IOW Class 483 To 1938 Tube Stock Cab

Rail Simulator brings full and high detail 3D cabs to Train Simulation (though by no means the first to do so). Instead of using 2D images you can now create detailed 3D cabs with fully animated controls, here's the place to learn how.

Moderator: Moderators

DarrenCarter
Well Established Forum Member

IOW Class 483 To 1938 Tube Stock Cab

Post by DarrenCarter »

Hi all.
I have now finished my 1938 TS cab and I'm going to try and alias it to the RS Class 483 distributed with the IOW addon.
This is my first foray into RS so I'm a bit green on the subject. I've managed to export the model from 3DC into IGS and IA files but where do you go from here.
I have read the tech docs and i'm still struggling. I didn't even realise a right click on the file in the assett editor brought up the blueprints untill extensive searching on the UKTS forum.
I can see this one taking quite some time and trial and error but any help in advance will be most appreciated.
Darren.

overmarze
Very Active Forum Member

Re: IOW Class 483 To 1938 Tube Stock Cab

Post by overmarze »

RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSAdam »

Hi Darren,

If you want to PM me, I can help you go about getting this into the 483 and replace the default cab we have provided.
TheTazman
Very Active Forum Member

Post by TheTazman »

Yup that looks fantastic.

Tazman
DarrenCarter

Post by DarrenCarter »

Right. I managed to get the cab shape into the sim, that was quite straight forward but how do you convert the IA files to BAN files for simulating the controls.
The only file you can export is the IGS so i presume the IA files have to be in the same folder as the IGS and linked to it throught the input mapper blueprint in the asset editor.
Thanks.
Darren.

RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSAdam »

Hi Darren,

Excellent progress.

What I would recommend with regard to the controls and animations is to simply worry about your own cab. Animate all that you want to, and use your own naming convention. Then when the cab is duplicated, just setup the new one to point to all the data you have used.

This I think would be much faster and easier than trying to match everything about the modern cab as inverably there will be some elements of the modern one that are not prsent in your one.
DarrenCarter

Post by DarrenCarter »

Thanks for all your help on this Adam.
So, I put the IGS and IA files in the cabview folder in the asset editor then have to create a new engine blueprint with my named controls because this is the only place to declare the IA files. I take it this means the rest of the engine blueprint will need to be filled in although i can decipher most of this from the 483 xml. Does this go in the engine folder of the asset editor and do i have to create a new input mapper file.
What do i have to export to get the asset editor to convert the IA files. Is it the IGS file or the engine blueprint as the IGS and IA files are declared in the container component in that or is it both.
Sorry for all the questions but I'm really green on this.
Thanks
Darren.
RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSAdam »

Rather than create a new one, have you tried duplicating the engine blueprint and then looking through it and swapping out the original names of files, with the new ones that you use?

This can be done by dropping the Bin file over serz.exe in the main directory and then opening the xml in notepad or your chosen text editor.
DarrenCarter

Post by DarrenCarter »

Thanks Adam for that explanation.
No i haven't tried that yet (and didn't know you could) but i will now when i get home.
I typed in the brake control values from the 483 just as an experiment and it did export my brake IA file to a BAN file so progress is being achieved although the lever did not appear in the sim.
I notice in the docs that a strict naming convention is employed and hardly any linking for the cab objects in the Max exporter.(i.e. 1_0000_cab) Does this apply to the 3DC one aswell as i haven't done this.
I will have to tidy my model hierarchy a bit first. It looks like the cab is exported as one shape so i take it I'll have to merge all the small objects that make up the cab into one big object for export and then the levers and dials for the animations.
I'll keep you posted.
Darren.
overmarze
Very Active Forum Member

Post by overmarze »

Can we have some dirt on the windows please? :D
DarrenCarter

Post by DarrenCarter »

At present there is no glass in the windows but that can be added. I may need a little extra texture for that but i already have two 1024x1024 textures. We'll see how it goes.
Can shadow maps be created in 3DC aswell as the cab would certainly benefit from one of those
gmt59
Been on the forums for a while

Post by gmt59 »

Oh boy it's a bit like being home, great work Darren, looking forward to this.

Glen.
At last a proper picture for an Avatar
Sly401
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Sly401 »

Hi Darren, That is looking absolutely superb

I am pretty new to canvas but I don't think you can do shadow maps perse. however I have been experimenting with a tecnique you may be interested in.

I put the model in an orthographic pose and with a plain flat colour (mid grey ) adjust ambient diffuse and specular plus placing lights so the render shows shadows as I want them.

I then take a screen shot and paste into PSP this then becomes my shadow layer that I use as an adjustment to lighten and darken in one layer and contrast adjust in another..

The resulting texture is then merged complete with shading and reflections, as opposed to shadows

I'm still experimenting but the shaders really bring out any shadows and reflections I have put in there.

I don't know if this is old hat its just a way I found of putting some depth into the textures.

Have fun and well done....... brilliant stuff :D

Sly
DarrenCarter

Post by DarrenCarter »

Hi Sly
3DC can do shadow maps but i ain't having much joy yet. The shadow does appear on the cab in the Asset Editor but not in the sim.

I still can't get my animated controls into the sim despite the asset editor exporting the IA files to BAN's and then editing the 483 engine bin file to point to my animations. The exporter reports -nokeypress-outputdir- . I take it this is because an input mapper blueprint has not been sent with it. I thought the 483 engine one would do this or maybe i have to set one up to export with my controls.
I'm not sure why my cab appears in the sim but without the default 483 controls with it as i haven't changed them.
Darren.

Edit: The shadow does work in the sim i just couldn't see it that well because i was driving on a dull day.
DarrenCarter

Post by DarrenCarter »

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah :D :D :D . Were in.
Finally after hours of frustration i now have a 1938 cab with working controls attached to the default 483 unit.
What a marathon, partly due to my own stupid self.

1st problem where i was being a complete dickhead was that i was changing the default cab engine file only to use an activity to check it that utilises the NSE engine instead. Duh!!!!! :roll:

2nd Problem which was not so obvious to me is that RS required all the animatable control objects to be sent with the main IGS model not as seperate objects. It appears that it's only the animation movement of the object that gets sent in the IA export. The MAX exporter example in the docs is totally irrelevant to 3DC as you cannot animate your objects in the hieracy that is shown in the example. So i left mine as i orignally modelled it and tided up the animations and it worked. YEEEHAAA!!!.

I've got the seedo reading from 0-60mph but the scal is not linear on the gauge and wondered if there is anyway of adjusting the linearity of the gauge. It's about 5mph out by the time you get to 40mph.

Time to tidy up the model know, get the animations perfected, get some windows in and a shadow model and we'll be well on our way
Took the day off work today aswell to try and get this sorted. Holiday time well spent.
Thanks for everyone's help especially RSAdam who started me off on the right course.
Darren.

Return to “[RS] Cab View Creation”