

You can download a suitable version (#38) from this site :

Click to view more informationGlobal TSection Issue 38 [310842 bytes] - tsection38.zip
File ID: 27747 Date: 30 Nov 2011 - 314 Downloads

It has to be added into the main GLOBAL folder.

Cheers,
Ged
JustAskSpike
New to the Forums

Post by JustAskSpike »

Thanks. I am really grateful for your support.
I copied the file from my MSTS installation rather than downloading the file.
This now starts up SVR. I found that the tracks were missing, did a search, downloaded and installed x-tracks and copied the contents of 3 folders in MSTS Global to SVR global and wow I can now drive on SVR.
It only gets about 1/4 mile out of Bridgnorth and then crashes with "System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range".
I'm checking the website now to see if there are any fixes for this.

Again, thanks very much
Mike
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Mike,
Severn Valley doesn't use XTracks! It expects to be installed into a full MSTS installation which includes the default track system, but it does use its own textures.

The OR log should show why it's failing - I suggest you zip it up and post it (provided the system lets you!!)

I'm pretty certain that you won't find any fixes for running SVR in Open Rails without MSTS support!!

Cheers,
Ged
JustAskSpike
New to the Forums

Post by JustAskSpike »

Thanks for your help.
I can't see a way of adding a zip file

Mike
Last edited by JustAskSpike on Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Mike,
Sorry, mate, it doesn't seem as if we can attach .zip or .txt files to a post.

I was going to send you a PM, but I found out that, due to you being a new member, you are not yet permitted to receive Private Messages.

Cheers,
Ged

Return to “[MSTS1] General MSTS Discussion”