Deleting controls from default cabs

Rail Simulator brings full and high detail 3D cabs to Train Simulation (though by no means the first to do so). Instead of using 2D images you can now create detailed 3D cabs with fully animated controls, here's the place to learn how.

Moderator: Moderators

jamespetts
Well Established Forum Member

Deleting controls from default cabs

Post by jamespetts »

How does one go about deleting existing controls from the cabs from the default stock? I am trying to make a 47/4 by modifying the default 47/0, and, although I have been able to modify the cab textures, I have not been able to remove the buttons and needle for the steam heating equipment, which was not present on 47/4s. Does anybody know how to do this?

Also, would anybody have any ideas how to remove the vacuum braking dials and settings to make the 47/4 air brake only?
James E. Petts
Blackpatch
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Deleting controls from default cabs

Post by Blackpatch »

Well James I'm guessing you've stumped everyone with this. Have you tried a pm to Adam or Derek? :)
jamespetts

Post by jamespetts »

Ahh, actually, I worked it out in the end - perhaps I should have posted an update here. It took an awfully long time of trial and error attempts, though. The class 47 with the deleted steam heat needle and blanked out steam heat dial can be found here:I made a class 47/4 and 47/3 variation, giving the 47/4 a domino headcode, and adding extra weathering to the 47/3 to represent accumulated brake dust that the freight-only class would have been likely to have had (based on photographs) from having to brake heavy freight trains frequently, and being washed less often than passenger locomotives.

It is quite difficult to do: it involves, for each control, deleting three separate entries in the controls blueprint XML file (one must be sure to delete the equivalent part in each of the three sections), and then renumbering all the others (the numbers appear in several places for each control) to match, leaving no gaps in the sequence. If one gets it wrong, either the game will crash, or the controls will appear mangled. I found that using a spreadsheet to correlate each of the three sections and count them most helpful.
James E. Petts
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSderek »

Why don't you send me a screen shot/list of things you want removed from the cab.
I will look into making a new cab variation.

regards

Derek
To contact me email support@railsimulator.com, not here.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.com/
jamespetts

Post by jamespetts »

RSderek wrote:Why don't you send me a screen shot/list of things you want removed from the cab.
I will look into making a new cab variation.

regards

Derek
That's very kind; thank you very much :-) Screenshot below of the basic next step in creating a 47/3 and 47/4 cab, removing the steam heat buttons.

If you have even more time spare, other variants would include an air-brake only 47 cab (with vacuum dials removed and the spaces plated over), and addition (if visible) of ETH controls.
James E. Petts
phill70
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!
Location: Basingstoke, where you just go around in circles and end up where you started.

Post by phill70 »

The ETH controls are one light, and two buttons, one for starting it, and one for shutting it down.
jamespetts

Post by jamespetts »

phill70 wrote:The ETH controls are one light, and two buttons, one for starting it, and one for shutting it down.
Ahh, thank you - do you have any photographs?
James E. Petts
phill70
Location: Basingstoke, where you just go around in circles and end up where you started.

Post by phill70 »

I will have a look around, I am sure I have some.

Glyn
Glyn Phillips
phill70

Post by phill70 »

James

They are not always in the same place, and not always the same style of buttons, on some its a simple switch, depends where it was converted I suppose.

I think the rs 47 is based on 47105, but don't take that as gospel.
Glyn Phillips
rabid
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rabid »

Good lord that is one grotty cab!
Rust, fag ends, and goodness knows what. :crazyeyes:
phill70

Post by phill70 »

not fag ends, bolts :wink:

Most of them looked like that even when I last drove one in 1991
rabid
Very Active Forum Member

Post by rabid »

phill70 wrote:not fag ends, bolts :wink:
Oops, I see that now on closer inspection. :oops:

Still, "Brush type 4, C-reg, 2 new front tyres, one careless (state) owner...". :lol:
jamespetts

Post by jamespetts »

phill70 wrote:James

They are not always in the same place, and not always the same style of buttons, on some its a simple switch, depends where it was converted I suppose.

I think the rs 47 is based on 47105, but don't take that as gospel.
Aha, that's very interesting! It looks like some of the class, at least, used the steam heat buttons and converted them to ETH, so all that I need to do is retexture the surrounds and labels, and not delete the buttons at all. Thank you for that!
James E. Petts
phill70

Post by phill70 »

James
Here is the main place they put them

Top right, next to the orange pipe

As far as I can remember, If the loco was dual heat, it had the eth switch box, but if the boiler had been removed, the switch panel was reused.
It all comes back, well after a bit of thinking :lol:

Glyn
Glyn Phillips
jamespetts

Post by jamespetts »

phill70 wrote:James
Here is the main place they put them

Top right, next to the orange pipe

As far as I can remember, If the loco was dual heat, it had the eth switch box, but if the boiler had been removed, the switch panel was reused.
It all comes back, well after a bit of thinking :lol:

Glyn
Ahh, interesting: I had already found that photograph and used it as reference for the blanking out of the steam heat dial, and noticed that it had no buttons where the steam heat buttons were. That, of course, is a 47/7,since all the vacuum break equipment is removed, too, so it seems that it started life as steam heat only, had ETH added later, and then, even later, had steam heat removed. It might, therefore, just be easier to model the cab variant of a locomotive converted directly from steam only to electric only for the 47/4. Of course, for the 47/3, the buttons would still need to be removed :-)
James E. Petts

Return to “[RS] Cab View Creation”