Prairie Cab

Rail Simulator brings full and high detail 3D cabs to Train Simulation (though by no means the first to do so). Instead of using 2D images you can now create detailed 3D cabs with fully animated controls, here's the place to learn how.

Moderator: Moderators

lemberg
Well Established Forum Member

Re: Prairie Cab

Post by lemberg »

latimers wrote:That is one very nice cab. Looking forward to its release.

(Pete, I think you took Keith's comment the wrong way. When I read it I assumed it was very much tongue-in-cheek and was actually a compliment on the amount of detail you had already included. That's the problem with the written word - you can't seee the body language that goes with the thought!)
Your right on , would have thought that "LOL" would have give that impression but obviously not. It's stunning alright, going to give others something to aim for that's for sure.
Keith
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

Sorry Keith, I apologise for that. I read it as if you were LOL'ing AT me for being so stupid to forget it. Had a bad day at work. And honestly this is my first complex model for RS and I'm not very confident about this or my rather minimal knowledge of trains compared to most people here so I'm a bit touchy about it not being good enough.
Again, apologies for going off on you.
Links: Shop <> Blog <> Facebook
g0fthick
Very Active Forum Member

Post by g0fthick »

If you need some help with the jockey valve animation I can lend a hand. I'm not familiar with 3D Canvas, but I should be able to help out with a bit of fbf animation sequencing.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
stuart666
Very Active Forum Member

Post by stuart666 »

This is excellent work, this will be a real treat for us GWR fans when its finished.:)

One idle thought (not really related to cabs) but would there be any way to alter the code in a locomotive so that when you select outside cab mode, it defaults to the right rather than the left? Im aware that you press right arrow and get that next, but it would be really nice if it selected right view first. It slightly ruins the imersion of the Invincible class locomotive, not to mention that of GWR locos already built.

Good luck to you anyway, this would look nice to run along my Tetbury branch if I ever get it finished!
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

g0fthick wrote:If you need some help with the jockey valve animation I can lend a hand. I'm not familiar with 3D Canvas, but I should be able to help out with a bit of fbf animation sequencing.
Thanks for the offer mate but it's Blender, still not 3DC :wink: It's not so much a problem of the animation itself. but the issue of a possible lack of animation support in the 0.9 version of the exporter script we have - and unfortunately steamspsi who wrote it vanished off the forums over a year ago and never completed a final version. I'll let you know if I do become unstuck on an actual animation though, thanks for the offer :)

Couple more render pics..

AWS bell and the view outisde

Somewhere to sit down, and somewhere to keep your sandwiches.. or tools maybe :wink:
I also redid all the window handles after I found some much better pictures.
g0fthick
Very Active Forum Member

Post by g0fthick »

karma99 wrote:Thanks for the offer mate but it's Blender, still not 3DC :wink: It's not so much a problem of the animation itself. but the issue of a possible lack of animation support in the 0.9 version of the exporter script we have - and unfortunately steamspsi who wrote it vanished off the forums over a year ago and never completed a final version.
D'oh, that'll teach me to read before I write.

I've not tried it myself before, and I'm not sure if it's possible, but would it be worth trying to export the finished model to 3DS Max for exporting to Rail Simulator?

Either way it's coming along very nicely, the added polys round the washout plugs make a world of difference.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
dick8299
Established Forum Member

Post by dick8299 »

My hat is off to you if you made that in Blender, that is exceptional quality. One of the reasons I left Blender and move to 3DC is the animation issue. The only work around I know of for completing your cab with full animation would be to export the Blender model to a .igs file, and then import that .igs file into 3DC for animating and final export to Rail Simulator. (3DC is infinitely more affordable than 3D Max)
karma99
Very Active Forum Member

Post by karma99 »

Just a quick shot to show I've not forgotten this!
Been busy unwrapping which doesn't make for very exciting screen shots :D but finally managed to get some textures on over the past couple of days.

TheTazman
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TheTazman »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
stuart666
Very Active Forum Member

Post by stuart666 »

Blimey!
TheTazman
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TheTazman »

One wonders if there would be sucha thing as a night cab? nice atmos in steam engine cab at night.
metrobus
Very Active Forum Member

Post by metrobus »

WOOOOOOOOOW, my jaw dropped wide open when I saw this wonderful cab. :D :D
MikeTrams
Very Active Forum Member

Post by MikeTrams »

:D :D :D :D :D :D Looks great!

Remember to smooth those edges on round objects. :wink:

Cheers,
Mike
MeshTools.co.uk
niclouse3
Very Active Forum Member

Post by niclouse3 »

:o :o :o Woww!! Thats Amazing! :)
Please view my Flickr for my latest Train Simulator 2018 screenshots. - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickfarrant
Ooveecouk
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Ooveecouk »

Amazing effort.

Return to “[RS] Cab View Creation”