Potteries V2

New to Microsoft Train Simulator 1? Here's a good place to start and find out what it's all about!

Moderator: Moderators

eholly
Very Active Forum Member

Potteries V2

Post by eholly »

Hi Chaps

I installed Potteries V2 several weeks ago and am having trouble resolving the following issue:-

When I open the Train Simulator Route and Activity Selection page, the locomotive option always shows "unknown"! Therefore I cannot run any of the pre-loaded activities.

Any ideas?

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Potteries V2

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Eric,
"Unknown" often means that the case of the file name entered in the EngineData line of the consist file doesn't match that of the 'Engine' entry in the .eng file.

If you run my MSTS_Actman on the route's activities you may see these 'case' errors. Pressing the 'FIX' button will correct them.

HOWEVER, there may be another reason, so, before using MSTS_ActMan, please give details of which activities show the loco as 'Unknown'.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
eholly
Very Active Forum Member

Post by eholly »

Hi Ged

Thanks for responding. Every single one of the activities loaded with the route - all either start with the prefix NSP or NS - show the "unknown" in the loco box.

I haven't installed any of my own activities or created any new ones yet. The route remains virgin - as downloaded!

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Post by dforrest »

Eric, the full install is eleven zip files in eleven downloads. Did you download and install them all? The installation instructions are in zip file 1.
David
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Eric,
I have just installed this route and get 'UNKNOWN' shown for a couple of locos. I have no idea why they are shown as such - all my validations are clear.
However, it's not a problem! You can still run the activity, just press <START> I tried the Blyth Bridge - Tunstall 4P activity.

I applied the patches but the 'UNKNOWN' message persists!

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 12GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 10 Pro 64-bit.
johnbarron
Established Forum Member

Post by johnbarron »

If I run into "UNKNOWN" locomotives I run the activities through the Route_Riter 6 point check on the Activities/Stock tab (I usually leave out the third one).

That usually solves the problem.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi John,
Thanks very much for that pointer!

We had sussed out that the problem was with the TrainCfg line in the consist file - it was all in lower case but the file name and the parameter line in the Service file weren't.

I fixed it by running the '[4] Fix .con files' button.

I wasn't aware that the parameter values have to match, including the case! It looks like I've got to add a check to MSTS_ActMan!!

Cheers,
Ged
eholly
Very Active Forum Member

Post by eholly »

Hi Chaps

Sorry I left this thread for a few days, I've been otherwise engaged. Thanks for all your responses - I'll let you know the outcome when I've tested your solutions.

By the way Ged, I forgot to inform you that I'm running Windows 11 on the new laptop. All my other routes run ok - it's just Potteries2 causing a problem!

Cheers

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Eric,
I'm pretty sure that the problem you've been having with Potteries Loop v2 has nothing to do with Windows 11 (although, with the caveat that I'm NOT running that OS!!).

Cheers,
Ged
eholly
Very Active Forum Member

Post by eholly »

Hi Chaps

I'm pleased to report a fair bit of progress on this topic. I re-installed the whole thing again - (utilising all 11 zips and the 3 patches David) - and also the usual add-on - UKFinescale & New roads etc. I now have locos showing in those previously empty slots. Hurrah!

However, there are still issues remaining reference eng. files and missing shape files from the Global folder - all being reported as "errors" annoyingly. Smooth running isn't happening just yet, but positive thinking will eventually sort this can of worms out!!

Hope you are all well.

Cheers

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

Hi Eric,
I can only speak for myself, but I'm doing OK, thanks :)

It's strange that you're having reports of files missing from the GLOBAL folder, particularly as you say you've installed UKFS and New Roads!

If you are running Open Rails, did you have a full MSTS default GLOBAL folder?

Cheers,
Ged
eholly
Very Active Forum Member

Post by eholly »

Hi Ged

Glad you are well. I'm much improved from where I was a year ago. As to the Potteries. I'm pleased to say pretty well all of the trouble I had earlier has been resolved. Insomuch that I've created a couple of activities (for my own use at the moment) just to get back into the swing of creativity again. It is a nice feeling that most everything is running well and I am enjoying the challenge of remastering those skills I once enjoyed on a regular basis.

Is is just me, or is there a huge amount of unfinished landscape between Leek and Roade? As to Open Rails - no, I haven't installed that on my new laptop.

Cheers

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales
dforrest
Very Active Forum Member
Location: St. Vincent and the Grenadines (and in an earlier life, Hull)

Post by dforrest »

It is good to see you back again at work on activities, Eric!

I am "representing" Bob Pegg, the route author, who has family issues which allow him no time to work on the route. You say that you have installed all the route files and patch files so all the scenery between Leek and Roade should be showing. This was the last addition to the route which Bob completed.
David
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Post by slipperman12 »

HI Eric,
To add to what David's posted :

The Leek to North Rode scenery was added in Patch 3 (UKTS_40191).
At that time, there were three versions of that download. It's possible that you only got the first and/or second. May I suggest that you download 40191 again - the screen and readme have headings of "Patch #3b".

Cheers,
Ged
eholly
Very Active Forum Member

Post by eholly »

Hi Chaps

Wow! Trust me to miss something so important. I'll find and install the correct Patch 3 and then report back.

Eric
Ericio de Rioja
North Wales

Return to “[MSTS1] Help for Beginners”