Prairie Cab

Rail Simulator brings full and high detail 3D cabs to Train Simulation (though by no means the first to do so). Instead of using 2D images you can now create detailed 3D cabs with fully animated controls, here's the place to learn how.

Moderator: Moderators

Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Prairie Cab

Post by Acorncomputer »

Hi Pete

This is impressive work and in such a short time too.
Geoff Potter
Now working on my Bluebell Railway route for TS2021
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

@Dave

Ah right.
I think I had a similar issue with my boiler pressure gauge needle as it's at 30 degrees angle (around the Z) from a nice easy Y axis based rotation. The way I did it (I think!) was to rotate the object so it's local Y axis was at 30 so I could do my rotation around that as I needed. I then rotated the needle mesh in edit mode so it was at -30. Looks odd in Blender as it's at the wrong angle, but when it gets to RS it rotates the object to the correct angle (30 around the Z axis) making it correct again and then rotates around the Y of that.
I probably haven't described that very well (you can tell I'm new to 3D modelling!) but that's about as well as I can describe the trial and error to get it working.
Last edited by karma99 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Links: Shop <> Blog <> Facebook
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

Acorncomputer wrote:Hi Pete

This is impressive work and in such a short time too.
Thanks very much Geoff
I have to admit, it doesn't feel like a short time and I am starting to tire a bit now. But on the home straight as it were so I shall persevere :D
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Acorncomputer »

Hi Pete

Other loco modellers have said that it takes about three times as long to build a cab than to build the loco itself.
This may be a bit exaggerated but does highlight the skill required to do this type of modelling.
There is no doubt that 3D cabs add an enormous amount to the driving pleasure.

A question -

RS cabs do not have opening fireboxes (not so far at least). Is this because it simply cannot be done or is just too difficult to do?
Geoff Potter
davveb
Established Forum Member

Post by davveb »

Pete

Now that's clever, It hadn't occured to me to try offsetting the mesh rotation within the object. I'll give that a try.

Cheers
Dave B
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

Acorncomputer wrote:RS cabs do not have opening fireboxes (not so far at least). Is this because it simply cannot be done or is just too difficult to do?
Pretty sure they do have opening fireboxes, however if you use the auto-fireman that seems to be considered his domain and therefore as the humble driver you're not even allowed to open it! If you try and drag the firebox handle in the Black 5 you get a clinking sound like it's trying to open but won't. That's probably the fireman getting defensive and beating you with his shovel :wink:
If you deactivate the auto-fireman you can use the firebox doors, blower, dampers, injectors, etc, otherwise it's hands off!

As far as animation in cabs (and probably on locos) is concerned, you can animate anything you want to. At it's simplest (ie, smooth on/off animations like the sun visors in the Kuju default stock), you just create a new cab control element in the xml, give it a name, a mouse gesture (up to down, left to right, right to left, etc) which you tie to the model objects name (ie, CyclinderCockLever) so it knows what your mouse should be hovering over in the view and then tell it the animation you want it to use when it's activated.
Some of these are pre-named, like Reverser, Regulator, etc so they are tied to operating the loco (although I suspect these are defined in the engine lua script and could be changed as well) but you can add anything else and call it what you like.

The whole system of elements in RS's file structure is hugely flexible, as we've seen with header boards and buffers able to be added to default stock. The downside is, it's so flexible with so many options, it's daunting to try and get started with it, and there are LOTS of things that aren't documented anywhere.
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Acorncomputer »

Thanks Pete

I usually drive in intermediate mode so the auto fireman must be in charge.
I actually don't get a great deal of time to drive around for pleasure as route building is so time consuming or I am just testing. Probably much the same for you.
It seems that a bit more pleasure driving is required.
Geoff Potter
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

Acorncomputer wrote:Thanks Pete

I usually drive in intermediate mode so the auto fireman must be in charge.
I actually don't get a great deal of time to drive around for pleasure as route building is so time consuming or I am just testing. Probably much the same for you.
It seems that a bit more pleasure driving is required.
100% agree with you there
I have promised myself as much shunting as I can eat once this cab is done :D
pendolinofan
Established Forum Member

Post by pendolinofan »

God knows how I have only just seen this!

Anyway, it's beautiful work. Really well done! We finally have a realistic cab view for some of the brilliant freeware models that have been coming out :) 45xx and 4575 will get a whole new dimention added to the driving experiance with this cab added!

Congratulations on such an excellent piece of work!
Adam
metrobus
Very Active Forum Member

Post by metrobus »

A round of applause is in order i think :D , well done. By the way does the firebox open and close
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

Thanks all.

@metrobus, no firebox opening on this one, but it has animations for most other controls and I've added more since I posted above.

Had an awful week with it this week. I'm going to release it with no shadow model, the RS splinter shadow model and Blender are NOT good friends, and after spending 3 whole days getting absolutely nowhere I've decided that the cab with no shadow is better than me going insane or it never being released.
I also aliased it to the 45xx finally (I've had it attached to the developer sample loco for easy exporting) and found out it was half a metre out to the rear so a coupled coach was passing through the coal bunker as you looked out the back windows :x
That then involved moving EVERY part seperately forwards 50cm, oh and that broke every animation so I had to redo all of those. Like I say, it's not been a fun week in karma's workshop! :(

However, if all the remaining work goes to plan, I hope to submit it over the next 2-3 days :)
metrobus
Very Active Forum Member

Post by metrobus »

well even if it does not have working fire doors it will still be excellent 10/10 :D
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

Ok, no more pictures.. if you want them you can take them yourselves :wink:

Awaiting approval :D

Invalid File ID [21003]
metrobus
Very Active Forum Member

Post by metrobus »

Will you alias it with one of kevmt 45xx in the release, as i have no idea how to do it in railsim. :-?
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

metrobus wrote:Will you alias it with one of kevmt 45xx in the release, as i have no idea how to do it in railsim. :-?
There are instructions in the Read Me file and Kev very kindly allowed me to include pre-edited engine files for the 45xx and 4575. You also need to make a small change to any scenarios you use it in using the RS editor but it's very simple and full instructons are included.

Return to “[RS] Cab View Creation”