How to create a Cab Signal?

Rail Simulator brings full and high detail 3D cabs to Train Simulation (though by no means the first to do so). Instead of using 2D images you can now create detailed 3D cabs with fully animated controls, here's the place to learn how.

Moderator: Moderators

MrAnge1o
Getting the hang of things now

How to create a Cab Signal?

Post by MrAnge1o »

How to crate a simple Cab Signal, which would display a Next Signal State, such as Route Monitor signal indicator.

In MSTS *.cvf file this feature looks like:

Code: Select all

CabSignalDisplay (
			Type ( ASPECT_DISPLAY CAB_SIGNAL_DISPLAY )
			Position ( 0 50 20 63 )
			Graphic ( "../../Loco/Cabview/CabSignalDisplay.ace" )
		)
How to crate a similar device in KRS Cabviews?
Russian developers team: RailroadSim.net
My TEM2.
davveb
Established Forum Member

Re: How to create a Cab Signal?

Post by davveb »

It is possible, but not easy. Basically you can do it in a similar way to real life, with signal class type objects sending information to the train. This can be done via the signal ONCONSISTPASS function, using the SENDCONSISTMESSAGE with custom message 15. Engine script needs an ONCUSTOMSIGNALMESSAGE function to process the data and drive the display. These techniques are explained in some threads in the signals forum.
I've used this technique to implement some aspects of the ATP system on the HST, with custom track balise objects sending next signal state and track speed limit to the consist. I'm still playing with it, but I may post it as a "version 2" of the HST physics update.

Dave B
MrAnge1o
Getting the hang of things now

Re: How to create a Cab Signal?

Post by MrAnge1o »

To my surprise, I have not found a function which returns a distance to the nearest next signal. This is necessary to establish the fact of finding a train on current track-block.
The fact that the Russian railways signals is transmitted to the engine in real time, continuously.
To that end, the track signal just knew that the train was between him and the next track signal.
Otherwise, all the track signals of this siding (path) begin to send status messages to train.
There is the collision effect, and the lights on Cab Signal turns into a flashing colorful garland.
Russian developers team: RailroadSim.net
My TEM2.

Return to “[RS] Cab View Creation”