Help Please

Rail Simulator brings full and high detail 3D cabs to Train Simulation (though by no means the first to do so). Instead of using 2D images you can now create detailed 3D cabs with fully animated controls, here's the place to learn how.

Moderator: Moderators

SAVV01
Been on the forums for a while

Help Please

Post by SAVV01 »

Greetings All,

Here is a pict of the cab I am currently working on (no hood visible outside the windows as I did this a bit backwards and made the cab first).

As you can see, there is drivers controls on EACH side of the loco. I am wondering if anyone knows how to make it so that when the control on one side of the cab is operated, the control on the other side mimics it? I could easily join the throttle and reverser levers (they are simple forward and back levers) however my main issue is with the sanding valves (thats the 4 black taps below the windows) and the brake levers, as these use a center pivot to turn so joining them isnt really any option.

Thanks for any help!
Cheers
Stefan van Vliet

TSNZ Webmaster
http://www.TSNZ.co.nz
Macan92
Getting the hang of things now

Re: Help Please

Post by Macan92 »

sorry i cant help you out but i just must say, thats one hell of a cab you got ther! :D
TheTazman
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TheTazman »

Got there before me. thats fabulosa! PS sorry cannont help either but hopefully someone will put you right.

Keep up the great work.
Macan92 wrote:sorry i cant help you out but i just must say, thats one hell of a cab you got ther! :D
A computer that's more than adequate to run TS
SAVV01

Post by SAVV01 »

Thanks for the kind words. Much to my surprise making the cabview was ridiculously simple. More simple than getting a loco into the sim and prototypically functional anyway :P

Guages etc are still to come, but so far getting everything to work has been very simple - once I printed off a list of what to call the controls.
Cheers
Stefan van Vliet

TSNZ Webmaster
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSderek »

Hi, good work.

If you have the same controls on either side (like in shunters) you have to export the 2 objects animating together into 1 ai file.
However you will only be able to select the control from one side in the sim.
p.s. can you come round and finish mine off please.

regards

Derek
To contact me email support@railsimulator.com, not here.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.com/
SAVV01

Post by SAVV01 »

Thanks Derek, I'll give it a go and see if I can't make something happen. Might have to shuffle some groups around 3dC so that both sides handles export in the same IA file. What fun.

While I am here, I shall ask a question on something else that has me stumped. I can use all the controls via the keyboard, but I'm clearly missing something vital when it comes to using them with the mouse. I click on them, yet nothing happens? Is there a trick to setting up the controls so that they can be used by the mouse?

The exterior model has progressed I'm about 90% done modelling wise - textures still to come. This will allow me to export things that can be seen from the cab windows to the cab model, hood and handrails mostly. Also lets me have a shadow model for the cab now ;)

Hahaha, No thanks. Max confused me a bit too much so I stick with Lightwave then import into 3dC, bit of a round-about process but thats how it has to be, so you can build your own cab :P
Cheers
Stefan van Vliet

TSNZ Webmaster
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSderek »

well what we do is make lods of the controls.

The second lod does not get used, it was meant to be used for people with lower spec pc's i think it still works if you change the sliders, most of the cabs did not get a 2nd lod.

The 3rd lod we make the object much larger, and if a control has a 3rd lod the code will use that bounding box for selection selection.
Excuse my knowledge on Canvas, I will be picking it up soon so will have a better understanding of it.
so;
1_0010_wipers
2_0100_wipers
3_0500_wipers

The 3rd lod scale up the size of the object so it is much bigger but doe snot cross over any other controls.

In max we sometimes had to reset the transform/bounding boxes of the controls. This is needed if the modeler has scaled the object in some way.

sure that sounds like gobbledegook.

regards

Derek

p.s. like your shunter, looks like my 03.
To contact me email support@railsimulator.com, not here.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.com/
SAVV01

Post by SAVV01 »

Right I think I have it, I'll figure out this LOD business in canvas in the morrow, is 01:20 here in NZ! I'll go about adding a nice big brake handle or something tomorrow and get that to work before tackling everything else. Easier that way to find out what the hell has gone wrong when it invariably does.

Don't worry about you're understanding of 3dC, can't be any worse than mine - I use it purely as an exporting to RS tool. Thats where my knowledge of it ends, can't even mkae a textured cube in it :P

It may look like some british thing, but it'd drive down the middle of your tracks! Is for 3ft 6in guage, however that's about the only thing that would stop it running in the UK, as New Zealand has nearly the same loading guage as over there (hence we keep buying up obsolete MkII cars and sticking them on 3ft 6in bogies to use here, after quite a bit of other work. You'd hardly recognise them. So everything else would fit, just the wheels would run down the middle of the track, LOL!
Cheers
Stefan van Vliet

TSNZ Webmaster

Return to “[RS] Cab View Creation”